The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

Ok, I understand it's customary to post a problem. Might be a little old but it's a good 'un.

ABC is isosceles.

AB=BCAB=BC

AB=5AB= \sqrt 5

AC=2AC=2

Find a way to cut the triangle into 4 pieces so that they can be constructed to form a regular square.
Had to post this somewhere and I thought, I spend all my time in f38 so why not here:

Post 1000!!!!!!! :woo: :dance::proud::party:
Reply 1222
Ekpyrotic
Ok, I understand it's customary to post a problem. Might be a little old but it's a good 'un.

ABC is isosceles.

AB=BCAB=BC

AB=5AB= \sqrt 5

AC=2AC=2

Find a way to cut the triangle into 4 pieces so that they can be constructed to form a regular square.

Spoiler

The Muon
Had to post this somewhere and I thought, I spend all my time in f38 so why not here:

...:sigh:

Just joking. Congratulations, I think. :eyeball:
Ah, here's one: Factorize x^8 + x^4 + 1 into four quadratic factors each with real coefficients.
The Muon

When you get to this point you start to realize just how much of your life has been wasted on TSR
Reply 1226
Glutamic Acid
Ah, here's one: Factorize x^8 + x^4 + 1 into four quadratic factors each with real coefficients.

Nice question (a little easy though :p:)

Spoiler

Reply 1227
Find the sum of the infinite series ab+a+cbd+a+2cbd2+a+3cbd3+\displaystyle \frac{a}{b} + \frac{a+c}{bd} + \frac{a+2c}{bd^2} + \frac{a+3c}{bd^3} + \cdots
Reply 1228
Kevin_B
Find the sum of the infinite series ab+a+cbd+a+2cbd2+a+3cbd3+\displaystyle \frac{a}{b} + \frac{a+c}{bd} + \frac{a+2c}{bd^2} + \frac{a+3c}{bd^3} + \cdots

A little easy again

Spoiler

Reply 1229
Nice
Reply 1230
Kevin_B
Nice

Yeah, those identities are pretty much STEP II unofficial syllabus rule number 1 (from my experience)
One my teacher set us last week. It's relatively easy but fun nevertheless...

Evaluate:

0π2xsinx+cosxdx\displaystyle\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \, \frac{x}{sinx + cosx}dx

Spoiler

8 Horizontal
One my teacher set us last week. It's relatively easy but fun nevertheless...

Evaluate:

0π2xsinx+cosxdx\displaystyle\int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \, \frac{x}{sinx + cosx}dx

Spoiler

Too tired/tipsy too work it all out properly now, but:

Spoiler

Reply 1233
sonofdot

Spoiler

Yes, that works. Now what does 1/sinx equal?
sonofdot

Spoiler

Is this a real question or rhetorical?

assuming its a genuine question..

Spoiler

Swayum
Yes, that works. Now what does 1/sinx equal?

so then I would get xcosecx which I could do by parts, but I can't be bothered to do that now :p:
Reply 1236
Hmm... I think this is one of that 0af(x)dx=0af(ax)dx\displaystyle \int_0^a f(x) dx = \int_0^a f(a-x) dx jobs

sonofdot
so then I would get xcosecx which I could do by parts, but I can't be bothered to do that now :p:

Kinda tough integral though, doesn't evaluate in elementary functions
SimonM
A little easy again

Spoiler

Random trivia: (ab)\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \end{pmatrix} is not the same thing as (ab)\displaystyle \left( \frac{a}{b} \right). The latter is something called the Jacobi symbol.
Zhen Lin
Random trivia: (ab)\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \end{pmatrix} is not the same thing as (ab)\displaystyle \left( \frac{a}{b} \right).

Doh
SimonM
Hmm... I think this is one of that 0af(x)dx=0af(ax)dx\displaystyle \int_0^a f(x) dx = \int_0^a f(a-x) dx jobs

Kinda tough integral though, doesn't evaluate in elementary functions

Yep that's the way forward (that's how the teacher expected us to do it atleast)

Quick Reply

Latest