The Student Room Group

Reporting Illegal 'Dodgy' Boxes?.........

My neighbor, a real scumbag if I'm being honest, has got an illegal 'dodgy' box installed in his house just recently - he now consistently watches TV 24/7 at unbearable volumes to the point where I, nor my family, can get to sleep :frown:

Although I know I can (and have) reported him to the police regarding noise levels, does anyone know who I can contact in regards to reporting his illegal cable box?

Furthermore, will reporting him just mean his box will be removed, or will there be other actions? :s-smilie:

I though the TV licencing agency, but I'm not sure..........

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why don't you just ask him to turn it down?
Reply 2
Yh, just tell him to turn it down :s-smilie:
Not that I condone illegal action of this sort, but for Christ's sake, don't be a ******.
Reply 4
How do you know he has an illegal/dodgy cable box, have you inspected it personally? :s-smilie:

Edit: Doubt tv licensing will care, as long as he pays the fee they're not bothered. Plus I doubt it's within their jurisdiction to deal with it.
Reply 5
why didn't you just ask him nicely to turn it down? instead of bitching about it straight away to the police.
Reply 6
Virgin media will pay him a visit quite soon if he's not taking the right precautions.

And just tell him to turn it down, why be a snitch? :P

Or you could just give him empty threats.. 'you gona turn that f*cking **** down or do you want me to give virgin a call?'

and for your information.. they have a fraud line (virgin media) .. where they request grassers to ring up and report people for not being a indebted slave.
Reply 7
squeak
why didn't you just ask him nicely to turn it down? instead of bitching about it straight away to the police.

oh really - thanks, I hadn't thought of common sense there :rolleyes:

rationally, I have asked this guy MANY times to 'keep it down' and he has refused to do so, simply ignoring things

I know its illegal as he has been bragging about receiving 'every channel for a one of £80 payment'

I think it is quite petty to report someone for this yes (even though it is illegal), but if that means I (and my family) will have a peaceful nights sleep, I am prepared to do it
Reply 8
Inter-Company
oh really - thanks, I hadn't thought of common sense there :rolleyes:

lol I love how you pick on me when 2 people said it before I did.
i really want a dodgy box :-(
ask him to sell it to me, seriously!
Reply 10
Inter-Company

I know its illegal as he has been bragging about receiving 'every channel for a one of £80 payment

Exaggerated view of Freesat?
Reply 11
If your sure it's a dodgey box then the very nice people at Virgin Media or Sky will quite happily pay him a visit... :rolleyes:
Reply 12
if you reported anyone in LE$ ud get killed. tellhim to turn it down
Best £80 I've ever spent
Awesome-o
Best £80 I've ever spent

Best cable boxes I've ever stolen.
Reply 15
hell yes.

And say NO to Snitching. Not Cool.
I just to have one and it was class! lol

Dont snitch, just ask him to turn it down.
Reply 17
It will be a cable since you can get chipped Sky boxes

I would complain but think about what kind of neighbor he is - you don't want a chair through your window now :P

If after repeated requests to lower the volume, just threaten him and say you'll report him to the police but don't mention anything about reporting him because of the illegal box. He hasn't told anyone its illegal has he?
Reply 18
generalebriety
Not that I condone illegal action of this sort, but for Christ's sake, don't be a ******.

This. :biggrin:
Hi,
I found the following dodgy box webiste which we will help with your question.

http://www.tastydeals.co.uk/Dodgy-box.php

Latest