The Student Room Group

Bioveterinary Science @ Liverpool

Hi Fellow vetties!

Just wondering if anyone else has aplied for both the D100 course and Biovet at Liverpool?

I've been given an unconditional offer for Biovet (as I'm a re-sitter) and they've asked me to come on one of the visit days. Now I had an interview at liverpool last year for D100 (and recieved an offer) and am having an interview there again for D100 next wednesday. So do you think its worth me going on the Biovet visit day too or not?

Just wanted some friendly advice, as yes I love Liverpool and its definitely where I want to study D100 next year, but I'm not sure if I should spend another day out of school visiting the uni again for my 5th choice?

Thanks xxx :p:
This happened to me but with my 5th choice for NOttingham, and then a Notts interview for D100.

In the end I couldnt be bothered to go twice lol so I didnt go to the 5th choice visit day thing. I got the impression it was more of just an open day than anything
Well, when I went on a biovet open day (admittedly about 3 years ago now) they didn't let us look round the vet school itself at all, so it might not be worth it, if you've already seen the city and accomodation etc anyway.
On the other hand it is an excuse for a day out...:p:
Reply 3
I got a rejection from Liverpool for veterinary but they made an offer instead for Biovet- I've read the they sent me about it, but I was just wandering if anyone had a better idea of how it compares to actual Veterinary science and what kind of things it tends to lead onto?

Sorry if this isn't really the right place, just thought I'd ask when I saw it come up :smile:
Nicole89
Hi Fellow vetties!

Just wondering if anyone else has aplied for both the D100 course and Biovet at Liverpool?

I've been given an unconditional offer for Biovet (as I'm a re-sitter) and they've asked me to come on one of the visit days. Now I had an interview at liverpool last year for D100 (and recieved an offer) and am having an interview there again for D100 next wednesday. So do you think its worth me going on the Biovet visit day too or not?

Just wanted some friendly advice, as yes I love Liverpool and its definitely where I want to study D100 next year, but I'm not sure if I should spend another day out of school visiting the uni again for my 5th choice?

Thanks xxx :p:

Hi! Well done on getting interviews :biggrin: Hope things go well this year!
Reply 5
Roxy2
I got a rejection from Liverpool for veterinary but they made an offer instead for Biovet- I've read the they sent me about it, but I was just wandering if anyone had a better idea of how it compares to actual Veterinary science and what kind of things it tends to lead onto?

Sorry if this isn't really the right place, just thought I'd ask when I saw it come up :smile:

for a start the main difference is that biovet is a bacholers 3 year degree and does not qualify you to be a vet, but i presume you knew this.
In the first year of biovet you do 3/4 of the modules the vets do and in the 2nd semester you do 2/4 of the vet modules. the other modules you do are biological science modules.
the module you dont do in first semester is the module that is mostly histology, in the second semester the 2 you dont do are the limbs module which is largely disections and the body systems 2 module which is a histology based module again.
In the first semester you do 3 modules that cover basic biochem, pharmocology, physiology and husbandry.
In the second semester you do 2 vet modules that are genetics and animal breeding.

In the second year you do less vet modules again and more biology modules,
im not sure about 3rd year.

On graduating if you go on to do the vet degree 2 in 1 at liv its very easy to work out module exemptions. The biovet degree would allow you to go on and do graduate vetmed, but this is in no way an easy route and is even more competitive than undergrad vet med at many of the unis. it would also mean paying higher fees at lots of the unis.
if this is your first year applying to vetmed i would recomend a gap year if you are rejected from everywhere before doing another degree.
Reply 6
Thanks guys for all of your replies. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I might mention it at my interview on wed. Thanks Boticello-I really hope I get an offer and get the grades this year! I want it so much!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Yeah I wouldn't bother to be honest, Nic. Same happened to me with Veterinary Anatomy and D100 (except I was also sposed to have an informal chat at the visit day before they decided whether to give me an offer or not). I ended up just emailing and asking to be excused 'cause I couldn't get the time off work.
They seemed happy with that (and gave me an unconditional anyway :p:).
Reply 8
emilyyy
Yeah I wouldn't bother to be honest, Nic. Same happened to me with Veterinary Anatomy and D100 (except I was also sposed to have an informal chat at the visit day before they decided whether to give me an offer or not). I ended up just emailing and asking to be excused 'cause I couldn't get the time off work.
They seemed happy with that (and gave me an unconditional anyway :p:).

Thanks milly. Seen your sig! have you got a Liverpool offer! Well done you! My interview is tomorrow- hope I can still get there because of the snow! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending