The Student Room Group

GCSE screw up.

Mkay.

I was meant to get AT LEAST mostly As in my GCSEs and winded up with mostly Bs (with about 4 As, one of which in stupid half-course R.E.). Now I'm freaking out because I really want to do vet. science at uni and it's REALLY competitive. I know I'm up against people with A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*...
(Well, maybe not everybody but a fair handful.)

I screwed up my GCSEs because it was a really tough time. People at my old school were mean and someone I was really close to died. Because of this I did no work whatsoever as I didn't see any point, my coursework SUCKED and what's worse is that most of my teachers did jack all about it (I did ask for help with the people bothering me thing btw).

I've moved schools and applied to do some volountary work at veterinary clinics and such, I also have a little experience working in other areas of the medical profession. I'm still freaking out about my GCSEs.

What are my chances of getting into Oxbridge vet school if I did get AAA? And what about any other Vet school given the right grades?

Anyone else want to share?:wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
FallenPetal
Mkay.

I was meant to get AT LEAST mostly As in my GCSEs and winded up with mostly Bs (with about 4 As, one of which in stupid half-course R.E.). Now I'm freaking out because I really want to do vet. science at uni and it's REALLY competitive. I know I'm up against people with A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*...

I screwed up my GCSEs because it was a really tough time. People at my old school were mean and someone I was really close to died. Because of this I did no work whatsoever as I didn't see any point, my coursework SUCKED and what's worse is that most of my teachers did jack all about it (I did ask for help with the people bothering me thing btw).

I've moved schools and applied to do some volountary work at veterinary clinics and such, I also have a little experience working in other areas of the medical profession. I'm still freaking out about my GCSEs.

What are my chances of getting into Oxbridge vet school if I did get AAA? And what about any other Vet school given the right grades?

you mean cambridge?
oxford doesnt do veterinary

did you not get special consideration for extentuating circumstances?
FallenPetal
Mkay.

What grades did you get in the sciences/maths/english? They are the GCSEs that are taken most into account.
Its very unlikely that everyone applying will have straight A*s, in terms of Cambridge they seem to want majority As/A*s but take extentuating circumstances into account.
It sounds as though you need to go and reasearch veterinary a bit more thoroughly. Go to each vet school's website and download the prospectus from the uni website and in there will be a description of what they require at GCSE.
If you worked amazingly hard and got all A's at AS I think you would be fine :smile:
rupertbear91
If you worked amazingly hard and got all A's at AS I think you would be fine :smile:

This.

A levels/predicted grades are much more important.
Reply 5
Well for the record I got As in maths and science.

Oh yeah, I forgot Oxford didn't do Vet sci. - too used to typing Oxbridge. Doh! xDD

I've looked at the UCAS page for vet. and similar subjects and most of them say they like students to have at least 5 As at GCSE. The only exception for this is Cambridge which oddly just ask for a pass (A-C) in maths and science o.o
Reply 6
Most people will have good GCSE results, as well as good A level results. But, there will be exceptions to that sometimes. A lot of it will depend on what you get in your alevels. What subjects you are doing, and what you are predicted.

Like has been said, the most important ones are maths, english and science. Your a's in maths and science are good, but what about english?

Tbh, you are better having a look at each universities information on vet sci individually, rather than via ucas. They will all have there entry requirements on there, so will state what GCSE grades they expect (and in what subjects). With there not being many vet schools anyway, its not that big a job looking it up on each site.
Reply 7
OK, now that you haven’t perhaps got the grades you had the potential to achieve; you should work on primarily your A-levels of course, but secondarily, work on your UCAS... Make yourself stand out.

Becoming a vet is as you understand very competitive, and at top Uni’s such as Cambridge, you pretty much DO need a set of A*’s, that’s the realism of the situation. That is not to say that going to any other Uni is bad? You must do research into what Uni’s look deeply into GCSE’s… there are, as I’ve looked into in medicine, some university’s that do not look at GCSE’s and are more interested in a non-academic orientated person (that is not to say they will accept you with bad A-levels of course).

You should definitely not feel down about your situation, as in fact you are fields ahead of many others, with you work experience, and if not that in large quantity, you understanding for the components needed to become a Vet.
Reply 8
There is a general saying which states that once you have completed a higher level of education the previous one gets forgotton - although this is not exactly the case - the weighting gets less, e.g. your AS/A levels tend to be considered over GCSE, then a degree over A levels and so on
Your GCSE's aren't really all that bad providing the lowest grade you got was a B in and subject then for most places that is fine they want good A level grades, because if you stuff those up then it means getting high marks in your degree and its a long way round and very expensive...

I got good GCSE's mixes of A* A's and B's over 13 GCSEs - but then BDD at alevel as i was seriously ill.... but i've gone on to be looking at a strong 1st in my science degree now - i pulled it off and have a place at vet school..... you way off the point yet of have 'screwed it up' you have several years now to be everything a vet school wants you to be if thats what you really want.
Reply 9
I only got 4 A's and 5 B's and I've got two interviews so far so I don't think they're so cut throat about GCSE's as you think. As long as you concentrate really hard on your A levels and show them you can work to the high standard required in those then I'm sure it won't be much of a disadvantage.
Reply 10
I can't be possitive of course because I've not looked into anything to do with veterinary BUT I do know that A Levels count a lot more than GCSEs and when applying to university you could mention in your PS about your circumstances at the time. Remember though, Oxford isn't the only university in the world, there are some lovey Universities besides Oxbridge. Good luck :smile:
OK I hate to say this yet it does need to be said. Getting into Vet school is really hard and your GCSEs are way below the standard that universities will be expecting and you may get four rejections. I do think that it is harsh that people are judged so highly on their GCSEs when applying for medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences or economics at lse yet you must understand that unis need some way of differentiating between candidates. However do not lose hope! Someone above said they did get a couple of interviews with similar grades so if you apply to unis which do not but as great a focus on GCSEs you should be in with a shout!
If the A's are in science and maths as you say, then that's fine I'm sure, providing you get the A's at A level.

Oh and forget oxbridge (Oxford doesn't do it), and Cambridge isn't where you wanna be, there's well better ones than there :p:
In regard to the above 2 posts, they are slightly misinformed. EDIT: Opps, not TAD's post :biggrin:, I mean post #12 and #11, and post # 8 for that matter...
The admission system for Veterinary is very different to most normal systems.

OP, I'll post a quick rundown of each unis requirements:

Cambridge: "GCSE passes at grades A,B or C in Physics, Biology (or Double Award Sciences) and Mathematics" And then a pass in English.

Bristol: "Wide spread required at good grades to include Maths, English Language, Chemistry, Biology, Physics (or Double Science). "

Edinburgh:"If Physics has not been studied at 'A' level a good pass at GCSE is required."

Glasgow: "All applicants should note that whilst Physics is not a requirement for entry, knowledge of this subject to GCSE, SCE Standard Grade or SCOTVEC level, would be beneficial."

Liverpool: "A good range of GCSEs
Grade B in Mathematics, English, Physics (or Dual Science including Physics)."

Nottingham: "minimum of five grade As at GCSE to include chemistry, biology and physics (or double science), minimum of grade B in maths and English language; grade A at AS level physics can compensate for achieving grade B at GCSE"

RVC: "At least five grade As including:

* ‘Double Science*’ award at AA (or an A in Biology and A in Chemistry if taken as separate GCSEs)

And grade A or B in:

English Language

Mathematics

Physics (if taken as a separate GCSE)"

In conclusion, you should be fine as long as the rest of your application is good. Make sure you get 3 predicted As and plenty of work experience.
just make sure you get As in all your AS levels, then you'll have evidence of being able to achieve better as well
Reply 15
Yeah

I just really want to know whether it's worth pursuing or not xDD

Thank you to all the people who posted, I appriciate all of your opinions :biggrin:
Don't worry!
Universities are interested in what your potential is not a grade on paper!

Get your head down for your AS and A levels so you can show you'll cope with the workload when you get to uni.
Get involved with extra-curricular and build up your work experience. All the applicants have high grades. That's not what makes you stand out.

Find a practice near you and start building up a relationship with them, get in there and start getting practical experience! Get something under your belt which stands out. There are several zoos that are open to having students. Bristol zoo takes on alot of students for keeper experience but a lot of the smaller zoos are helpful too.

If you want to do it, don't let it get you down. If you're not sure if you want to do it, then reconsider
OllyH
EDIT: Opps, not TAD's post :biggrin:, I mean post #12 and #11, and post # 8 for that matter...

Escaped some serious neg repping by the skin of your teeth young man!

Joke x
Reply 18
For the run-down, OP, listen to Olly. The fact that he posts quotes directly from Uni admission's policies indicates that the advice he offers is worth listening to.

At the end of the day as long as you meet the minimum requirements laid down by the universities you stand a chance. Obviously you'll be at some disadvantage compared to those candidates with straight A*s - but that's nothing you can't combat as long as you strengthen your application in all other ways possible and make yourself a more competitive candidate.

You will need to attain good A-Levels in order to indicate your ability, as well as scraping together as many work experience placements as you can. Pay attention to both the duration and variation of your placements. You also have to appreciate that you need to be learning stuff from the placements, not just attending them. What do they teach you about the career? What skills are you acquiring that will be useful? This is what you need to be focussing on when you're sat in the corner of the vet's consult room.

Finally take a look at your extra-curriculars. While not as important as what people have written above they do carry some weight as they indicate the type of person you are, and allow admissions tutors to hazard a guess at your aptitude for veterinary medicine.

If you tick all those boxes you stand a fair chance of being interviewed - and after this point it's up to you to fight your corner; grades carry much less influence post-interview (apart from where it comes to meeting the conditions of any offers, obviously).

Good luck :smile:

Oh, and TAD? Loving the man-kisses :wink:
R.e. Cambridge: As a rule of thumb if you are predicted 3As at A level you should get an interview, and then you have the chance to prove yourself in person. A good interview will go a lot further than paper grades so if you work hard to get those AS grades.

Latest