The Student Room Group

A Levels to work for MI5/6

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ON top of your A levels, you could do an NVQ in Intelligence Analysis.

It sounds cool, but in reality it's probably just watching (mostly boring) CCTV coverage etc.. ::
Reply 41
no i didnt, i said I work for the civil service
and that i can speak 4 languages fluently, yes, whats your point.
At no point have i said i work for MI5
Reply 42
You need a DEGREE.
Not A levels.
Reply 43
carrotdog

Don't be silly, you made it blatantly obvious that you were pretending you worked for MI5. Why would someone who worked for the civil service put
carrotdog

I work for the "civil service" as we call it.

That would be like saying: I go to "school", as we call it. :biggrin:

Not to mention I'm almost certain the normal civil service doesn't employ translators :awesome:
Reply 44
Politics/history, geography/economics, maths/biology, arabic/chinese.
That might be a good combo.
Reply 45
Shows how much you know, but I'm frankly not prepared to be put down by someone who seems to have little or no idea about the mechanics of internal govenrment and the civil service.

Lets just leave it, if you want to continue this argument over a pm, be my guest. Otherwise lets just leave it for the sake of cluttering up a public forum.
Everyone should ease up on the OP, it's a legitimate question but it does show that they haven't researched the application process fully. As for the fact that she now can't apply because they posted on here...they can't apply for another five years (minimum) anyway, so posting fairly annoymously on a (pretty annoymous) internet help site shouldn't be too much of a obstacle.

They require you to have a degree with a classification of 2:1 or higher. In reality they're probably looking for certain subjects from certain universities - most likely languages, sciences, mathematics, computer science from the top 20 universities. Some degree/uni combinations will be more useful than others - if you apply with a first in Maths from Cambridge, they don't need too much further proof that you're bright.

In short A-levels don't matter a massive amount - they're a means to an end, the end being your degree. So choose what your good at, and therefore what you'll achieve most highly in. As others have said, they seem to take on a lot of bi-lingual people so learning a second/third language can't be a bad thing. Anyway, best of luck.
Reply 47
I've got a few mates who might help you jump the queue where applications are involved.
To get in touch with them just ring 118 118 and ask for a number for either james bond, pink panther, or Blue (from Blue's Clues)
hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 48
Doest matter at all. And you cant tell anyone you intend to join - if you cant keep your application hush hush, whos going to trust you with national secrets?
Reply 49
Speak in a heavy scottish accent and learn to introduce yourself with your last name first name then last name again
Reply 50
Texan88
Speak in a heavy scottish accent and learn to introduce yourself with your last name first name then last name again

What like "English, Johnny English"
Reply 51
More like Bond James Bond
Reply 52
Or for me it would be Johnson Mitchell Johnson
Reply 53
Texan88
More like Bond James Bond

I am perfectly aware of that, I was merely joking about a film done by Rowan Atkinson.
elwoodc
Well as we don't even know her real name, and she's not currently in the process of applying (is just thinking about it in the future) I think she's safe!

History and maths are a good two options I think

You appear to be under the impression that posting your future job application for the Security Service, online and furthermore on TSR, is beneficial. Well I take it you wont be applying.
Reply 55
why are people saying arabic?

You're probably not going to need it unless you look arabic and speak it fluently (which you can't do at A level).
Reply 56
carrotdog

:rofl:
Reply 57
Master Polhem
You appear to be under the impression that posting your future job application for the Security Service, online and furthermore on TSR, is beneficial. Well I take it you wont be applying.

I never said it was benefitical in the slightest, only that I doubt it will harm her application seeing as she isn't even sure she's definitely going to apply, and we are unaware of her real identity
And um, no I won't be applying thanks... is that a point..? :s-smilie:
I recommend applying to Pembroke College, Cambridge - the Master here is former head of MI6 Sir Richard Dearlove, and he's always running talks on security and politics issues!
Nonsmoking
I recommend applying to Pembroke College, Cambridge - the Master here is former head of MI6 Sir Richard Dearlove, and he's always running talks on security and politics issues!

Surely coming from Cambridge would be advantage enough for someone looking to join the security services :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest