The Student Room Group

Privately taking A Levels?

Am choosing my AS Level subjects at the moment and have finally decided to close in on English Lit, Drama, Chemistry and Biology.

But, I really LOVE french and am also doing it as a GCSE and would love to continue onto AS but am not really keen on dropping anything. Most people want me to drop Drama.. but I love it- its the one I am interested in after English Lit.!

So can I maybe do it privately after I self teach myself?
What would I have to do exactly? (Centre, Enrolling and stuff? )

Oh, and just wanted to know anyone who has done Gujarati, Hindi and Law as a GCSE or A level privately.

Thanks!
you can do it at a local adult community college? But surely your college will allow you to do five, if you think you can handle the workload?
hi
I'm taught german by a tutor as my school wouldn't let me do german and music

I asked the school to enter me for the exam and I wasn't charged extra. the teachers at school have been really supportive, giving me extra handouts and notes.
Reply 3
Shelly from London
you can do it at a local adult community college? But surely your college will allow you to do five, if you think you can handle the workload?

Nah, they think it is absurd that I want to do that :confused:

I dont really want to use a college to do that because I would have to pay and also attend classes. I want to self teach myself and then simply give the exam..
anurules
Am choosing my AS Level subjects at the moment and have finally decided to close in on English Lit, Drama, Chemistry and Biology.

But, I really LOVE french and am also doing it as a GCSE and would love to continue onto AS but am not really keen on dropping anything. Most people want me to drop Drama.. but I love it- its the one I am interested in after English Lit.!

So can I maybe do it privately after I self teach myself?
What would I have to do exactly? (Centre, Enrolling and stuff? )

Oh, and just wanted to know anyone who has done Gujarati, Hindi and Law as a GCSE or A level privately.

Thanks!

Private A-levels:

Read up on it on www.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_private.php

You need to choose a exam board and syllabus, checking that the specification allows private candidates. Think about the optional units and stuff too.

You also need to find a centre. Any school who is willing to accomodate you for those particular units. There are some private schools in London that allow lots of private candidates. For A-level French, lots of places refuse to do oral exams. You will need to undergo the register / provide proof of identity sufficient to that centre. You will almost certainly need to pay the exam entry fees, which will normally be higher for oral exams; there may be extra admin costs too.
it can be expensive doing the whole thing yourself.

im self teaching two of my a levels and the school are acomodating the exam.

chances are if they think its insane then theydont think you could handle the work load.
Reply 6
I've self-taught myself two A-levels and it is hard work and rather expensive. Pick your Exam board carefully and keep in mind that finding an exam centre in your area will be a ****. I had to travel 40+ miles everyday for two weeks but there are many positives about self-teaching. No coursework, no tutors :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hisoo
I've self-taught myself two A-levels and it is hard work and rather expensive. Pick your Exam board carefully and keep in mind that finding an exam centre in your area will be a ****. I had to travel 40+ miles everyday for two weeks but there are many positives about self-teaching. No coursework, no tutors :biggrin:

No coursework, no tutors is possibly the best thing someone said to me today :biggrin:
Reply 8
Ask them again to let you do 5 A-levels??? Get you parents involved if you have to.... Most people at my school do 5, some even do 6 so it really shouldn't be a problem as it isn't that unusual!!
Your school might not be able tofit it all in the timetable, but I'm sure they will be able to enter you for the exam
Reply 10
jacketpotato
Your school might not be able tofit it all in the timetable, but I'm sure they will be able to enter you for the exam

I might just convince them to do that! Thanks!
Reply 11
Hisoo

wait hang on if you were self teaching yourself, with no course work or tutors what did you have travel around for 2 weeks for? Don't you just show up to the center on exam day? or do you need to pick up material from there?
Roxan
Don't you just show up to the center on exam day? or do you need to pick up material from there?

:eek: No.

You have to find a centre that will do the exam, then actually register, telling them what board, codes, etc., as well as providing proof of ID, and finally paying :mad: .
Reply 13
so you pay at the end of it, how cute...and where would I find an exam center in Canada? I assume the local college would be a good place to start
Roxan
so you pay at the end of it, how cute...and where would I find an exam center in Canada? I assume the local college would be a good place to start

British A-levels are hard to come by in Canada (more popular in the US: see http://www.cie.org.uk/countries/usa/resources), but CIE and Edexcel do A-levels internationally so that's a possibility. I think the British Council will do them, again for a (highly exorbitant) fee. But you'd still have to hunt down a centre at which to do A-levels.

Latest