The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Hey All,
Just to inform you that you can now apply online for Student Finance for the 09/10 year.

Go to this page to apply:
http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680119&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

After about an hour and a half of filling in pages and getting my parents to fill in some forms, I have successfully sent my application off. :]

Good luck everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I announced this previously in my 09/10 applications thread though, and some weeks ago too >.<
Reply 2
I did look in the thread and it said that apps would open on the 9th Feb. It's the 7th today, so I'm just announcing that they have opened earlier than expected. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post before.
Reply 3
Taiko - how could you lie to me :frown:

Not sure how much my tuition fees are. What happens if I apply for the max and its more than I have to pay? :confused: (I am on placement so its all different to normal)
When is it asks you to choose where you are studying (and that list from UCAS comes up) do you just choose your firm/the one you plan (praying) to go to? Because there's nothing there for my insurance.

andd, when it asks you if you want the basic loan and not to apply for anymore, is it normal to just say yeah that's cool? My family earn a decent wage so I'm assuming I don't need to apply for extra? IDK, my 'rents are away and I'm doing this myself haha probably all wrong...
Reply 5
The information I was given by the SLC was that LEA system and all websites would be down until Monday. I mentioned LEA system was live from then and that it should be around after. I've never known them to actually release it before the functionality LEA side is available. Personal advice would be to not apply until maybe Tuesday.
Reply 6
Well I am attempting to apply now lol just because I am extremely bored.

It seems to know you my uni but not my course - but still asks for all my info. I'm like, I'm on the same course as I have been the past 2 years lol. Dear me. Nevermind.

Also the progress bar doesn't work.
Can you apply if you hold no offers? =S
Can you only apply if you've already chosen your firm and insurance?
Reply 9
Yes you apply for the university you are most likely to go for. Although if you have UCAS etc. you can log in and it pulls all the info from that, so it might be worth waiting?

It asked for my course - chose it - had all the wrong info about the course (it says its BEng when its BSc and says its at Stoke when its at Stafford *sigh*).

I cannot go any further anyway because I don't know tuition fees and its asking for it, will go into uni and ask then.
Why is there nothing about grants on here? I don't understand this ********.

Isn't the tuition fees 3225?
Reply 11
GrahamFromJeremyKyle
Why is there nothing about grants on here? I don't understand this ********.

What do you need to know?
Orthala
What do you need to know?

I don't even know. I thought it was all to do with household income but I haven't had to fill in anything about that. I've finished it and it says

Assessment Type - Not Based on Household Income

and I just clicked to get the maximum tuition fee loan and maintenance loan (which is normal right?)

IDK, I don't even know what a grant is bwhaha.
Reply 13
One of the first questions I think is something like "Do you wish to provide details about parental income?" and you clearly pressed no lol. Therefore you won't get grants are you aren't being income assessed.
Orthala
One of the first questions I think is something like "Do you wish to provide details about parental income?" and you clearly pressed no lol. Therefore you won't get grants are you aren't being income assessed.

Meh, I think I've applied for the wrong thing, because that question wasn't there.

and the OP says it took him an hour and a half to fill it all in, it took me all of five minutes :woo:
Reply 15
Yeh not sure how it took an hour and half.

Yeh its not at the beginning and I am only 20% way through and can't get any further (not sure how much tuition fees are this year for meee).

It might have been further on. Can't help you there because I can't get any further lol.

Have you fully submitted it yet? Usually you can complete it then theres a button which you have to press to actually submit it.
I went to the student finance calculator and put in my parents income and they completely halved the amount I can get for my maintenance loan - *******.
yaay!!! more national debt...
Orthala
Yeh not sure how it took an hour and half.

Yeh its not at the beginning and I am only 20% way through and can't get any further (not sure how much tuition fees are this year for meee).

It might have been further on. Can't help you there because I can't get any further lol.

Have you fully submitted it yet? Usually you can complete it then theres a button which you have to press to actually submit it.

The thing I have just been on had no progress bar... AHHH what have I done?

I have completely hijacked this thread, sorry.
So you can only apply when you've chosen your firm and insurance, yes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending