The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Pros for Derwent - Really good college atmosphere/spirit.
Great events.
Bar is pretty good (little bit cafe esque though)

Negs for Derwent - Hideous building I think
Like I said bar is a bit like a cafe, but not a big issue really.
University of York
York
Reply 21
It's a good community, sacrificing the niceties like en-suite. I'll have a think about some proper pros and cons, pretty sure they'll have been covered before though. Lack of luxury really doesn't matter in the scheme of things. I paid £1900ish in 2004-2005 :biggrin:
Sorry if any of this is repeated, I've only skimmed the thread.

Langwith is really shiny now, they did it all up over the summer. Finally the YUSU bar is open too which is also really nice (and does decent food). I've yet to go to an event thee though, so I don't really know what it's like at night. The rooms can vary quite a bit, A block was done up (or at least the kitchens were) at the start of last year, C was too (I think), and I've never been in B block. D block has en-suites though, although the rooms very in size a lot (my room was one of the biggest on the floor, along with another couple, the one next to me was tiny, there was one double room and the rest were normal). There's also E and F blocks in the Derwith extension. There's a couple of pics of my room here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28321609@N00/sets/72157606452312060/
Reply 23
slugonamission
Sorry if any of this is repeated, I've only skimmed the thread.

Langwith is really shiny now, they did it all up over the summer. Finally the YUSU bar is open too which is also really nice (and does decent food). I've yet to go to an event thee though, so I don't really know what it's like at night. The rooms can vary quite a bit, A block was done up (or at least the kitchens were) at the start of last year, C was too (I think), and I've never been in B block. D block has en-suites though, although the rooms very in size a lot (my room was one of the biggest on the floor, along with another couple, the one next to me was tiny, there was one double room and the rest were normal). There's also E and F blocks in the Derwith extension. There's a couple of pics of my room here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28321609@N00/sets/72157606452312060/

Thanks, I wanna try and add as many opinions as possible and as much info as possible... and try and condense it into the first post - thank-you for your input :woo:.
Annie354
Thanks, I wanna try and add as many opinions as possible and as much info as possible... and try and condense it into the first post - thank-you for your input :woo:.

This is good stuff. Like a pet project. And you never know - might be one of those things that you get a bit of rep from every now and then. :biggrin:

How could you not choose York what with doing all this and having so much fun in the Yorks Unis section?

:tongue:
Reply 25
IeuanF
This is good stuff. Like a pet project. And you never know - might be one of those things that you get a bit of rep from every now and then. :biggrin:

How could you not choose York what with doing all this and having so much fun in the Yorks Unis section?

:tongue:

Yep, it's my new project :biggrin:. Sod my extended project, RES essay and general A-level work :woo: This is more fun

I dunno, but there has been way more fun to be had in the York uni section, think I should base my decision on that? :tongue:
Part of me doing this is trying to get more interested in the prospect of going to York, 'cause technically I really should.

And I know I'm a rep whore, but I was hoping you wouldn't notice :surprise: <--- Why the hell is this smilie called surprise?
Annie354
Yep, it's my new project :biggrin:. Sod my extended project, RES essay and general A-level work :woo: This is more fun

I dunno, but there has been way more fun to be had in the York uni section, think I should base my decision on that? :tongue:
Part of me doing this is trying to get more interested in the prospect of going to York, 'cause technically I really should.

And I know I'm a rep whore, but I was hoping you wouldn't notice :surprise: <--- Why the hell is this smilie called surprise?

Maybe they did a survey of what sexual abusers usually say when they, err, sexually abuse...

Why is this one :eviltongue: called eviltongue? It's hardly an evil tongue...
laser
Not quite. It's expanding onto where Goodricke is now, but not from next year. They're going to be knocked down and rebuilt first.

Also, with Hes East, Derwent will probably move to be the most central college (being the eastern most point of Hes West), and also Alcuin won't be near to Law, TFTV or Computer Science next year.

But other than that it's fairly accurate (apart from Goodricke being the best college on campus, obviously - Alcuin ftw!)

No, TFTV and Law are staying until 2010 apparently with a gradual transition. I think it'll be interesting to see what Hes East does to the current campus!
Reply 28
lazzyfuzzylou
No, TFTV and Law are staying until 2010 apparently with a gradual transition. I think it'll be interesting to see what Hes East does to the current campus!

Oh right, I assumed TFTV would be among the first to move, as they're currently based in offices at the Science Park
laser
Oh right, I assumed TFTV would be among the first to move, as they're currently based in offices at the Science Park

Ha ha yes.. much to my boyfriend's dismay (he does WDP).
If you get allocated a twin room is there any way of getting out of it? There's no way I'd want a twin room. :indiff:
Reply 31
rainbow drops
If you get allocated a twin room is there any way of getting out of it? There's no way I'd want a twin room. :indiff:

As a general policy the university of York doesn't allocate twin rooms to students and I'm pretty sure there is no specific option for it when choosing your accommodation.
As far as I'm aware a lot of people were placed into shared rooms this year because there were too few rooms for freshers. Students were apparently placed in twin rooms, outside accommodation and random rooms around campus. I guess they had to stay there until a room on campus became available, most likely when someone dropped out.
If you don't like being placed in a twin room I guess you'll just have to be very proactive when it comes to getting yourself another room without pissing anyone off, or you could just settle for accommodation at a different college or off campus.
Reply 32
Annie354
As a general policy the university of York doesn't allocate twin rooms to students and I'm pretty sure there is no specific option for it when choosing your accommodation.
As far as I'm aware a lot of people were placed into shared rooms this year because there were too few rooms for freshers. Students were apparently placed in twin rooms, outside accommodation and random rooms around campus. I guess they had to stay there until a room on campus became available, most likely when someone dropped out.
If you don't like being placed in a twin room I guess you'll just have to be very proactive when it comes to getting yourself another room without pissing anyone off, or you could just settle for accommodation at a different college or off campus.

Twin rooms are 2% of the rooms on the current campus, and are only used as a measure of last resort. With more accommodation becoming available, I doubt the same situation as this year will happen again. Anyway, people do drop out of Uni during the first term, and if you're in a twin room, you're pretty much top of the list to be relocated if you want
If I were you and was put in a twin room, I'd wait for the other person to move out - then you get a giant room with 2 beds that you can put together to make a double bed! That's what happened to my bf and it's awesome!

Alternatively, you might end up with someone you really like - happened to two of my best friends, they are sharing a room and now they're so so close and are living together next year!

But if you really don't like the twin room thing, you will be at the top of the list for reallocation (excluding those who have to live off campus!). So don't worry - you'll be in there for about 5 weeks at most.
Reply 34
Café Fiesta, Café Sol? Derwent's bar/cafeteria is called Doodles :smile:

Also, might want to add the SU bar (The Courtyard) to Langwith. Also, Halifax has its own Costcutters.
Reply 35
laser
Café Fiesta, Café Sol? Derwent's bar/cafeteria is called Doodles :smile:

Also, might want to add the SU bar (The Courtyard) to Langwith. Also, Halifax has its own Costcutters.

Thanks, will do... :s-smilie: Maybe I should check the date of my sources of information :tongue:
Halifax is really good. i was dissapointed that i was put in there at first but it turned out to be amazing. the rooms are really big and its pretty new compared to the others. downside is if you get in a house and dont mix with the other people, in which case tag along to others in freshers week, and the other downside is the events arent as good. but still i would say its the best college
silent_nanny
Halifax is really good. i was dissapointed that i was put in there at first but it turned out to be amazing. the rooms are really big and its pretty new compared to the others. downside is if you get in a house and dont mix with the other people, in which case tag along to others in freshers week, and the other downside is the events arent as good. but still i would say its the best college

Did you drop out of Economics to do PPE? Just happened to read your post on a different thread as ewll.
In all fairness, you'd probably be better merging everything said in this thread into the wiki too :wink:
Reply 39
slugonamission
In all fairness, you'd probably be better merging everything said in this thread into the wiki too :wink:

...I don't know how to do that :redface:

BTW, would you mind contributing anything regarding the college you are in? Sort of like others have :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest