The Student Room Group

Work experience for lab jobs in hospitals (or similar)

Hello TSR

I'm looking for people with experience in lab work and related jobs really, just need some advice, even if it's where to look for my answers!

I finish uni this year and I'm struggling to decide what volunteer work/jobs to apply for which will be beneficial for someone who is really interested in working in labs (preferably in hospitals). Most labs are reluctant to apply without experience, so what experience is most valuable? Lab assistant jobs maybe at a uni? Experience in care/hospital settings? I really don't know what they're looking for but I'm willing to work for as long as it takes to get there so if it's going to be long winded then please just tell me how!
Reply 1
shorty.loves.angels
Hello TSR

I'm looking for people with experience in lab work and related jobs really, just need some advice, even if it's where to look for my answers!

I finish uni this year and I'm struggling to decide what volunteer work/jobs to apply for which will be beneficial for someone who is really interested in working in labs (preferably in hospitals). Most labs are reluctant to apply without experience, so what experience is most valuable? Lab assistant jobs maybe at a uni? Experience in care/hospital settings? I really don't know what they're looking for but I'm willing to work for as long as it takes to get there so if it's going to be long winded then please just tell me how!

I don't know exactly what kind of work you are looking for, but, I will give you my best knowledge :smile:

I managed to get a summer lab placement at Southampton Uni just by asking around and I think it is fairly easy to do that at most universities.... however they do prefer penultimate year students (having said that... I did get the experience between my first and second years)

Also the NHS have loads of vacancies for lab assistants which don't require much experience and your degree would probably be a major asset in the application. I had an interview for that kind of job last year with no prior experience at all. Have a look on the NHS jobs website.

If you are really desperate you can always get work shadowing experience in hospital labs.

To actually work as a Biomedical Scientist in a hospital lab you need an accredited IBMS qualification, which I believe you can do as a conversion, but I am not sure on the details of that.
Eidolon
I don't know exactly what kind of work you are looking for, but, I will give you my best knowledge :smile:

I managed to get a summer lab placement at Southampton Uni just by asking around and I think it is fairly easy to do that at most universities.... however they do prefer penultimate year students (having said that... I did get the experience between my first and second years)

Also the NHS have loads of vacancies for lab assistants which don't require much experience and your degree would probably be a major asset in the application. I had an interview for that kind of job last year with no prior experience at all. Have a look on the NHS jobs website.

If you are really desperate you can always get work shadowing experience in hospital labs.

To actually work as a Biomedical Scientist in a hospital lab you need an accredited IBMS qualification, which I believe you can do as a conversion, but I am not sure on the details of that.

Thank you that really is helpful. I think I was kind of expecting this but I'm finding it so difficult to find lab assistant jobs which don't require experience. I'm registered with NHS jobs so I will be checking them frequently :smile:

I'm doing a lab based dissertation so I'm getting to know our lab tech, and assistants, rather well. Do you think it would be worth asking them? I would just ask but I don't like asking for things which are out of my depth if youre with me!

I'm hoping to find a full time job if I can only be offered voluntary/part time work which I can work for simultaneously. A lot of hospital based jobs like to see work experience in care, I would have thought this would be irrelevant for lab jobs, am I wrong?
Reply 3
I would ask around everyone that you can think of, the worst they can say is no. I think if you are looking for work in a university lab the best person to approach would be the head of the lab, the lab techs aren't likely to have much say, although they may have some good advice for you. I don't think experience in care work is hugely relevant, but at least you would be working in a hospital, you might make some useful contacts.

I think to get better info you could approach recruitment at the NHS and ask what exactly they are looking for, at least then you will have a definitive answer and you can plan your job hunt around that.
Reply 4
Hi :smile: ,

I know this trend was posted a year ago, but I was wondering if shorty.loves.angels is still around cos I really need some advice. I just wanted to know whether you were able to find voluntary lab work. I am currently in the same situation as you were last year. I graduated last summer a degree in biomedical science and I have no lab experience so i'm finding it hard to get a job even trainee biomedical science post. They are limited amount of lab assistant jobs and most require experience as well. I am thinking of applying for lab voluntary work so wondering if you had any luck in applying and if not were you able to get a job. If anyone can give me advice feel free. Thanks in advance
Reply 5
sweet_lila
Hi :smile: ,

I know this trend was posted a year ago, but I was wondering if shorty.loves.angels is still around cos I really need some advice. I just wanted to know whether you were able to find voluntary lab work. I am currently in the same situation as you were last year. I graduated last summer a degree in biomedical science and I have no lab experience so i'm finding it hard to get a job even trainee biomedical science post. They are limited amount of lab assistant jobs and most require experience as well. I am thinking of applying for lab voluntary work so wondering if you had any luck in applying and if not were you able to get a job. If anyone can give me advice feel free. Thanks in advance

Hi
I start uni next year i am 19 and am also looking for lab based work experience or voluntary lab work did you manage to find any??

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Noj2202
Hi
I start uni next year i am 19 and am also looking for lab based work experience or voluntary lab work did you manage to find any??

Thanks

Hello!
I'm in my first year of a Biomedical Science degree.
When I was at college, I did the simple thing of 'googling' labs in my local area, and sending them a letter requesting work experience. I had 2 replys. They were not BMS labs, one dealing with asbestos and the other materials science BUT any kind of experience in a lab enviroment in benificial.

Plus, try contacting your local hospital trust. I know many people who volunteer in the Biomed labs here in Manchester a few hours a week doing the simple things like booking in the samples.. but again any experience is good experience!

Hope it helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending