Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
chedabob
I was told Furness had allocated all of their rooms and had a pretty short waiting list.

I've heard this rumour too. One of my friends was on the waiting list and was email a few weeks ago to say she had a room but I haven't heard anything and nor have a few of my other friends who were initially told (in an email over Christmas) that we'd be offered a room. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 61
I'm just hoping that Furness have some rooms left. I'm in Pendle, and the rest of my group are like 50+ on the waiting list (I got a place), so we were all thinking of signing up on Furness' shorter list :tongue:
Reply 62
We are currently in the process of booking everyone in, at which point we will send
out the offers by email en-masse. You will find out in the next couple of weeks the
exact details and receive further instructions on what to do then.
In the meantime thanks for your patience.
Furness Residence Officer

Just got that email. Guess I am in for yet more waiting then lol. :smile:
Does anyone have any pictures of the George Fox accommodation?

I know I'm there next year but haven't had a chance to take a look.
Reply 64
chedabob
I'm just hoping that Furness have some rooms left. I'm in Pendle, and the rest of my group are like 50+ on the waiting list (I got a place), so we were all thinking of signing up on Furness' shorter list :tongue:

Can you do that?
Reply 65
Dooze
Can you do that?

I thought you could only change college if you had "justified" reasons for doing so as apparently it is quite a lot of work administration-wise. I know some people swapped to Furness as the Residence officer mentioned it back in January but I would be surprised if they let people do it now, especially if it was just so they could stay on campus.
I jsut got an email form the residence officer saying that she was still working through all the applications... is this new system really worth it all? it seemed to quick and easy last year. Minus the sitting around in the porters lodge for about six hours, that is.
Reply 67
affinity89
I thought you could only change college if you had "justified" reasons for doing so as apparently it is quite a lot of work administration-wise. I know some people swapped to Furness as the Residence officer mentioned it back in January but I would be surprised if they let people do it now, especially if it was just so they could stay on campus.

We're not changing college, just signing up on their accomodation list if they have any spare rooms.

A bunch of people have moved off the Pendle list, so it's looking likely we'll all get a place.
Teao the Cat
I jsut got an email form the residence officer saying that she was still working through all the applications... is this new system really worth it all? it seemed to quick and easy last year. Minus the sitting around in the porters lodge for about six hours, that is.

6 hours? :p: Make that well over 12 hours, in the freezing cold. (County).
Reply 69
chedabob
We're not changing college, just signing up on their accomodation list if they have any spare rooms.

A bunch of people have moved off the Pendle list, so it's looking likely we'll all get a place.

Can you actually sign up for other college's accommodation though? I thought you had to just try and get the accommodation your college offered, otherwise you're buggered and living off campus?

Meh, I'll ask on Monday.
Reply 70
Just got my email from Furness Residences offering me a room on campus. Thankfully.

It doesn't tell us who we are living with etc though - I thought it would. They sent a separate email saying that we could go and see them with ID and they'd tell us which room we have but that they wouldn't tell us who else was in the flat as it is against confidentiality rules. [A little silly considering you've got to live with them so surely it would be good to know who incase it is someone you don't want to live with etc and there is always the simple fact that we will find out when we move in anyway, why not give us the chance to make friends now if we are not already?]

Not accepted it / paid the deposit yet. Not sure where I am getting the money for it from. Does £100 for the rest of the term sound manageable lol - I sure hope so as that is all I'll be left with if I end up paying it direct from my account. :smile:
affinity89

Not accepted it / paid the deposit yet. Not sure where I am getting the money for it from. Does £100 for the rest of the term sound manageable lol - I sure hope so as that is all I'll be left with if I end up paying it direct from my account. :smile:

Might I suggest cheap Sainsbury's basic range soup and cheap bread rolls. I've lived off that when money was hard in first term.
Reply 72
Dooze
Can you actually sign up for other college's accommodation though? I thought you had to just try and get the accommodation your college offered, otherwise you're buggered and living off campus?

Meh, I'll ask on Monday.

I dunno, I'm just going off what my flatmate told me.
Reply 73
Went to ask where I was on the list and got put back into County South for next year despite being on the 3rd or 4th page of the waiting list, result.
Absinth
How long should I expect Lancaster to reply with accommodation information after firming it?

It'll be a while before anything happens, I should think, its usually about May/June that they ask you for your college preferences, and you wont hear where you are until after results.
Absinth
Oh, I was hoping I'd get accommodation stuff since I already have my results! ;$

As far as I know, they will do it all at the same time. And as they currently haven't managed to finish placing continuing students yet, they won't be looking at doing freshers until that is finished.
Reply 76
Paid my deposit now. Hopefully, spending a second year on campus will be a good decision. :biggrin:
affinity89
Paid my deposit now. Hopefully, spending a second year on campus will be a good decision. :biggrin:

Its so much easier- I know far too many people living off campus who miss so many early lectures... I'm only about six doors down from where I am now next year- how many times will I walk into some randomer's room thinking it's mine, do you think?
Reply 78
Its so much easier- I know far too many people living off campus who miss so many early lectures...

This is true! It’s sometimes hard to get motivated and leave the house, especially when you have days where you only have one lecture or seminar. On Campus you can get away with working/doing other things up until 15 minutes before your lecture or seminar started. Also, you had the benefit of studying or relaxing in your room in between contact hours, and easy access to the library!

I still prefer living off-campus though, largely because my first-year on campus was a rather un-enjoyable experience, and I like being closer to town. Plus, I quite enjoy treating Uni as a place of work, where I go to for a set number of hours a day, use the library and then go home and relax. I sometimes walk to campus, which I find thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing. It takes about an hour, and the scenery along the cycle paths is quite pleasant!
Sorry, just rambling on. :s-smilie:
Absinth
Does anyone know if mini fridges are necessary, or if we're allowed to have them? Would anyone recommend taking one to uni, or should I just use the one in the kitchen. I'm paranoid that my precious food will go missing. =(

They use a lot of power, and it is relatively rare for food to go missing... we had a slight problem with it at the beginning of the year, but we got the residence officer to send an email to everyone who uses the kitchen (don't know some of them well enough to say more than hello- big flat, and all second and third years. we have little groups, it works) to say that it wasn't on, and we haven't had a problem in a while. If you are in new (ie, ensuite or townhouse) accomodation, there is more than enough fridge space, and even standard isn't too bad- there's usually a few people who don't cook, so dont need space for more than a bottle of milk and some readymeals in the freezer.

Quick Reply

Latest