The Student Room Group

Why won't my debit card work?!

Basically, I've just been trying to buy something from the Topshop website but it keeps declining my card. I've checked my balance online and I have mooooooooore than enough money in my account. I put in all my details correctly, the right name and address and everything, but it's still declined. I could use PayPal (which I know is working) but they require immediate payment, and I don't have enough in my PayPal to pay.

Any ideas why this is? Or how I could sort it out?

IF anyone actually replies, please quote me so I notice it. Cheers :smile:
Have you selected the right card type? If you're sure all the details are correct, when was the last time you used it successfully? It could be that your bank have blocked your card for some reason (if they see "suspicious" activity, for example, to prevent fraud). Call them (the number may well be printed on the back of your debit card) and ask....
Sakura-Chan

...and a quote to help you notice :smile:
Could be anything.. Wrong security code, wrong card type, wrong expiry date.

Some places don't like it if your billing address and delivery address arn't the same.
Illusionary
...and a quote to help you notice :smile:

So wish I could rep you for this! Tomorrow!
Reply 5
I'm sure :smile: And um... 4 months maybe? I only usually use PayPal. Do banks usually block cards without notifying you? And if it has been blocked, I wouldn't be able to use it in an ATM machine would I? Or would I... Lol. Thankyou for quoting :smile:

The expiry date, security number, card type and card number are all correct. The billing and delivery address are the same.
Reply 6
I have the same problem when i try to make payments from my debit card to other companies even though i have the money in my account and can use the card at atm's. I contacted my bank and they said they'd sort it out within a week. Phone your bank, they should help.
GodspeedGehenna
Some places don't like it if your billing address and delivery address arn't the same.

This got me before - I added an extra space in the wrong place or something and it rejected the payment!

Check all the details are right - perhaps you could try making a small withdrawal from an ATM to check that the card itself is OK?
Reply 8
This got me when I first got my card:

Your card number is the BIG one in the middle - NOT the small one at the bottom (where it does actually say card number!)

I know it sounds silly but its cought me and a few people I know out
Reply 9
If your debit card is linked to PayPal then you can still pay using PayPal and any extra will be taken from the linked debit card.
Reply 10
flipshot
If your debit card is linked to PayPal then you can still pay using PayPal and any extra will be taken from the linked debit card.

I can't when they want payment straight away. I have like £2 in PayPal funds and I don't have another card to link to it to do the immediate payment thing. I've already requested for money to be transferred into my PayPal account but it takes 7-9 working days, and I need these clothes ASAP :smile:
Reply 11
Sakura-Chan
I need these clothes ASAP :smile:

Send them an email about it then! They will probably be able to tell you what the error is straight away rather than us just guessing.
hello, ive worked in a bank and the major problem for teenagers is that you havnt withdrew money from an ATM machine which activates the card? is this true!?
Sakura-Chan
I can't when they want payment straight away. I have like £2 in PayPal funds and I don't have another card to link to it to do the immediate payment thing. I've already requested for money to be transferred into my PayPal account but it takes 7-9 working days, and I need these clothes ASAP :smile:

That doesn't make a difference, as long as a card is linked to it(you can do that instantly) I have never ever put money in my paypal account and I use it all the time, paypal just take it directly from my card straight away like the store would itself. There is no delay at all, try it if you don't believe me.

Another reason its failing is that your card could be a visa electron and a fair few places don't accept them (Tesco's direct and Metro train ticket machines for example).
Sakura-Chan
Basically, I've just been trying to buy something from the Topshop website but it keeps declining my card. I've checked my balance online and I have mooooooooore than enough money in my account. I put in all my details correctly, the right name and address and everything, but it's still declined. I could use PayPal (which I know is working) but they require immediate payment, and I don't have enough in my PayPal to pay.

Any ideas why this is? Or how I could sort it out?

The Topshop website doesn't accept Visa electrons!
jelly1000
The Topshop website doesn't accept Visa electrons!

basically this.

Explained a little more, banks give out different types of debit card. Not every shop or site accepts them all. So the most likely problem is the type of card your using isn't accepted by the Topshop site.
Reply 16
Mines Maestro, not Visa Electron.

And in the payments bit it says they do accept Visa Electron anyway.
Reply 17
do the obvious... call the bank.

They can see if its even been attempted to authorize the card and can say why its failed if it has.
probably security

Latest

Trending

Trending