The Student Room Group

5 Minute presentation: Any topic...

Hey!

I have to do a 5 minute presentation on any topic. I can use tv, video, dvd, OHP, etc. etc.

I'm not sure what to do it on - it's for a part time tefl course so I'm sure there will be adult learners mostly, so clearly can't be anything obvious or patronizing

I am interested in Psychology so maybe something freudian...or interesting psychological stuff? I could also do stuff like optical illusions...writing...historical stuff (elizabethan times?)

I was just wondering wot kind of presentation you'd be interested in? Have you ever had presentations that really spoke to you (if so why?) and do you have any advice/suggestions! :smile:

As tefl is about teaching I expect I will be analysed mostly for how I interact as opposed to the topic, but clearly interesting subject matter is essential.

I will give rep for useful answers:biggrin:
Presentations that speak to me are ones with interesting subject matter and good presentation itself.

The first thing that i can think of which does both of these is the way Derren Brown explains things.. he chooses to talk about (and demonstrate!) really interesting stuff that pretty much engages people of any age. And the way he interacts (actually interacts in many different ways) makes the whole thing just great to watch.

Maybe look into an interesting aspect of Psychology and put a twist on it?
Focus on interaction with your audience and you'll do great whatever your subject matter is! :smile:
Reply 2
:tsr2: !
Reply 3
Pakoras
Cricket
Chess
Topgear
Sports

I would go for the Top Gear...:smile: :wink:
I'd do a presentation on doing presentations.
Reply 5
I did a 5 minute presentation on Daft Punk last year.
I had pictures, music and a video, and put a few (two) jokes in to keep them in a good mood...
I also did a few questions at the end, to make sure they were paying attention :yep:
Reply 6
i did this for my english GCSE speaking test.

i didnt know what to do it on, i turned up to school on the day of the exam and didnt have an idea. at registration some people were talking about their favourite TV shows, and this imediately gave me the idea to do it about sexcetera, but that would be unsuitable. so it thought about it once again and came to the conclusion of to forget tv and do it about something i could keep talking about without stopping.

this brought me to the conclusion of TSR.

i got a B+

:angry:
lol
Reply 7
Nandika
Hey!

I have to do a 5 minute presentation on any topic. I can use tv, video, dvd, OHP, etc. etc.

I'm not sure what to do it on - it's for a part time tefl course so I'm sure there will be adult learners mostly, so clearly can't be anything obvious or patronizing

I am interested in Psychology so maybe something freudian...or interesting psychological stuff? I could also do stuff like optical illusions...writing...historical stuff (elizabethan times?)

I was just wondering wot kind of presentation you'd be interested in? Have you ever had presentations that really spoke to you (if so why?) and do you have any advice/suggestions! :smile:

As tefl is about teaching I expect I will be analysed mostly for how I interact as opposed to the topic, but clearly interesting subject matter is essential.

I will give rep for useful answers:biggrin:

Which work better? Springy clothes pegs or the other kind? (Sorry ancient Simpsons ref - am having a nostalgic time atm...)

Do it on Freud! That would be awesome especially if you're interested in the guy *thumbs up* Plenty of comic value in there too (for some of the more whacky ideas anyways)
Reply 8
Manny_Manny
Which work better? Springy clothes pegs or the other kind? (Sorry ancient Simpsons ref - am having a nostalgic time atm...)

Do it on Freud! That would be awesome especially if you're interested in the guy *thumbs up* Plenty of comic value in there too (for some of the more whacky ideas anyways)

Yer LOL!

But I don't know who would be there, adult class so mebbe if there were some more *coughs* upper class people there they may be a bit offended by psychosexual stuff or something.

Bet meh, I could do psychosexual stages, tripartite theory of personality, any random stuff. Thoughts???

XxxxX
Reply 9
Nandika
Yer LOL!

But I don't know who would be there, adult class so mebbe if there were some more *coughs* upper class people there they may be a bit offended by psychosexual stuff or something.

Bet meh, I could do psychosexual stages, tripartite theory of personality, any random stuff. Thoughts???

XxxxX

Haha ah..well it sounds like more of a double edged-sword then..

Am liking tripartite theory of personality. An generally the subconcious would be an interesting topic to go into..that may be the most sensible thing that Freud came up with!

If they're adults then they might even appreciate the fact that you had the guts to talk about the subject - maybe just try and avoid being 'smutty' or however they might put it..

Oh an hope this reply hasn't appeared too late man!
Reply 10
I'd do a presentation on how utterly ridiculous it is to do a presentation for the sake of doing a presentation. I used to hate doing presentations at school, but now at uni I don't mind doing them because there's an actual point to it.
Reply 11
Do an 'artistic' piece, sit there for 5 minutes in silence and at the end say you where exploring the theme of nothingness.
I've got to do that in two weeks time except I don't get any aids other than some prompt cards.
I'm doing mine on the question "Is religion good for soceity?" because I can really rant on about that one.
I didn't really want to pick anything like Liverpool FC, Football or anything standard like that but at the same time I didn't want to pick anything too obscure.
what should i do my 5 minute talk on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending