The Student Room Group

English Grading System

I only have experience with the Scottish grading system, and the English way of grading confuses me. My dodgy internet source states that everything over 70% is an A. It seems to stay that people on average score anywhere between 45 and 75%. But isn't there a huge difference between a student who got 70% of the questions right, and a student who got 100%? Does this mean it is ridiculously easy to get an A?
Reply 1
70 or 75 is usually considered an A in scotland too.
Reply 2
Are you referring to the university grading system (as this is in University discussion) Your post would suggest it is not.
Reply 3
Yes, I am referring to the university system. Perhaps it is different for individual universities and colleges? I was in Aberdeen and there exams and coursework were marked on a scale from 1-20. :smile:
Reply 4
Well, I only asked because . You don't receive grades like "A" or "B"

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Degree_Classifications

It's the same across the UK, with some differences. In some Scottish unis (like Aberdeen) the first two year don't count towards the honours degree (in the rest of the UK it's usually only the first year that doesn't count). Scottish degrees are a year longer after all. Unis also differ in terms of how much weight they place on certain years. There are also some degrees where you don't receive honours degrees (like medicine). But that wiki article provides a general guide.

It's certainly not very easy to achieve 70+ (a first). Like you said, most receive 2:2s (50 - 60) and 2:1s (60 - 70).
Reply 5
As people have said it differs in each university, and specific courses. My first year did not count towards the degree, second year counts as 15%, third year counts as 25%, and then 4th year counts as 60%. If you decide to do the Meng then its 4th+5th combined that count as 60%.
Reply 6
River85
Well, I only asked because . You don't receive grades like "A" or "B"

Yea, I know. Apologies, I should have been clearer. As an international student, my grades are converted to the letter-based system, and I found the info cited above on the website of an English uni. I do understand the honours system; it's really just the actual percentages that puzzle me.

If you would sit an MC exam and got every question right, would you get 100% and would everyone with 70% receive the same classification?
Reply 7
Fand
Yea, I know. Apologies, I should have been clearer. As an international student, my grades are converted to the letter-based system, and I found the info cited above on the website of an English uni. I do understand the honours system; it's really just the actual percentages that puzzle me.

If you would sit an MC exam and got every question right, would you get 100% and would everyone with 70% receive the same classification?

Yes, well in some universities they offer a first with distinction, think its only cambridge and oxford who do that. It will be the same classification, but I think employers can get access to your academic records which would show your high marks. If you're aiming for a first you shouldn't really be worried, it's pretty difficult anyway so it won't really matter how high the percentage is, a first will impress regardless.
Reply 8
Fand

I think you've missed the fact that it's extremely difficult to gain over 70% for many subjects. Students taking quantitative subjects are able to gain grades of 90% etc because really either you know your stuff or you don't. Whereas degrees which involve essay writing are so subjective at it's near impossible to gain a grade of 90% in an essay.
Fand
Yes, I am referring to the university system. Perhaps it is different for individual universities and colleges? I was in Aberdeen and there exams and coursework were marked on a scale from 1-20. :smile:

Is this a non-linear 20 point scale like at St Andrews where 17 was an A? If it was then coursework is marked in percentages and converted to the 20 point scale with 17 usually being around 70%.
Reply 10
Hello everyone!
I have a very urgent question. I'm from Bulgaria and I would like to apply in some universities at London for MA Degrees, but I don't understand the grading system. In the entry requirements they say that I should have an upper second honour degree which in Bulgaria is qualified as 5 out of 6. But what happens if my Bachelor's degree is 4,95 is it considered as 5. In Bulgaria every score above 4.50 is considered as 5 , but I don't know is it so in England. Furtheremore at the end of my Bachelor's degree I had 3 state exams two of them I got with 5 and the last one with 6. Are these state exams considered as well? Please if someone could help me , write me back. Thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending