The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

A Week in the Life: LSE edition

Scroll to see replies

xMiss_Sarahx
Sports are played (generally...obviously it depends on the sport, but the majority eg rugby, football, netball etc) on a Wednesday afternoon, a Wednesday evening is the Athletics Union (so basically all the sports teams) night out the first part of which is spent in the tuns playing drinking games and doing kareoke, the second part in zoo bar/walkabout dancing the night away. Alot of teams also have training/matches at weekends (usually a Sunday, although sometimes training is on a Saturday if there is no match on the Sunday) and I believe some teams have training on a Monday night.
Team dinners I think twice in Michaelmas term and one/twice in Lent term. AU ball near the end of Lent term. AU welcome party beginning of Michaelmas term (expect fancy dress). AU Carol/Barrel happens early December.

Tennis or football would be great for me. I want to start practicing a new sport which i don't in my secondary school. Do these clubs/societies welcome beginners? I am afraid they only want good players in their clubs. I have heard about AU and it seems great. Hope they are encouraging and patience toward new comers.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
sad core
Tennis or football would be great for me. I want to start practicing a new sport which i don't in my secondary school. Do these clubs/societies welcome beginners? I am afraid they only want good players in their clubs. I have heard about AU and it seems great. Hope they are encouraging and patience toward new comers.

Yep, all levels welcome...well that's what I've found anyway.
I don't know alot about tennis at LSE, but I'm presuming that maybe it's just done in summer.
Football has a ridiculously large amount of teams though (about 7?) and you go for tryouts and they put you in a suitable team, although if you're a total beginner and don't really want to try out infront of people I'm sure you could tell them that and just be put in the lowest team. But there's basically a place for everyone of all abilities I believe.
But there's so many different sports though that if you want to try something completely new there's always that opportunity...one of my flat mates is on the ultimate frisbee team (!). But if you want to enjoy ALL that the AU has to offer I'd try to get involved with either football or rugby (or to a lesser extent rowing or hockey) to make sure you have a great position for all the nights out and social events.
xMiss_Sarahx
Yep, all levels welcome...well that's what I've found anyway.
I don't know alot about tennis at LSE, but I'm presuming that maybe it's just done in summer.
Football has a ridiculously large amount of teams though (about 7?) and you go for tryouts and they put you in a suitable team, although if you're a total beginner and don't really want to try out infront of people I'm sure you could tell them that and just be put in the lowest team. But there's basically a place for everyone of all abilities I believe.
But there's so many different sports though that if you want to try something completely new there's always that opportunity...one of my flat mates is on the ultimate frisbee team (!). But if you want to enjoy ALL that the AU has to offer I'd try to get involved with either football or rugby (or to a lesser extent rowing or hockey) to make sure you have a great position for all the nights out and social events.

Does british football mean rugby or soccer? >.<"":eek3: Hehe....
I assume it means soccer. Well, soccer will be nice. Rugby is not suitable for me if i have to buy all those equipments. I am an overseas student. My budget is already very tight due to high pound exchange rate so i hope not to spend too much on this kind of stuffs.

Thanks for the info.
It is a great relief to know that AU does not discriminate the weaker players. I actually suck in sports. Hope I can improve my self in LSE. Is it compulsory to go for soccer training every time?

I wonder is there any alternative ways to be sociable other than joining societies/clubs? What about those people who don't join? However, I will be definitely joining.
El Mariachi
Football is soccer here mate. Also, you don't need equipment for rugby, it's a real sport unlike American football!

>.<" Never knew that. Maybe I will give it a try. Sorry for asking stupid questions. As I said, I am an overseas student.
Reply 24
xMiss_Sarahx
Sports are played (generally...obviously it depends on the sport, but the majority eg rugby, football, netball etc) on a Wednesday afternoon, a Wednesday evening is the Athletics Union (so basically all the sports teams) night out the first part of which is spent in the tuns playing drinking games and doing kareoke, the second part in zoo bar/walkabout dancing the night away. Alot of teams also have training/matches at weekends (usually a Sunday, although sometimes training is on a Saturday if there is no match on the Sunday) and I believe some teams have training on a Monday night.
Team dinners I think twice in Michaelmas term and one/twice in Lent term. AU ball near the end of Lent term. AU welcome party beginning of Michaelmas term (expect fancy dress). AU Carol/Barrel happens early December.

Is there any boxing club?
El Mariachi
No worries :grin: !

We will teach you the way of the English. Mum, not mom. Football not soccer. Mobile phone, not cellphone. etc etc etc :tongue:

>.<" I would rather need someone to teach me how to play sports. Haha :eek3:
KyriakosCy
Is there any boxing club?

Yes (or so I believe)
xMiss_Sarahx
Yes (or so I believe)

Is it compulsory to attend the weekly training? Sometimes I feel like skipping the training when I am not in the mood. Haha:eek3:
Reply 28
hey i was just having a look at some residence halls. are there any halls particularly renowned for sport?
Reply 29
chouse23
hey i was just having a look at some residence halls. are there any halls particularly renowned for sport?

I'm not sure, but, apparently Carr-Saunders always win the inter-hall football league.
Reply 30
Oh ok. thanks.
sad core
Is it compulsory to attend the weekly training? Sometimes I feel like skipping the training when I am not in the mood. Haha:eek3:

I don't know about for boxing, but for the other sports if you can't make it then fair enough, but the less you go to training the less they'll play you, which is fair.
Reply 32
xMiss_Sarahx
I don't know about for boxing, but for the other sports if you can't make it then fair enough, but the less you go to training the less they'll play you, which is fair.

also do they have an LSE boxing team, and they have fights with other unis, or is it just science fiction?! :tongue:
xMiss_Sarahx

Does LSE have a badminton club? I am not interested in rugby. Most likely, it will be either badminton or football which i have no experience playing either of them.
sad core
Does LSE have a badminton club? I am not interested in rugby. Most likely, it will be either badminton or football which i have no experience playing either of them.

yep, they have badminton.

They have pretty much all sports.
I shall do this soon. Just saw it again :p:
Reply 36
xMiss_Sarahx
yep, they have badminton.

They have pretty much all sports.

I'd be too scared to go to a badminton club considering the abundance of Chinese students. I've seen some of them play and DAAAAMMM..

Sorry to stereotype.. but its true.. they are amazing.
Reply 37
Does LSE have a football or futsal club?

Or do individual departments have them?

I have a friend thats going to read philosophy at King's and he plans on joining there football team that they have.

It would be mad cool if LSE had that.
Do you have a cricket team..and are they social...?
Cricket team is brilliant at the LSE, and there are several football teams to join (i.e. 1st team, 2nd team etc etc...)

Quick Reply

Latest