The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Just got a reply from the uni saying that :

The 2009 term starts on 12 October 2009 and rooms are usually available the weekend prior to this. The Accommodation office notifies all students of the dates when rooms are available.

So when will you guys turn up?

Also do you guys have much belongings to bring into the uni?
University of York
York
what the hell is difference between en suite and 'superior' en suite as per the leaflet they sent me :s-smilie:
Reply 42
InconspicuousGuy
what the hell is difference between en suite and 'superior' en suite as per the leaflet they sent me :s-smilie:

same query, they are both 93 pounds tho.
Anyway, does anyone where are those en-suite most located?

Much thanks
Anybody for Fairfax House?
Considering it, but not sure how many people to a bathroom/kitchen.

Really not too keen on sharing a bathroom, but the place looks fantastic as a whole.
Cowtipper
Anybody for Fairfax House?
Considering it, but not sure how many people to a bathroom/kitchen.

Really not too keen on sharing a bathroom, but the place looks fantastic as a whole.

Yeah - I want to live in Fairfax House. I reckon it'd be loads easier to get to know people and have more of a sense of identity in such a place. Plus, the building itself seems lovely.
IeuanF
Yeah - I want to live in Fairfax House. I reckon it'd be loads easier to get to know people and have more of a sense of identity in such a place. Plus, the building itself seems lovely.

True that.
I'm more than impressed by the baby-foot & pool tables in the common room, too!

Have you had a look round?
Cowtipper
True that.
I'm more than impressed by the baby-foot & pool tables in the common room, too!

Have you had a look round?

Not inside, no. But I wandered around the grounds (such as they are) and walked from the uni to it, and from it to the city - so I have a good idea of what it'd be like to have to go to uni from there every day, and to venture into the city every now and then. I didn't find either walk too taxing, and prefer the idea of being part of the wider campus community and having your own little microcosm of a community outside that.

I've heard that inside, whilst it could do with a little bit of upkeep, it's fine - and communal breakfast sounds like nice little perk/quirk of living there.
IeuanF
Not inside, no. But I wandered around the grounds (such as they are) and walked from the uni to it, and from it to the city - so I have a good idea of what it'd be like to have to go to uni from there every day, and to venture into the city every now and then. I didn't find either walk too taxing

I've heard that inside, whilst it could do with a little bit of upkeep, it's fine - and communal breakfast sounds like nice little perk/quirk of living there.

Interesting! Was this on an open day? I assumed they'd let you look around inside, at least.
Yes, the breakfast is a bit of a unique plus point. I wonder how good it is?

IeuanF
prefer the idea of being part of the wider campus community and having your own little microcosm of a community outside that.

That's exactly what appealed to me about Fairfax! I'm too old for all that fresher frenzy...me hip won't take it :eek:
You're an unconditional holder, are you not? I heard we get first pick of accomm; do you know if that's true?
Cowtipper
Interesting! Was this on an open day?

No - just when I was wondering around York.

Cowtipper

I wonder how good it is?

I've heard it's toast, yoghurt and cereal. I imagine it's difficult to go particularly wrong with those things.

Cowtipper

You're an unconditional holder, are you not? I heard we get first pick of accomm; do you know if that's true?

I am an unconditional holder. And I'm pretty sure we submit our accommodation choices first - whether that means we have "first pick" is another matter. :biggrin:
Doesn't Fairfax cost more to live in than an en-suite room on campus? I was going to apply there if I firm York, but if that's true then I don't think I will, seeing as none of Fairfax is en-suite AFAIK and I'd be paying more than other people do that have their own bathroom. Shame, because it looks really nice.

^^ This might not be right, it's just what I've heard from someone.
rainbow drops
Doesn't Fairfax cost more to live in than an en-suite room on campus? I was going to apply there if I firm York, but if that's true then I don't think I will, seeing as none of Fairfax is en-suite AFAIK and I'd be paying more than other people do that have their own bathroom. Shame, because it looks really nice.

I don't know, to be honest; as far as I know, they haven't released prices for this year.
I'm in Alcuin and I got a bath in my ensuite. Its very nice. Just one block which is older than all the others in alcuin. Nicer rooms with a better ensuite but a smaller kitchen between more people.
rainbow drops

If you're comparing it to a 38-week ensuite let on campus, then Fairfax was £320 a year cheaper for the 08/09 academic year.
Pffft, people have been telling me lies then. :tongue: Thanks.
today i found out im in St Lawrence court in Halifax college...apparently its the ghetto of uni? i hope its not 2 bad
hey, I don't know if anyone's said this before but I just found a site called yorkipedia.. it has info on all the colleges and more I think,

here's a link anyway:

http://yorkipedia.theyorker.co.uk/index.php/Portal:Colleges
Reply 56
blueberrymuffin
hey, I don't know if anyone's said this before but I just found a site called yorkipedia.. it has info on all the colleges and more I think,

here's a link anyway:

http://yorkipedia.theyorker.co.uk/index.php/Portal:Colleges

Ooo, that's a great link! I'll put it up :biggrin:
Annie354
Ooo, that's a great link! I'll put it up :biggrin:

hmm the link on the first page says 404 not found for me :confused:
Reply 58
blueberrymuffin
hmm the link on the first page says 404 not found for me :confused:

Once again thankyou... and it now works :biggrin:
Annie354
Once again thankyou... and it now works :biggrin: