The Student Room Group

Rich people's jobs, What are they?

What jobs do really rich people have?
For example if i became a doctor i would earn around 80k basic pay by the time i was around 32ish, That is supposed to be the second best job in the UK(the best is around 100k I think, according to Government statistics :wink: ), and GP's aren't that rich are they, they are just 'well-off' What jobs are out there that make people fall into the rich category rather than just the financially comfortable one? Like 160k+ jobs?

Scroll to see replies

Are you asking because you want to be rich?
Reply 2
Well, you can earn that much in any field, if you're good enough and can rise to management; however, the jobs that I'd think of, that offer a high salary, are investment banking, management consultancy, magic circle law, etc.

For example, its not unusual as a management consultant to start on between £40-50k excluding bonus, so that's at the age of 21ish. Working for a boutique, or smaller firm, makes the partner track a lot more available and available earlier than at the huge firms too (M/B/B).
Reply 3
No, I want to be a doctor. So i want to be 'well-off.'

I'm just curious who earns lots of money because i know lots of people earn huge amounts and i don't know how.
Reply 4
Don't be a doctor for the money - we start around minimum wage.

Rich people's jobs? I don't think the truly rich have jobs as we would understand them.
Reply 5
Renal
Don't be a doctor for the money - we start around minimum wage.

Rich people's jobs? I don't think the truly rich have jobs as we would understand them.

Out of pure interest, how much do doctors (GPs, in particular) get paid upon graduation (i.e. from clinical onwards) and whats the progression like? :smile:

Also, how long is it before you can open your own surgery as a GP?
Reply 6
Become a plumber innit. 130k sorted bruv.
Reply 7
Consultant
Out of pure interest, how much do doctors (GPs, in particular) get paid upon graduation (i.e. from clinical onwards) and whats the progression like? :smile:

FY1s are on £21 - £25K at the moment, it will eventually go down to £22K. Working 50-70 hours a week.

You cannot open your own surgery anymore, the government will not let you.
Reply 8
Renal
FY1s are on £21 - £25K at the moment, it will eventually go down to £22K. Working 50-70 hours a week.

You cannot open your own surgery anymore, the government will not let you.

Thanks. That's pretty disenchanting then, after the hard slog you have to put in to get the degree.

Going off-topic here

Reply 9
Consultant
Why is that? Whats the new system?
The government don't want new GP surgeries becuase they don't fit in with the centralised health care policy.
Renal
The government don't want new GP surgeries becuase they don't fit in with the centralised health care policy.

Ah, okay. I should really pay more attention.
Reply 11
Consultant

I Think that its around 22k after medical school, then it goes up to around 40k after 2 or 3 years, then around 80k when you finish general training. but i dont really know this could be a bit general. It came from here:

http://careersadvice.direct.gov.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/profile165/
Reply 12
Edmindu
I Think that its around 22k after medical school, then it goes up to around 40k after 2 or 3 years, then around 80k when you finish general training. but i dont really know this could be a bit general. It came from here:

http://careersadvice.direct.gov.uk/helpwithyourcareer/jobprofiles/profiles/profile165/
**** off it does. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
It's not necessarily what job you've got, it's whether you're good at it and where you're based. For example, my dad rents house - sounds pretty basic! However, he worked really really hard to get qualifications, started the whole company and they're taking on a lot of business because he knows so many people who spread the name. But that can always go further if he was to expand to areas further away.
Anyone can come out of uni with a medical degree (anyone clever enough I mean!), it's up to where you take it. Work really hard and you can either be a basic GP with the 'well off' wage or you can go for consultancy, practice manager, senior of your field, I don't know much but these are just some examples. Go to London and the money is going to be bigger than a little village in the middle of nowhere!
Any job has a career ladder, you just need to get to the top to earn the big wage.
Reply 14
does it or not? please elaborate on the workings of a Doctors finances.
Reply 15
Edmindu

I think that page might be slightly misleading and out of date.

All of the F1s I know earn less than 25k, and the ST/CT1s (three years post qualification, if they're fortunate enough to get streamed...) earn around the 32k mark.
biiiiigggg time drug dealer (h)
There should be a cap on how much you earn. No job is worth 200k or whatever
Reply 18
LOL @ being a medic for money.

At least do it properly and do dentistry
Reply 19
Reflexive
There should be a cap on how much you earn. No job is worth 200k or whatever

and why should that be?

The best paid jobs are Hedge fund and CEOs obviously (doctors too probably)

Latest

Trending

Trending