The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Se branler in French means to masturbate, but it literally means 'to wobble oneself'
Reply 2
Yob tvoyu maht!
Bagration
Yob tvoyu maht!

Which means?
Reply 4
**** your mother in Russki :tongue:
Reply 5
'My belly button's going to fall off' in a Greek-Cypriot dialect = 'I'm starving'.
Reply 6
RamocitoMorales
Do you know a phrase which is commonly used which may seem funny when translated to English? If you do, please let us know.

Here's one, translated from Turkish to English.

"Boku yedik!" (Turkish)

"We have eaten the ****/poo" (English)

That's what Turkish people say when they are in a situation of impending doom.

:rofl: I love it!
Pretty much Sharmuta is enough to get you bitch slapped in Hebrew/Arabic.
Bubbles*de*Milo

What does it mean?
Reply 9
How about the other way around ... from English to Malay? Happens in subtitles ...

First off, "look out!" as in "beware!" in English, when translated literally becomes "lihat keluar", or "look out (of the window or doorway or such)! :smile:

"Sui yue" - in Cantonese Chinese literally means "water fish" ... but in usage it means someone who can be easily made to pay for your meals when you go out together. Especially sought after by some on tight budgets :tongue:
makan :biggrin:
I need to check this but my Spanish teacher told me that the English "to dump someone" translates in Spanish to "to give someone a pumpkin" :tongue:
Krieg de kanker achter je hart zodat de dokter er niet bij kan!

I also like "poser un lapin" which means to stand someone up.

The Italian equivalent of "you can't have your cake and eat it" is "non si puo avere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca", which translates as "You can't have a full barrel and a drunk wife".
Reply 13
Bubbles*de*Milo

Ah, but that's an insult in itself ... and it means "bitch" already?

I thought this thread is for foreign words or phrases that turn out funny and different in meaning when translated into English? :confused:
lyncici
Ah, but that's an insult in itself ... and it means "bitch" already?

I thought this thread is for foreign words or phrases that turn out funny and different in meaning when translated into English? :confused:

It is but I'm crap and couldn't think of anything funny.

And it's not bitch. :wink2:
If you're interested in this sort of thing, watch this lecture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBpetDxIEMU

It's very funny, has strong language, and very informative.
Reply 16
snowyowl
I need to check this but my Spanish teacher told me that the English "to dump someone" translates in Spanish to "to give someone a pumpkin" :tongue:

Lovely!!! :rofl: :rofl:
Reply 17
Bubbles*de*Milo
It is but I'm crap and couldn't think of anything funny.

And it's not bitch. :wink2:

Oooh! I thought wrong then! I'd better go double check ... :yep:
Reply 18
A term in Mandarin to describe a balding person literally translates as "diarrhoea head".
Reply 19
Joanna May
Krieg de kanker achter je hart zodat de dokter er niet bij kan!

I also like "poser un lapin" which means to stand someone up.

The Italian equivalent of "you can't have your cake and eat it" is "non si puo avere la botte piena e la moglie ubriaca", which translates as "You can't have a full barrel and a drunk wife".

Haha2! True enough! :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending