The Student Room Group

How I look makes people think Im unapproachable

Ok, firstly I really dont want to sound like a big headed idiot, so please dont take it as such, this is just what I have been told.

But apparently because "Im attractive" [ i beg to differ, I ve seen myself without make up, and without all the fancy clothes...and I look a hell of a lot different] I model and whatever *finishes bragging*....it makes me difficult to talk to as a person.

Now this upsets me, because people either think a) Im stupid- Im not I got AAAAA for A levels or b) Im stuck up, as "attractive" people can think they are gods gift...or c) im just generally unapproachable and too serious...

...I COULDNT BE MORE DIFFERENT, my sense of humour is crazy and Im certainly not a snob.

But its proving to be an issue, because people wont talk to me...or have massive preconceptions- other people dont seem to have as much of an issue, of course people will always be judgemental.

But how can i look more approachable, not only to guys...but to other girls too?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe you should quit your bitching and actually try approaching guys yourself rather then just expecting them to come to you?
Reply 2
Post an image up of yourself, I might some ideas on how to make your more approchable.
Reply 3
Talk to people first, if someone won't talk to you because they're jealous then you probably don't wanna speak to them anyway. And if they're just nervous/intimidated then you breaking the ice will sort that out.
Reply 4
Reue
Maybe you should quit your bitching and actually try approaching guys yourself rather then just expecting them to come to you?

Reue, I ve seen you around and I know you are a straight talker...which is great by me.

But Im not bitching, Im asking how I can make myself more approachable? And yes I appreciate the latter.
Reply 5
I'm kinda the same (Minus all the modelling thing and approaching guys). I heard that wearing less black and more colours makes you more approachable. Have course, I'm not gonna try that out :P
Reply 6
joseph1991
I am incredibly fit...no but really I am. but girls still approach me? maybe you smell xx

Ah maybe thats it, maybe I smell as bad as your attitude?

/jokes.
Reply 7
I heard that too, loads of people at uni think I'm this moody quiet person because of how I dress. Thing is, I don't even dress what I'd consider to be gothy, I wear a lot of dark colours just because ya know, I like them, and they're easier to wash all together. But a couple of people have said that if I wore brighter or patterned stuff more I'd look a lot more approachable, it's weird.
Reply 8
Anonymous
Reue, I ve seen you around and I know you are a straight talker...which is great by me.

But Im not bitching, Im asking how I can make myself more approachable? And yes I appreciate the latter.

Thanks. I dont see much point in beating about the bush when theres a point to be made.

Practical advice I can offer alongside approaching guys yourself:

- Dont always hang in a group. It's alot harder to approach a girl when she's in a group with her mates.

- Respond positivly to people that say something to you in like bars and clubs etc. frequently if someone makes a comment or question, whatever it may be, they're just testing the water to see if it's worth talking more of if they are jsut gonna get shot down.

and thirdly, just to echo it again.. Approach guys yourself! I cannot emphasis this enough. Guys love confident girls, especially those confident enough to apporach a guy themselves. Try it, you'll be surprised.
Smile at other people, i always think people look more approachable if they smile :smile:
Try and look happy a lot, if you look really laid back and happy, people will be more likely to think you're friendly etc. :smile:
Reply 11
thetopnotch
Smile at other people, i always think people look more approachable if they smile :smile:

Very true. Making eye-contact and a little smile soon develops into saying 'hi' when you pass....soon becomes a quick 2 minute chat about life etc.........soon becomes lets go out for a drink this weekend :smile:
Reply 12
joseph1991
nope, maybe I was wrong about your scent problem... maybe you are just a bit of a bitch?

/jokes

xx

WRONG, I can be more than a bit of a bitch to people who come accross like you. Im sure you're a lovely person but saying "Im incredibly fit" doesnt wash well with me....even if you are a Brad Pitt impresario.

I wanted proper, constructive advice not "Im trying but failing to be witty" tomfoolery.
Reply 13
joseph1991
I am incredibly fit...no but really I am. but girls still approach me? maybe you smell xx

But you're in bed with another guy in your profile picture, and you look like that kid that did **** with Michael Jackson :/

Reply 14
Anonymous
WRONG, I can be more than a bit of a bitch to people who come accross like you. Im sure you're a lovely person but saying "Im incredibly fit" doesnt wash well with me....even if you are a Brad Pitt impresario.

I wanted proper, constructive advice not "Im trying but failing to be witty" tomfoolery.

I don't mean to jump in here but some people have given you advice yet you have yet to even acknowledge them. You seem to rather want to respond to taunts to throw the thread off. Maybe this is why people find you unapproachable?
If you approach them you'll be more approachable papa roach
Reply 16
DealerG
I don't mean to jump in here but some people have given you advice yet you have yet to even acknowledge them. You seem to rather want to respond to taunts to throw the thread off. Maybe this is why people find you unapproachable?

I apologise, I just get somewhat annoyed sometimes on TSR with the "I can make a wittier comment than you" posting contests that going on, normally I wouldnt participate- but on this particular occasion I felt a need to.

I appreciate your viewpoint, but I doubt it- Im not normally argumentative- and if I do dispute a point I would do so in a diplomatic way. Its only because Im anon that Im being particularly outspoken- I dont think trying to prove that you are right all the time is an attractive or preferable quality.

But thanks for pointing that out.
Reply 17
joseph1991
I was just joking, I mean i must be to be posting on TSR at like 11 45. i was just trying to get a rise out of you...and it worked! so maybe you should just calm down and listen to some of the real advice that is being given out. Because trust me, boys will always approach good looking girls! so it would not be your looks, that are making you undesirable xx

Ah 17 year olds....you have too much hands on your time 'boi' :tongue: lol

Argh I dont know..I mean this is why Im asking the question, Im not so arrogant to assume that the guys are the problem and not me. But I cant change my face, I like to be a bit of a comedian as life can be too serious...so I dont think I look like a moody arsed cow. There isnt anyone I wouldnt talk to, and...mmm I wonder what the problem is...and maybe its me? But i dont know what...!
Reply 18
[QUOTE="joseph1991"]
AsystoleUK
But you're in bed with another guy in your profile picture, and you look like that kid that did **** with Michael Jackson :/

how do you know its not a girl with big shoulders...? xx

ahhh the time is making me do typos as above..apologies.

Oh, and how do we know? Rules of probability tbh. lol.
Reply 19
joseph1991

:laugh: