The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

The Referee
The Hairsprays were dire!

I really hate them though. They're such cocky bastards, kicking for touch so early in the game when they were only 6-0 down. They were so sure that they would score tries (just like Wales :rolleyes: ), and end up getting nil points on the board. I know it's only a club game, but the Welsh are so intent on being the All Blacks of the north, and I never see Kiwis do stupid things like that.
lnjames
I really hate them though. They're such cocky bastards, kicking for touch so early in the game when they were only 6-0 down. They were so sure that they would score tries (just like Wales :rolleyes: ), and end up getting nil points on the board. I know it's only a club game, but the Welsh are so intent on being the All Blacks of the north, and I never see Kiwis do stupid things like that.

I also dispise them!

Their arrogance certainly cost them today though!
"I'd rather be a Warrior than a Chief!"

Just practising my chants for Sixways next season. Dire performance. Part of me wants Bristol to salvage the needed points and stay up based on that car crash of a Worcester team... :cry:

We need Latham/Tuitupou/Delport back...
pinkpenguin
"I'd rather be a Warrior than a Chief!"

Exeter Chiefs? I quite like them... :o:
lnjames
Exeter Chiefs? I quite like them... :o:

Fine.

"I'd rather be a Warrior than a Pirate!" :borat:
pinkpenguin
Fine.

"I'd rather be a Warrior than a Pirate!" :borat:

Yeah that'll do! At least if you get relegated, you'll still be in a professional league next season... Championship ftw! :awesome:
lnjames
Yeah that'll do! At least if you get relegated, you'll still be in a professional league next season... Championship ftw! :awesome:

I just hope half the squad honour their contracts. Or we could end up staying there...

On another point, Josh Lewsey needs to be on the Lion's tour. Looks to be one of the most dangerous running backs in the Prem, a great tackler and a great utility player - can cover centre, wing and full back!
pinkpenguin
I just hope half the squad honour their contracts. Or we could end up staying there...

On another point, Josh Lewsey needs to be on the Lion's tour. Looks to be one of the most dangerous running backs in the Prem, a great tackler and a great utility player - can cover centre, wing and full back!

IIRC Lewsey announced his retirement from international rugby several months ago in order to focus on his club rugby.

(He's good though!)
The Referee
IIRC Lewsey announced his retirement from international rugby several months ago in order to focus on his club rugby.

(He's good though!)

And to target a squad place in the Lions.

Geech will definetly take him.
The Referee

(He's good though!)

Yep, but I think it was more that he was disollusioned with the England set up. I believe it was pre-Johnson? Brian Ashton certainly wasn't a fan, athough I've heard his attitude isn't exactly the best.

Does 'international rugby' = Lions though? Neil Back travelled last time... certainly a possibility.

He'd be my 12 if he travelled. Possibly even my 11 if Shane Williams persists to make wrong decisions at crucial moments.
I've just looked at the relevant article, I'd forgotten that he was still targeting a Lions place - but he announced his international retirement in December 08
pinkpenguin
He'd be my 12 if he travelled.

He's not a test standard 12. There are enough good centres out there that to play a utility back there seems a bit of a waste. I'd play Shanklin at 12 with O'Driscoll at 13, but I think others like Flutey, Roberts and D'Arcy (and as much as it pains me to say it, possibly Henson) would come into consideration ahead of Lewsey.
I think Lewsey should travel though, as a good experienced back-up to Bowe and Williams.
shunter7634
He's not a test standard 12. There are enough good centres out there that to play a utility back there seems a bit of a waste. I'd play Shanklin at 12 with O'Driscoll at 13, but I think others like Flutey, Roberts and D'Arcy (and as much as it pains me to say it, possibly Henson) would come into consideration ahead of Lewsey.
I think Lewsey should travel though, as a good experienced back-up to Bowe and Williams.

Can see the argument, however I am one of those who thinks Lewsey should have been played at 12/13 since the beginning of his career.

He's fantastic there. Purely from a defensive perspective, I'd play him there.

Certainly one for the 22, though. Even just as a cover to all the outside backs.
Cippers was playing pretty well today, he may soon get a place back in the first 22. Felt a bit sorry for the Wasps though, losing to the "Average team for average fans" right at the end.
lnjames
Cippers was playing pretty well today, he may soon get a place back in the first 22. Felt a bit sorry for the Wasps though, losing to the "Average team for average fans" right at the end.

He did play pretty well, bar the odd loose place kick.

Prefer the Sarries to win though, if I'm honest. It's probably because I don't like Sean Edwards!
pinkpenguin
He did play pretty well, bar the odd loose place kick.

His passing was wicked though, he always seemed to know who would be best to have the ball.
lnjames
His passing was wicked though, he always seemed to know who would be best to have the ball.

Yep, and I'm not a fan. A couple of times he looked for the dummy before the pass, which is a little worrying. On the whole, his ddistribution was great, though.

It may be a lot to doo with people like Wauldock, Lewsey, Flutey running good lines off him, too.

Voyce is hilarious to watch. I love that Gloucester have bought him. Him + Iain Balshaw makes up the two worst wingers in the Prem. All they need is Lee Best to complete the worst back 3 possible!
pinkpenguin
Voyce is hilarious to watch. I love that Gloucester have bought him. Him + Iain Balshaw makes up the two worst wingers in the Prem. All they need is Lee Best to complete the worst back 3 possible!

Nah, you need to stick Balshaw at fullback so that every high ball is dropped, then stick an Italian winger in there. The sequence will go:

- Balshaw drops high ball, ref misses the knock on
- Balshaw passes to Voyce, ref calls flat pass. Voyce drops ball, ref says it went backwards
- Voyce runs forward for about 5 metres, then sideways for about 20, then back a bit and passes to the Italian guy.
- Italian guy kicks ball into touch on the full. Didn't realise that after all that, the ball had be taken back into the 22, opponents get lineout and score.

Simple!
lnjames
Nah, you need to stick Balshaw at fullback so that every high ball is dropped, then stick an Italian winger in there. The sequence will go:

- Balshaw drops high ball, ref misses the knock on
- Balshaw passes to Voyce, ref calls flat pass. Voyce drops ball, ref says it went backwards
- Voyce runs forward for about 5 metres, then sideways for about 20, then back a bit and passes to the Italian guy.
- Italian guy kicks ball into touch on the full. Didn't realise that after all that, the ball had be taken back into the 22, opponents get lineout and score.

Simple!

Aw! That's mean to the Italians! :p:

Ah remember the days of Tom Voyce at full back for England? He played vs. Italy at the height (read - rock bottom) of Andy Robinson's stint as coach.
I think you're all being a little bit mean to Voyce! He was pretty prolific a few years ago (albeit, with that Wasps backline, I could have scored tries on the wing).

I've had a pretty miserable sporting day. Cambridge got trashed in the Boat Race, and Ulster got mauled in Dublin. Great.

Quick Reply

Latest