The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

yo-less
This is a thread for books,authors,your fav genres in literature etc
feel free to recomend books you like,and if you can be bothered,give a short summary of them.

Join the society officially http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php

Don't have a fit or try bashing up the computer if you've joined this society officially at 'Group Memberships' but arn't on this list, I don't update it much.

I officially hand over my post as leader to Demon_AS.

As the new (or, not-so-new at present) leader for this society, I think it best to make a few additions to this post.

Click on the expand tags for further information :smile:.

How To Join

Rules

Happy posting, everyone! Please feel free to PM me if there are any issues regarding this society that you wish to discuss.

Demon_AS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*sigh* multiplied by 3 :rolleyes:

Eragon is okay.

Anything by the following authors:

James Barclay (very good and original)
James Clemens (these grew on me - some interesting ideas)
Ian Irvine (WHO IS THE NUMINATOR!?)
Trudi Canavan (not bad books, all good but not on par with the very best like Hobb)
Robin Hobb (perhaps the best books EVER)
Robert Jordan (surprisingly good)
Terry Pratchett (do Ineed to tell you)
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (tend to work on same books)
Garth Nix (obviously)
J.K.Rowling (whatever anyone says)
Reply 2
Does anybody know when there will be a new Discworld book out?
Reply 3
well,this is sad.we cant be the only people who read?
does anyone have any sci-fi recomendations?
Reply 4
yo-less

I read! I am a very literal person (or is it literary person)?

I don't know sci-fi, couldn't think of anything, really. Red Dwarf and Douglas Adams books are like the only ones I've tried.
staylor
*sigh* multiplied by 3 :rolleyes:

Robin Hobb (perhaps the best books EVER)

The Farseer Trilogy was awesome, the Liveship Traders and The Tawny Man trilogy were less so. Also, Robert Jordan has been horrible for the last several books in the Wheel of Time.

If you want some genuinely excellent fantasty, check out George R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, and China Mieville's Perdido Street Station.
yo-less

For Sci-Fi, try RedRobe, ReMix, and Lucifer's Dragon by Jon Courtney Grimwood. A neat slice of sci-fi, reminiscent of William Gibson. Alternatively, try Snow Crash by neal Stephenson, for one of the best cyberpunk works around. Then there's The Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton, possibly the best 1.2 million words of sci-fi you'll ever read. Finally of course we have Richard Morgan, whose Takeshi Kovacs novels are all good, though his Market Forces book isn't really worth reading.
Reply 7
Ferret_messiah
The Farseer Trilogy was awesome, the Liveship Traders and The Tawny Man trilogy were less so. Also, Robert Jordan has been horrible for the last several books in the Wheel of Time.

If you want some genuinely excellent fantasty, check out George R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, and China Mieville's Perdido Street Station.

Yes, Robert Jordan has been horrible.
And yes, Robin Hobb's the best (I have to say that; I'm reading the Farseer trilogy at the moment) :biggrin:
Reply 8
milady
Yes, Robert Jordan has been horrible.
And yes, Robin Hobb's the best (I have to say that; I'm reading the Farseer trilogy at the moment) :biggrin:

whats it about?

people,feel free to ask about books.for fantasy,i would recomend The Bartimaues Trilogy :smile:
Reply 9
yo-less

i read when i have the time...

i read a fantasy trilogy called mistress of the empire or something a while back... it was quite good in a padme amidala, queen of naboo kind of way...

if you fancy something hardcore, read gormenghast by mervyn peake. i think its possibly longer than the lord of the rings trilogy, but once you've gotten used to his style, it is the one of the best books you'll ever read..
Reply 10
medic_bex
i read when i have the time...

i read a fantasy trilogy called mistress of the empire or something a while back... it was quite good in a padme amidala, queen of naboo kind of way...

if you fancy something hardcore, read gormenghast by mervyn peake. i think its possibly longer than the lord of the rings trilogy, but once you've gotten used to his style, it is the one of the best books you'll ever read..

yeah people keep telling me about that author.
i'm not too fond of very heavy stuff though :redface:
Reply 11
yo-less
yeah people keep telling me about that author.
i'm not too fond of very heavy stuff though :redface:

thats a shame... he has a very heavy, descriptive style, which can lead you off the subject if you're not paying attention, but if you are, the result is a fantastic idea of the book in your head...
Reply 12
medic_bex
thats a shame... he has a very heavy, descriptive style, which can lead you off the subject if you're not paying attention, but if you are, the result is a fantastic idea of the book in your head...

*squirms guiltily*
Reply 13
yo-less
whats it about?

people,feel free to ask about books.for fantasy,i would recomend The Bartimaues Trilogy :smile:

It's about this guy who's born a royal bastard and gets recruited to work for the king as a sort of assassin. There are two types of magic, zombie-like things, and poison, oh, and creepy alien-like 'elderlings'. Well, I see them as alien-like, anyway. I haven't yet finished the series though, so perhaps I'm not qualified to say.

I own the Bartimaus trilogy :smile: (or the first two books anyway, has the third come out?). I like bartimaus the best, i thought there was not enough of him in the second one, and too much of kitty (she was ok, but she wasn't bartimaus).
Reply 14
Ferret_messiah

]I have to say I agree that the Liveship books are less good. I really liked the first Tawny Man book, but the trilogy wasnt as good as teh Farseer one.

A big part of the attraction for me is the subtle wit. Sometimes people (though mainly the Fool) say things which relate directly to Fitz life, but which are not commented on by Fitz, and which other people dont understand.
Reply 15
milady
It's about this guy who's born a royal bastard and gets recruited to work for the king as a sort of assassin. There are two types of magic, zombie-like things, and poison, oh, and creepy alien-like 'elderlings'. Well, I see them as alien-like, anyway. I haven't yet finished the series though, so perhaps I'm not qualified to say.

To be honest, that description doesnt do the series justice. I had no idea of the actual content until I read the books - even the blurb made them look different (though they are not less good for it)

Anybody know about the next Discworld book yet?
Reply 16
Ferret_messiah

What is the first Ice and Fire book?

I know what you mean about Jordan, but I cant just stop reading halfway through a Path of Daggers :biggrin: . It is annoying that Rand seems to be becoming a crazy invalid old man with a liver problem. It just makes no sense :confused:
Sci-Fi : Ian M Banks, P.K. Dick, Asimov.
Reply 18
medic_bex

agreed!
Reply 19
My favourite author is Nicholas Sparks - all of his books are great!! - i also really like the diary of anne frank and most modern literature!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending