The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sine
Dude how did you get your GP one?? Did you just go to the GP?? :lolwut:

Like I said, I rang up every single GP in two different counties, asked to speak to the Practice Manager and explained who I was and what I wanted.

I must have rang up over 50 different places, and only 1 replied positively.
Reply 1001
jonnyofengland
Like I said, I rang up every single GP in two different counties, asked to speak to the Practice Manager and explained who I was and what I wanted.

I must have rang up over 50 different places, and only 1 replied positively.

lool yh, saw what you said after I had already posted :rolleyes:

practice manager hmmm okay....so what did you actually do during your time there??
Sine

practice manager hmmm okay....so what did you actually do during your time there??

Yea, GP work experience is really hard to get. I got mine about 2 months ago...

It was a good experience... but I wasn't able to use it in my interviews and it wasn't in my personal statement - so it was a bit late :p:
Reply 1003
Toiletpaper8
Yea, GP work experience is really hard to get. I got mine about 2 months ago...

It was a good experience... but I wasn't able to use it in my interviews and it wasn't in my personal statement - so it was a bit late :p:

Lol did you get it the same way??
Sine
Lol did you get it the same way??

Nah, I was chatting to my friend at school about how difficult it is to get GP work experience and just how hard I'd been trying (I basically rang every GP within about 10 miles of where I live)...

Then my friend told me his dad is a GP at one of the places I'd tried and failed - and that he could talk to him about it. Next thing I knew, I had GP work experience :rofl:

GP work experience is pretty much about having the contacts - or you have to be be lucky like Jonny. :p:
Reply 1005
Toiletpaper8
Nah, I was chatting to my friend at school about how difficult it is to get GP work experience and just how hard I'd been trying (I basically rang every GP within about 10 miles of where I live)...

Then my friend told me his dad is a GP at one of the places I'd tried and failed - and that he could talk to him about it. Next thing I knew, I had GP work experience :rofl:

GP work experience is pretty much about having the contacts - or you have to be be lucky like Jonny. :p:

Loooool, that's funny. Well, I have no contacts :rolleyes:
Sine
Loooool, that's funny. Well, I have no contacts :rolleyes:

Talk to your friends at school - maybe some of them have parents who are GPs. Also, some GPs will take you if you basically do mundane tasks like coding all of the week and in exchange you might get to see something.

I'd personally just get hospital work experience - it's so much better. GP work experience can get a bit mundane.
Reply 1007
Toiletpaper8
Talk to your friends at school - maybe some of them have parents who are GPs. Also, some GPs will take you if you basically do mundane tasks like coding all of the week and in exchange you might get to see something.

I'd personally just get hospital work experience - it's so much better. GP work experience can get a bit mundane.

Lol, i'm trying :woo:

I have done one week so far and I learnt quite a bit.

About the friends thing, I would have known by now lol.
piece_by_piece
A consultant has been kind enough to offer me work experience during the summer holidays; however, I'll be busy for all 6 weeks as I'm doing a nuffield bursary, then I'm going abroad to do some volunteering and I'll hopefully sit the UKCAT at some point as well. I already have quite a bit of hospital work experience, so do you think I should politely decline and let someone else have my place, or would it be good if I asked for work experience during the October holidays of year 13? I suppose if I did that then it would give me something extra to talk about in my interviews as well? (Providing I get any!)

Why are you doing a Nuffield (Science) Bursary if you're going to go into medicine?

I'm not saying it's not a good thing to do - but I'd take the work experience instead :p:
Sine
Lol, i'm trying :woo:

I have done one week so far and I learnt quite a bit.

About the friends thing, I would have known by now lol.

Make sure you think about what you see, keep a note of the stuff you saw and ask any questions you have while you're there.
Reply 1010
Toiletpaper8
Make sure you think about what you see, keep a note of the stuff you saw and ask any questions you have while you're there.

lool, oooh yh notes...I did make them ...thanks for reminding me actually...they were kind of rough so I need to write them up a bit neater lol.
Sine
lool, oooh yh notes...I did make them ...thanks for reminding me actually...they were kind of rough so I need to write them up a bit neater lol.

Make sure they are notes of things you can actually talk about in an interview - not just merely observational notes of what you saw.

For example, any audits which are done. I also managed to interrogate several doctors about the stuff NICE sends them :proud:
Reply 1012
Toiletpaper8
Make sure they are notes of things you can actually talk about in an interview - not just merely observational notes of what you saw.

For example, any audits which are done. I also managed to interrogate several doctors about the stuff NICE sends them :proud:

lool okay.... I think I did a bit of both actually.... :yep: ... like about the relationship between the patients and the doctors etc.
Sine

Mine was fantastic. I spent time in every area of the Practice, e.g. taking records, spending time with nurses in Imms clinics, being at the front desk etc. to see how it all fitted together, and I was also fortunate to spend a vast chunk of time with Doctors in sessions. They were superb as well, very helpful and explained every patient I saw to me and how they went about doing what they did.

I had absolutely no interest in General Practice before, and now I'm very interested in it, so yeah, I'd definitely recommend it. :yy:

Toiletpaper8
or you have to be be lucky like Jonny. :p:

I like to think I was born lucky. :cool:
30 Gp letters – 1 reply which has now said no

I so far have for grad entry
- 2weeks hospital year 12
-2weeks GP year 12

Some voluntary work at UHND in year 12 and a year at integrated youth club. Help grad entry seems to wanted long term work experience and im so far getting no where.
brokenangel
30 Gp letters 1 reply which has now said no

I so far have for grad entry
- 2weeks hospital year 12
-2weeks GP year 12

Some voluntary work at UHND in year 12 and a year at integrated youth club. Help grad entry seems to wanted long term work experience and im so far getting no where.

Have you thought about going back to doing some more long term voluntary work? It doesn't have to be flash if you get something out of it.
jonnyofengland
Have you thought about going back to doing some more long term voluntary work? It doesn't have to be flash if you get something out of it.

Unfortuanlly my school organised that im struggerling tofind out who to contact at my local hospital.
brokenangel
Unfortuanlly my school organised that im struggerling tofind out who to contact at my local hospital.

You could try ringing the switchboard and asking to speak to HR, then asking for a volunteer co-ordinator.

Failing that, it doesn't have to be in a hospital. There's plenty of different ways to get involved in volunteer work, from things like St. John's Ambulance to helping kids with learning difficulties. Try a bit of lateral thinking and ring around a wider range of places. :smile:
Thats how I got my experience Jonny, I just called the Hospital and asked for the person who organises work experience and voluteer placements.
Degausser
Thats how I got my experience Jonny, I just called the Hospital and asked for the person who organises work experience and voluteer placements.

The most obvious advice ever :p:

Yet somehow the question is repeatedly asked....