The Student Room Group

Stuck for ideas :S Art GCSE Exam

Hey there, I need a bit of help regarding my GCSE Art exam which we have 4 weeks to prepare for(6 weeks inc easter holiday) and I have chosen to do Pop Art. Although it doesn't specifically say not to, our Art teacher has decided that it must be BRITISH Pop art. I think lichtenstein is great, and British pop art is great, but not as good as American Pop art. To get round this I am going to do a sort of 'how america influenced british pop art' section. But what I am asking, is can you guys give me some ideas, to fill my book up with. I am currently doing AO1(Research) and I am not sure how much writing to imagery I should do? My art teacher also told me to do these kinda topics:

How did Pop Art start?
Who was involved?
Definition of Pop Art
Why did it start?

So help/answers regarding those Q's would be very good also. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try to duplicate/photocopy some of Picasso's paintings.
Reply 2
I wouldn't personally recommend doing Pop Art... it's very difficult to get right
Siddd, thanks for the reply but I was thinking more like Richard Hamilton, Peter Phillips etc. and around the time that Pop Art was actually introduced, i.e. mid 1950s
morgonia
I wouldn't personally recommend doing Pop Art... it's very difficult to get right

I don't really have high hopes for Art anymore, as long as I get a C or B I am perfectly happy. I mistakedly thought it would be easier than it is. Oh and the head of art/my teacher is a right b****

Edit - What would you recommend Morgonia? The topics are:
Landscape
Pop Art
Mixed Media
West Africa
Frameworks
Colour
Changes
Can someone tell me if this would be classified as Pop Art?

http://tarazatstudios.com/nucleus/media/2/20070610-Coke-ad.jpg
Reply 6
regarding 'how much writing to imagery'; i did art gcse last year, and i think it really is all about your artwork rather than writing. i did about 10 prep sheets per project, each with little bits of annotation but mainly filled with my own work/photos etc
could depend on your school/exam board, but it seemed to work for me - A*!
Reply 7
i got images of other artists e.g. Hockney, and then messed about with them. (i was doing cubism) i started to recreate the picture using a different style, then using different colours, different sizes ect and just completely changed it. that took up a good few pages.

and i didnt really write that much, just annotations really.
The writing doesn't matter much at all, you just need to be able to show you've made a progression from the start to the end of your project. I usually start out collecting images from the internet and replicating them or taking small, interesting sections and painting them out. I start with a general topic sheet or two then move on to creating sheets for specific artists. After this, I find an artist I want to take influence from and begin taking photos/using photoshop, and from there on it develops into the final production. Any writing only needs to annotate the progression you've made, maybe with a small amount of artist research in the first few sheets.

As someone above has already mentioned, Pop Art is very difficult to get right and most people make the mistake of thinking it's easy to get good marks in. If you're not doing so well already, I'd seriously reconsider but if youre adamant in doing Pop Art then good luck to you!
Reply 9
look at a stick
Reply 10
Hi!

Was wondering if anyone could help me with my major prediciment...
I have chosen "Changes" as a starting point for my GCSE and have been researching in to body changes which lead me to unnatural changes-plastic surgery and natural changes-aging/evolution.
I am now struggling to come up with ideas for a final piece and was wondering if anyone would be able to inspire me in anyway...????
:confused:
This is probably unhelpful and vague, but when I read the plastic surgery; I just thought of clay. Maybe you could use claywork in your final piece?
Reply 12
:redface: You have ages left! I have my art exam tomorrow and the day after, eep! I'm doing changes :smile:
I am doing frameworks on the AQA paper, but I'm finding it so hard to make a start. Does anyone have an ideas of artists or types of frameworks to research?
Reply 14
There should be names of some artists within the question.
I did Changes though, so they didn't give me any artists :frown:
Think about different ways of using frameworks - a girl I know did a 3d piece that was completely contained within a box. Maybe painting over the top of frames, or outside of frames, sectioning different pieces off from the rest of your work?
Reply 15
AnnaLouise45
I am doing frameworks on the AQA paper, but I'm finding it so hard to make a start. Does anyone have an ideas of artists or types of frameworks to research?

Bambii
I...Think about different ways of using frameworks...3d piece that was completely contained within a box...painting over the top of frames, or outside of frames, sectioning different pieces off from the rest...

I think to start with you should do what bambiii said. But then don;t take the meaning too literally try looking it different types of frameworks i.e society, and how we are expected to live a certain way, follow a framework set by society or just how the different people within it together for the framework of society. This would maybe help you to get higher marks coz it deeper insight and should give you a wider range of things you could research and more artists:biggrin:
I chose to do landscape, and i did something similar to Richard Walkers work. Look him up. Simple yet effective.

A lot of my friends did pop art, they just drew sweets! :biggrin:
Reply 17
I'm so glad my art exam is finished. :smile:
Reply 18
akinasha
I think to start with you should do what bambiii said. But then don;t take the meaning too literally try looking it different types of frameworks i.e society, and how we are expected to live a certain way, follow a framework set by society or just how the different people within it together for the framework of society. This would maybe help you to get higher marks coz it deeper insight and should give you a wider range of things you could research and more artists:biggrin:

:smile: This. I just meant to give a few ideas, but it's a good idea to choose a subject for your exam - like a topic or an issue. Just brainstorm some different ideas and you should find something you like, and then develop it from there.
Hi, Im also doing changes for my topic...
So far ive looked at life and death, the four seasons and time etc...
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to do for artists??
They didnt give me any artists to look at and i have already done Monet but can't seem to find anyone else!!!
If anyone is doing the same topic or just knows of an artist then please please let me know!!!

Thanks

Latest