The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Thinking of going to QMUL but worried about the location..?

Don't be, it's fine ffs. Mile End is fine; you won't be killed/stabbed. You won't die. You'll like it. Stop being a pussy. Just because it's not in Bloomsbury doesn't make it bad.

It's fine! It's actually quite nice. 99% of what you've heard is overhyped crap, by people who haven't even been there.

Courtesy of Democracy:

Total number of crimes in Tower Hamlets in Feb 09 (this includes Mile End, Stepney, Whitechapel where QMUL is): 1932

Total number of crimes in Camden in Feb 09 (where Birkbeck, The School of Pharmacy, UCL and SOAS are): 2516

Total number of crimes in Lewisham in Feb 09 (where Goldsmith's is): 2329

Total number of crimes in Kensington and Chelsea in Feb 09 (where Imperial College and Heythrop are): 1500

Total number of crimes in Westminster in Feb 09 (where Kings College and the LSE are): 4732 (!!!!)

As you can clearly see, of the major central London institutions of the University of London, Queen Mary is actually one of the safest unis to attend.

Be sensible, take the proper precautions, and you'll be fine. If you ignore Mile End road and go a little deeper, Tower Hamlets is actually quite nice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bubbles*de*Milo
Don't be, it's fine ffs. Mile End is fine; you won't be killed/stabbed. You won't die. You'll like it. Stop being a pussy. Just because it's not in Bloomsbury doesn't make it bad.

It's fine! It's actually quite nice. 99% of what you've heard is overhyped crap, by people who haven't even been there.

:ditto::yep:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Well that's useful isn't it? Thanks..
I once went to see my friend at Queens for the first time, as I left Mile End station, I saw 2 people stealing chocolate bars for the station newsagent. No one even helped the owner.

I was shocked straight away. I would rather go to Royal Holloway or Brunel Uni instead.

btw ... I go to a better uni than all 3
Reply 4
Mile End is really nice, I live there. Is it safe? Yes, if your not stupid. You are likely to get stabbed if you are stupid and decide to take dingy alleys when your walking alone in the middle of the night.

But tbh theres people always around the Drapers area/Bancroft road from like 10pm into late night, because thats when the gym closes and the clubbing bunnies (about 100 guys and 3 girls) come in to party :P
Reply 5
Oh and the canal/park is very scenic and awesome for early morning jogging/late night murdering.
Reply 6
Yeh, Mile End is basically East Central London. It's like 2 minutes from Liverpool Street Station ffs.

I love the architecture in the Spitalfields area, for the record.
Makes me feel right at home :smile:

I didn't mind it from what i've seen..
Reply 8
Ah i've always loved qmul's campus, although i;m not going there.

Anyway I live round the area and i'm yet to be attacked or stabbed...
Reply 9
This should really end the debate.

Total number of crimes in Tower Hamlets in Feb 09 (this includes Mile End, Stepney, Whitechapel where QMUL is): 1932

Total number of crimes in Camden in Feb 09 (where Birkbeck, The School of Pharmacy, UCL and SOAS are): 2516

Total number of crimes in Lewisham in Feb 09 (where Goldsmith's is): 2329

Total number of crimes in Kensington and Chelsea in Feb 09 (where Imperial College and Heythrop are): 1500

Total number of crimes in Westminster in Feb 09 (where Kings College and the LSE are): 4732 (!!!!)

As you can clearly see, of the major central London institutions of the University of London, Queen Mary is actually one of the safest unis to attend.

Be sensible, take the proper precautions, and you'll be fine. If you ignore Mile End road and go a little deeper, Tower Hamlets is actually quite nice.

You might want to add this to the OP Holly...
Isnt it rather close to Shoreditch and Hoxton? They are very trendy areas.
Antonia87
Isnt it rather close to Shoreditch and Hoxton? They are very trendy areas.

Fairly close, yeah, a short bus journey away.

Much closer to Canary Wharf/The City though, which is what people often think of when they imagine central London.
How come the entry requirements for Law have been reduced to AAB from AAA?
SofinaaBabess

They've always been AAB to the best of my knowledge...
DrDomDom
Maybe to encourage more people to apply?

They don't need to encourage people. It's always been massively over-subscribed,
Reply 15
On the other hand, Economics entry requirements have gone up from BBB to AAB.. quite a steep increase.
Reply 16
Democracy
They've always been AAB to the best of my knowledge...

No last time I checked on their website, which was a few months ago, they were certainly asking for AAA, and a few of my friends offers were AAA (They must've sucked).
Expose
On the other hand, Economics entry requirements have gone up from BBB to AAB.. quite a steep increase.

Hmm apparently history's going up to AAA as well...

Mos Def
No last time I checked on their website, which was a few months ago, they were certainly asking for AAA, and a few of my friends offers were AAA (They must've sucked).

Lol I'm absolutely positive it was AAB, cause I remember thinking it's one of the only UofL institutes that doesn't want AAA for law.
SofinaaBabess

My offer is AAA... It changed from AAB to AAA this year
For the longest time, I thought "why has Bubbles made this thread, doesn't she go there anyways?".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending