The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

necessarily benevolent
This isn't really a grades question, but do they get the SAQ before they've made interview decisions? :confused:

I would think so, yes.
Reply 1221
necessarily benevolent
This isn't really a grades question, but do they get the SAQ before they've made interview decisions? :confused:

Ofc they do :p:.

But Cambs interview virtually everyone anyway.
Mithra
Ofc they do :p:.

But Cambs interview virtually everyone anyway.

Yes, a guy in the year below is retaking all four or five of his January exams (I think they were Bs and low As), and he asked me about it for some reason. :dontknow:
FadedJade
Well it is a low number of GCSE's to take. It also depends what subject you are applying for etc etc. It would be no good for medicine, for example. If you are predicted high As for all of your Alevels, and you explain you couldn't take more than 8, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Although you should be aware that 6A*/A is much lower than the Cambridge average applicant.

Errr... I only did 9 GCSEs (as did everyone at my school, which gets very good results for a state comprehensive) and only got 5 A*s/As, and no mention of it was made either in my reference or by my interviewers. In fact, I don't recall GCSE grades being mentioned once in the entire application process.

My school got 4 out of 7 Oxbridge applicants in from my year and they all did 9 GCSEs - I'm pretty sure having 'only' 8 GCSEs isn't going to be considered a problem.
This might seem obvious but are A2 module scores more important than AS ones for post-A2 apps? Need to get to work. :p:
Reply 1225
Hashshashin
Errr... I only did 9 GCSEs (as did everyone at my school, which gets very good results for a state comprehensive) and only got 5 A*s/As, and no mention of it was made either in my reference or by my interviewers. In fact, I don't recall GCSE grades being mentioned once in the entire application process.

My school got 4 out of 7 Oxbridge applicants in from my year and they all did 9 GCSEs - I'm pretty sure having 'only' 8 GCSEs isn't going to be considered a problem.

I think though they care less about your GCSE marks for maths though. I know that when I went to a UCAS fair someone in front of me at the Oxford stand asked how many A*/A's they needed and the guy said 6, so I asked the same question, but specifically about maths and he said it didn't matter.
necessarily benevolent
This might seem obvious but are A2 module scores more important than AS ones for post-A2 apps? Need to get to work. :p:

You're reapplying as well? I need to know this too :yep: I would assume that they are...
T-o dore
You're reapplying as well? I need to know this too :yep: I would assume that they are...

I'm uncertain. I think I've explained everything on the applicants thread that's already been set up (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=867113). Basically it depends on what I actually get in August, whether I feel I can be bothered to do it, and on the condition that I apply only to good places. Also, I'm hoping it might be possible for my current firm (either UCL or St Andrews :stomp: :confused:) to 'promise' me a place, because I have personal reasons as to why I could be taking a year out too. :smile:
My sixth form will only let me do 4AS levels, is this going to effect my chances? (I know it seems really illogical but everyone seems to have 5-6)

I'm applying 2011 for medicine btw if that's relevant, I just wanted to check now.

xx
Another pretty obvious question, but if one intends to distinguish oneself from applicants predicted an A* or two then would it be preferred to get 90% across your A2 year (for a post-A level candidate)? Would it be a requirement considering the standard offer is now A*AA? I have indeed heard though that if an applicant is predicted AAA or A*AA then they wouldn't be at a disadvantage compared to an A*A*A* candidate simply because it'd be totally optimistic to predict that (as it'd be thoroughly dependent on A2 performance).

Also, one wonders. If one gets 90%+ in one's A2 year, but not AS year (or overall) then would they be compared against other candidate's AS scores? Considering they were our most recent exams. :smile:
This is probably a stupid question, but if applying post A level, they will look for 80%+ in AS modules and 90%+ in A2 modules to determine A* level, not look for 540+ marks (i.e. 90% of overall points), right?
Reply 1231
haute_couture
This is probably a stupid question, but if applying post A level, they will look for 80%+ in AS modules and 90%+ in A2 modules to determine A* level, not look for 540+ marks (i.e. 90% of overall points), right?

Applying post A-level they won't be looking for A*s as you couldn't have got them and your exams weren't designed for them, they'll just assess you on the merit of your own marks rather than comparing them directly to this year's :yep:.
Mithra
Applying post A-level they won't be looking for A*s as you couldn't have got them and your exams weren't designed for them, they'll just assess you on the merit of your own marks rather than comparing them directly to this year's :yep:.

Thank you!!
Mithra

Hmm...but in that case then surely they can't effectively compare us to the rest of the field. Unless they allocate a fixed quota for post-A2 candidates. This is probably why they should've held off a year on this A*AA offer thing. Although, I doubt they'll pay much attention to predictions.
Reply 1234
hannah_makeawish
My sixth form will only let me do 4AS levels, is this going to effect my chances? (I know it seems really illogical but everyone seems to have 5-6)

I'm applying 2011 for medicine btw if that's relevant, I just wanted to check now.

xx

No it's not going to.

Cambridge Admissions Site
Cambridge applicants are encouraged to study either four or five AS levels in Year 12. Applicants taking four subjects will not be disadvantaged compared with those taking five subjects. We would normally expect A grades at AS level in subjects which are particularly relevant to the course you are applying for.
Reply 1235
necessarily benevolent
Hmm...but in that case then surely they can't effectively compare us to the rest of the field. Unless they allocate a fixed quota for post-A2 candidates. This is probably why they should've held off a year on this A*AA offer thing. Although, I doubt they'll pay much attention to predictions.

Well the exams for this year's AS are all completely different, the specs have changed in almost every subject, so comparing you will be difficult anyway as you have been examined on different syllabi :wink:.
Mithra
Well the exams for this year's AS are all completely different, the specs have changed in almost every subject, so comparing you will be difficult anyway as you have been examined on different syllabi :wink:.

Hmm...well they manage to compare candidates doing different exam systems anyway I guess e.g. IB and A levels, so it probably wouldn't have that great an impact. :dontknow:
Mithra

My brother's doing AS this year so I can compare and from what I've seen they really aren't that different from when I did them a couple of years ago.
I think I might try emailing the admissions office, about the post A level applications, as I can't find any "official" information on it and would like to know for definite the criteria they will use. As I have no specific college I'm guessing emailing the general admissions office would be the best bet?
Reply 1239
alex_hk90
My brother's doing AS this year so I can compare and from what I've seen they really aren't that different from when I did them a couple of years ago.

Yeah most haven't changed dramatically (although have changed quite a lot, especially wrt what is in each module). However there has been a large change in that in a fair few subjects there is a LOT less, if any, coursework, which is a big difference to previously :p:.

Latest

Trending

Trending