The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Komakino
Is anyone planning on moving into private?

Hey Komakino,

although I'm not heading to Glasgow university but Glasgow Caledonian instead, I am definitely considering private accommodation. I am a mature student from Canada and I have had the opportunity for party school and now's the time for my studies to get done. I don't know exactly the best way to find private accommodation but it might be a good option to find some that is looking for a share situation. If I do end up in private accommodation I think I will need to be inside the city centre circle.

If you find anything out please let me know what you get and if you think it's a viable choice while being in Glasgow.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 81
Just a thought... are there seperate showers for guys and gals in Cairncross and Murano? :redface:
Nope, flats and facilities are usually mixed.

I know there were one or two single sex flats in Murano when I was there but it's not common.
Reply 83
RamocitoMorales
I got my offer, accepted them. When do I get my accommodation offer?

Unfortunately they won't give you an offer until your place at the uni is firm and unconditional, unless it's changed since last year.

No one seems to have anything good to say about Unite. I'm staying at the UofG Kelvinhaugh Street residences this year because Cooperage Place mishandled my application form so many times in the summer of last year; two months, at least half a dozen phonecalls and three sets of documents filled out... absolutely ridiculous, ended up nearly shouting at someone over the phone to get my deposit back - still a further couple of phonecalls and several weeks before I had a cheque in my hand.

And yet, I am considering their shiny new perfectly located place on Gibson Street... *insanity*
sean2k2
No one seems to have anything good to say about Unite. I'm staying at the UofG Kelvinhaugh Street residences this year because Cooperage Place mishandled my application form so many times in the summer of last year; two months, at least half a dozen phonecalls and three sets of documents filled out... absolutely ridiculous, ended up nearly shouting at someone over the phone to get my deposit back - still a further couple of phonecalls and several weeks before I had a cheque in my hand.

And yet, I am considering their shiny new perfectly located place on Gibson Street... *insanity*

For what you get, Unite at CP is extortionately priced. And Gibson Street is significantly more expensive. I'm going into 3rd year and I'm looking at private rents - if you shop around you can a lot more for your money than unite offers.
Hi does anyone know what the student apartments are like at hillhead and gibson street, has any one seen and applied there? They look nice from the outside, but might be grotty on the inside, any previous residents?

When I apply for accommodation, do I need to pay some sort of pre-arrival fee or anything like that? Or? My sister said something about that but when I emailed and asked the uni whether or not there was something aside from rent that I needed to think about, they said no...
http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/fees/

The details are there. You need to pay a £300 deposit to confirm your booking.

You also pay £5 or £15 Students Welfare Fund Contribution (don't know what that is) per year.

EDIT: They don't call it a deposit they call it an Advance payment because it is deducted from the accommodation fee.
When we were on the open day they said everyone would get accommodation if they applied, which was confusing as I thought people who lived within approx 25 miles wouldn't be as likely :s-smilie:
I live round about 12 miles away and applied for QM first, Murano small second, and Murano large third. I'm just hoping now!
The extra set of halls they bought from UNITE might be enough for them to cover category B students too, I don't know.

It doesn't mean everyone will get their first choice though!
Reply 90
Does anyone know how the social life at Winton Drive compares to Murano street? It seems like the flats themselves are a bit nicer.
Reply 91
i'd be interested in knowing that too ^^
i don't particularly want to be in murano, though i know that's where most end up.
Reply 92
Has anyone else got their offer today? I got mine about an hour ago.
Glasgow Uni has a Flickr album with loads of photos of its halls on. By the looks of it, Winton has exactly the same furniture as Murano does.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasgowuniversityaccommodation/
Reply 94
david78
Has anyone else got their offer today? I got mine about an hour ago.

Me too. Murano, here I come..:biggrin:
EmmaDilemma
ah ty I've actually been wanting to see what the bedrooms look like.. my god that blue chair in the murano street bedroom reminds me of those kind of office-y chairs that sit outside your headteachers office, careers room, waiting area.. etc
does anyone else know what I mean?

Yeah. Never really used mine as a chair - it was a very good bedside table.
EmmaDilemma
oh :top:
I remember when my brother stayed in murano street you would go into his room and you could literally see nothing but books and clothes . It sort of looked like the aftermath of an atomic bomb blast :P

I found the images of folk sitting in rooms 'studying' quite amusing..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/glasgowuniversityaccommodation/3387485338/in/set-72157615841739811/

The walls are bare, the rooms are tidy, theres nothing actually in the room, the shelves are empty..

:rofl:
Yeah, the promotional shots make you cringe. This one is a particular favourite - the girl is on the internet without any connection wires (Murano doesn't have wireless).
EmmaDilemma
It doesn't?! So do you have to use those computer suites (which frankly in my opinion don't look as if they've been updated since the 90s) if you want to use the internet? Or do they have internet connections in the rooms...?
I don't really know much about the halls to be pretty honest.

You get wired internet in the room i.e. via a cable that plugs into a socket next to the desk.
It might be a silly thing to ask but I figured that it's better to ask than to walk around not really sure of what I'm doing but in their Accommodation guarantee and admissions policy they say:
Will make Offers of accommodation to applicants holding an Unconditional offer to study from April onwards and to Conditional applicants as soon as they meet the conditions of their offer of study.

It still means that I will be able to apply for accommodation now or do I need to wait until I get my final grades? If there's a deadline in August, I'll meet the deadline but I won't get the grades until June and I'd rather get this accommodation business out of the way... If I'm being silly it's because important information makes me nervous. And it does seem, based on the FAQ, that I can apply now, but I thought I'd ask anyway...
hopeneverfades
It might be a silly thing to ask but I figured that it's better to ask than to walk around not really sure of what I'm doing but in their Accommodation guarantee and admissions policy they say:

It still means that I will be able to apply for accommodation now or do I need to wait until I get my final grades? If there's a deadline in August, I'll meet the deadline but I won't get the grades until June and I'd rather get this accommodation business out of the way... If I'm being silly it's because important information makes me nervous. And it does seem, based on the FAQ, that I can apply now, but I thought I'd ask anyway...

Yep I'm fairly certain you can apply now for accommodation now but you just won't be allocated a place until your offer changes to unconditional (when you meet your conditions in august). The FAQ also says:
Q. Can I apply if Glasgow is my Insurance Choice?
A. Yes you can, however you will not be allocated accommodation until your application status becomes Unconditional Firm.

Although that doesn't answer your exact question it says that people with a conditional insurance offers can apply now, so if you have a conditional firm offer you must also be able to apply now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending