The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Post a Question about RHUL and We will answer...

Scroll to see replies

So do something. Facebook won't change anything.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 21

Bansheeee* you are my TSR hero, are you actually at Royal Holloway and if so what do you do?
I'd like to say there are hundreds of groups like that on facebook for RHUL, like most other universities to be honest.
Reply 23
i'm finishing my first year having lived in kingswood. i applied disgustingly late last year and only just got a room, and boy i'm glad i did! kingswood is the ghetto of holloways accomodation, undoubtedly, our lift is literally a moving wooden box outside of the building, whereas wedderburn etc have hotelesque lifts and lovely buildings, but nobody gives a ****. i've made a fantastic group of friends and their is such a community feel about kingswood, one that you wont find as easily in any of the other halls. everyone knows everyone else and you can saunter about and see your friends easily, whereas at other halls you need key cards etc to get into other peoples corridors. its also quite a peaceful place especially when you need to study, the quads offer a great place just to sit out in solitude and get some work done. lots of parking too so bringing a car isnt an issue.
i recommend kingswood completely!!
as for getting up earlier for lectures etc, yeah, by about ten minutes probably. as long as you're outside for the bus when it arrives (timetables are simple and everywhere) you always arrive on time and hassle-free, its literally a 3-minute drive.

another thing i'd mention, you all probably know that it isn't exactly famed for its nightlife, rhul, the union is ****, like most unions, but gives you more of an excuse to get ratassed drunk to enjoy it. windsor kingston and london obviously have endless possibiltiies for nights out. my main advice is find the party at rhul, believe me, there is one and it doesnt necessarily revolve around the su or campus bars. the people here are fascinating and if you find the right kind of people for your-kind of partying, you'll have a great time. endless house parties too, kingswood have the best hall parties though!!
Reply 24
cerby89
i'm finishing my first year having lived in kingswood. i applied disgustingly late last year and only just got a room, and boy i'm glad i did! kingswood is the ghetto of holloways accomodation, undoubtedly, our lift is literally a moving wooden box outside of the building, whereas wedderburn etc have hotelesque lifts and lovely buildings, but nobody gives a ****. i've made a fantastic group of friends and their is such a community feel about kingswood, one that you wont find as easily in any of the other halls. everyone knows everyone else and you can saunter about and see your friends easily, whereas at other halls you need key cards etc to get into other peoples corridors. its also quite a peaceful place especially when you need to study, the quads offer a great place just to sit out in solitude and get some work done. lots of parking too so bringing a car isnt an issue.
i recommend kingswood completely!!
as for getting up earlier for lectures etc, yeah, by about ten minutes probably. as long as you're outside for the bus when it arrives (timetables are simple and everywhere) you always arrive on time and hassle-free, its literally a 3-minute drive.

another thing i'd mention, you all probably know that it isn't exactly famed for its nightlife, rhul, the union is ****, like most unions, but gives you more of an excuse to get ratassed drunk to enjoy it. windsor kingston and london obviously have endless possibiltiies for nights out. my main advice is find the party at rhul, believe me, there is one and it doesnt necessarily revolve around the su or campus bars. the people here are fascinating and if you find the right kind of people for your-kind of partying, you'll have a great time. endless house parties too, kingswood have the best hall parties though!!

that's what attracted me to RHUL :coma:
Reply 25
When did you hear which accommodation you got?
When did you hear which accommodation you got?

It'll be after the deadline so sometime in June I'd imagine for UG students
Reply 27
for me it was like a week before i left because i applied so late! i don't recommend that though obviously its very risky and i nearly had to live in a house for the first year. my first year would've been very different i can tell you that much
Reply 28
1) Good mix of people?

2) How easy IS it to get to London? I don't mind the walk to the station etc.

3) Is the quiet thing at weekends really that bad?
CK101
1) Good mix of people?

Lots of private school/Oxbridge rejects I have to say and they can't ALL be bad, but for the majority that I've seen from September, are the stereotypical Jack Wills Pimms drinking socialite types. You don't tend to notice the normal students going about their business. They get lost behind the Uggs and gigantic sunglasses :rolleyes:

For me personally (but I am a postgrad) I've met a massively wide range of people who are all fantastic!

It's not actually that bad. 10 min walk to the station (once you know the short way) and if you time it right, looking at 3/5min wait for a train. The fastest train takes 40 mins from Egham to Waterloo (it goes through Richmond and you can get the tube from there, I've done it and if you're going to the west of London, it's actually easier and quicker than going into Waterloo and then back across the city).

If you miss the 23 past and 53 past, there's the 27 and 57 past which takes about an hour and just goes the long way round, much slower and stops more. Either way, it could be much worse!

Think it depends on what you're used to!
Reply 30
CK101
1) Good mix of people?

1) pretty much, yeah, though some people clique a bit. nothing different to my friends at other unis, though not as big a mix of nationalities as proper London unis. there aren't as many JACK WILLS 22 ugg people as you think - and most of them are ok once you speak to them.

2) quite easy as detailed above. slightly less than an hour from campus to waterloo.

3) depends who you make friends with. it's not as bad as it's made out to be by some, but it is there.
Reply 31
When/how do we find out if we've got our first choice for accomodation?:smile:
Kentkid

Not until after the deadline which is the 5th of June. You'll get an email to confirm but once the 5th of June has passed, just check your online accommodation application status - it'll change from whatever it is now to allocated.

There's a rumour that the option that you actually get is the one that is blanked out on your list of preference - I know it was true for me last year.

You've got about another month to wait so I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Also do not get your hopes up about getting your first choice as they'll be a bigger number of applications vs less rooms for the new halls as Williamson is postgrad next year.
Reply 33
apotoftea
There's a rumour that the option that you actually get is the one that is blanked out on your list of preference - I know it was true for me last year.

What do you mean, it's blanked out?
What do you mean, it's blanked out?

Basically, if you log into your accommodation application online portal thingy mado - you should be able to see (somewhere) a list of the halls in the order that you specified them when you first applied.

So it'll be something like:

Butler/Tuke/Williamson
Runnymede 2
Gowar/Wedderburn
Kingswood etc etc

When the time comes for accommodation decisions to be made and given out, one of those options you won't be able to see. So it'll be:

Butler/Tuke/Williamson
BLANK
Gowar/Wedderburn
Kingswood etcetc

Supposedly the blank one is meant to mean the halls that you've been allocated. I know it worked for me, and quite a few BUT NOT ALL students who were on TSR this time last year.
Reply 35
Oh, okay, I thought you meant it would be blanked out already!
Reply 36
Does Netlet work? If it does how did you manage to get the password to confirm your account? ::confused: All I get is this "You're not authorized to view this page" and I can't send an e-mail, "Delivery to the following recipients failed." :s-smilie:
Reply 37
If you are in one of the term-time-let halls such as Founder's and you can't leave for the break-time (winter/spring breaks), can you do extra payment in order to stay there?

Reply 38
Arailym
If you are in one of the term-time-let halls such as Founder's and you can't leave for the break-time (winter/spring breaks), can you do extra payment in order to stay there?

yeah u can

Kentkid

ah ur from folkestone, i went to the harvey
what is the modern language department like?
particularly the multilingual studies course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending