The Student Room Group

Psychology IA...

So for Psychology (I'm SL, first year), we're doing our internal assessment. And the teacher sent us this list of common, good, usable suggestions for topics. One of them goes,
"Social inference : Do people over-estimate the number of beads in a jar if they see a list of other peoples "over-estimates?" i.e. do they base their estimates on other peoples' views?"
And this is the one that I really want to do. Howeverrr, I cannot find a single study that's similar and the entire point is to replicate an existing, published study. And if this topic wasn't on a list that's on billions of IB Psych websites, I'd make peace with it, but it is, so I don't see the logic of it being on there if no study exists. Any advice? :s-smilie:
EmaT
So for Psychology (I'm SL, first year), we're doing our internal assessment. And the teacher sent us this list of common, good, usable suggestions for topics. One of them goes,
"Social inference : Do people over-estimate the number of beads in a jar if they see a list of other peoples "over-estimates?" i.e. do they base their estimates on other peoples' views?"
And this is the one that I really want to do. Howeverrr, I cannot find a single study that's similar and the entire point is to replicate an existing, published study. And if this topic wasn't on a list that's on billions of IB Psych websites, I'd make peace with it, but it is, so I don't see the logic of it being on there if no study exists. Any advice? :s-smilie:

I take psychology at HL and we did a study like this today in lesson. It's about conformity.

Jenness (1932)- The first person to study conformity. They used a glass bottle with beans and asked each person individually (away from the group) how many they though was in the jar. They then got a group estimate and then after the group estimate was taken they each where asked individually whether they would like to change their answer or not.

Results:
Almost all of the participants changed their answer so that it was closer to the estimate. When unsure of an answer we tend to look at others for help, conformity.

I hope this helped and if you need ANY more help with psychology just PM me, I'd be happy to help you out.
I know this is off- topic but I've been thinking about taking psychology as one of my SL subjects how do you guys like it so far? is it hard? would you recommend it?
confusedme12
I know this is off- topic but I've been thinking about taking psychology as one of my SL subjects how do you guys like it so far? is it hard? would you recommend it?

I wasn't sure on whether to take it or not either but to tell you the truth I do NOT regret it. It's an amazing course and so interesting. It's not that hard to tell you the truth but that depends on whether you have an interest in the subject...
What other subjects do you want to take and what are you planning to do when your older (so I have an idea before saying anything else)?
Reply 4
To confusedme12, I really love psychology and plan to study clinical psychology later on.
This course is different from a lot of "classic" ones, like those they teach in the regular program at my school, so basically my entire class hates it and is failing. Though I love it and have a 7. The problem that the rest of my class has with it is that it's quite abstract in the sense that we never do what they see as concrete things, like analyses of dreams and analyzing other people and those kinds of things. There are theoretical things that you may find boring like this historical contexts of the perspectives (oh, the course is divided into three perspectives CURRENTLY, the new syllabus is apparently "drastically" different, and I'm assuming it would be the one that applies to you, so actually I can't really tell you much when I think about it lol.)... nvm :tongue:

And to Sociallyanxious, thank you so much. The aim of that study (I haven't read it yet) is basically the same, correct? But do you think it would matter if my procedure was different in the way that I would have a list of estimates of other *individuals*, and not of a group as a whole?
EmaT
To confusedme12, I really love psychology and plan to study clinical psychology later on.
This course is different from a lot of "classic" ones, like those they teach in the regular program at my school, so basically my entire class hates it and is failing. Though I love it and have a 7. The problem that the rest of my class has with it is that it's quite abstract in the sense that we never do what they see as concrete things, like analyses of dreams and analyzing other people and those kinds of things. There are theoretical things that you may find boring like this historical contexts of the perspectives (oh, the course is divided into three perspectives CURRENTLY, the new syllabus is apparently "drastically" different, and I'm assuming it would be the one that applies to you, so actually I can't really tell you much when I think about it lol.)... nvm :tongue:

And to Sociallyanxious, thank you so much. The aim of that study (I haven't read it yet) is basically the same, correct? But do you think it would matter if my procedure was different in the way that I would have a list of estimates of other *individuals*, and not of a group as a whole?

Yeah the aim is basically the same, and no it shouldn't really matter as it's the same principle really. Good luck

cool someone else who wants to do clinical psychology, where do you hope to study?

Latest

Trending

Trending