The Student Room Group

Official Physiotherapy Student Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

To all bloggers and blog readers! It has recently come to my attention that university lecturer from a particular university (and therefore probably others!) are aware of and may have been reading the Physio blogs on this site....now this is not a problem as obviously we want people to read them!
But as a result I would like to remind people about how what they post on this site in a blog can be used by your university in both a positive and negative way and could be used against you in a disciplinary proceeding. Whilst your blogs are your own thoughts and feelings I would advise you to be very careful about what/who you write about so that you do not get yourself into trouble. We have had positive feedback about the blogs themselves so their presence is not currently a issue but may become one should people not continue to be careful.

You should be particularly careful when writing about placements. Writing about patients and trusts on your blog does constitute a breach of confidentiality so I advise you to be sensitive about what you write and provide no identifiable information about your patients or the trust you are on placement with. Posts going against this rule will be removed by the moderators.

All in all, keep up the good work. The feedback so far has been good and potential students continue to enjoy what you all have to say. Lets keep it that way
Jackie
Sam - whats this I read in frontline about scotland thinking of making all AHP's wear burgundy?!?!?!?!? Everyone will think we're SALT!
Reply 1042
Could you tell me how to get a flat abbs and also how can I sell adverts to linkstar like you guys? :frown:
Reply 1043
JackieS
Sam - whats this I read in frontline about scotland thinking of making all AHP's wear burgundy?!?!?!?!? Everyone will think we're SALT!

Oh god I know!! We're all up in arms....everyone has rejected it so now they are saying its going to be 'mediterranean blue':frown: Basically like a turqouise blue... but we're allowed to keep our white polo shirts until they wear out....:biggrin: What a pointless waste of time, all our patients think we're nurses anyway no matter what colour we wear!
SamJL
Oh god I know!! We're all up in arms....everyone has rejected it so now they are saying its going to be 'mediterranean blue':frown: Basically like a turqouise blue... but we're allowed to keep our white polo shirts until they wear out....:biggrin: What a pointless waste of time, all our patients think we're nurses anyway no matter what colour we wear!
oh goodness me! What ever happened to professionalism and individuality?!
Hiya all:o:

I don’t mean to invade you professionals in the making, but would greatly appreciate insider’s knowledge on the places I’ve just applied to. St. Georges, Kings College, Oxford Brookes, UEA & Liverpool .... Very excited about the fact I’ve just sent the application off in time, as well as intimidated by all the words you guys are using that I don’t understand ‘yet’!

I'm 26 & Trained as a Ballet dancer but had to give up due to injury & am now doing an Access to Health Professions course. I’ll visit the uni’s mentioned but can anyone tell me +’s & -‘s of those uni’s? I’m a practical person and have heard St. Georges is better for that over Kings but am keeping open-minded, Georges seems especially friendly:smile: I know a bit about the cities, Norwich=chilled out (is where I live currently) Liverpool=vibrant, Oxford=nice, interesting, London=dynamic, crazy (lived there for a while) but please inform me on the courses if you can, I'm trying to make that all important decision.

just to reiterate: St. Georges, Kings College, UEA, Liverpool, Oxford Brookes. If you're there recommend your uni to me:p: I won't know if I've been accepted to any of them for a while yet....:rolleyes: but want to be prepared if I do.

Thanks thanks thanks :smile:
Oh, ps. I have read most of this thread - and it's been informative, but can't find info on all those Uni's of mine so am digging again.. Sorry if this has been asked before
pps. This is also a hello to those 'already professionals' and not just one's 'in the making':smile: Just realised there is a mixture of people on here. Well done!
ppps. What did the university interview involve for those it's applicable to:s-smilie: just be yourself right?:cool:
pppps. Jackie I love your badge!!!:biggrin:

Thanks x
I'm at George's (as was Jackie) and I absolutely love it

They're really good about taking good people from access courses, and judging by interview and open days they have a far wider mix of age groups than King's. A mate on my course has a friend at King's and he's about the only mature student there, whereas at 26 you'd fit right into the middle of any of the year groups at George's.

I could go on for ages about good things at George's - it's a very practical course - so while you do get tons of theory there's also plenty of workshops about putting it into practice. So yesterday we did some gait correction theory for neuro patients and then spent the afternoon doign a practical assessing each others' gait and then analysing video clips of patients with strokes, motor neurone disease etc and working out which orthotic would work best and why. We had a guest lecturer from one of the top neuro rehab centres in the country and also a regular lecturer who used to work at the main neuro hospital in London.

Have a look at physio blogs for more details - but mine's very much positive.

Interviews may change a bit from year to year - but when I did them (and last year - I helped out with showing people round) they were questions that you pretty much got sent - or at least a list of stuff they'd ask you to talk about - so things about why you wanted to be a physio, the skills a physio needed, problems you'd have to deal with, etc

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them :smile:
Thanks iainmacn. That's very interesting, especially about the age of students - I wouldn't feel so comfortable stripping off in front of a whole room of people younger than me. Not that you mentioned the proportion of 'stripping' on the course at Georges! :wink: :wink: . They’ve sent me an email actually, asking for certificates from those with non-standard entry quals, and I guess that includes Access courses. So do you enjoy where the uni is situated? I went to school in Richmond Park yonks ago (so it would be funny if I ended up at St. Georges) but didn’t get much chance to explore, they kept us well locked up. Looks like would take about half an hour to get into central London from the tube map. Also, does St. Georges hospital have a good rep?
George's has a very good rep, and I think one of the highest rates of employment among graduates.

Plent of stripping going on at George's - it's necessary for practicals, although if we're doing a practical on the knee joint then it'll be shorts but they're not too fussed about tops. For shoulders you can wear vest tops. The only thing that really needs top off (or sports bras for girls) is the spine. tbh you get pretty used to removing clothes in front of the group. If there's any religious reasons for not removing clothes then they work aorund it so it's cool.

Tooting isn't exactly a great place in itself, but it's on the tube so easy to get into Central London and there's buses to loads of places like Wimbledone and Kingston. Then again, there's a real student culture so if you're not too snooty about Tooting there's loads of studenty pubs, cheap curry houses etc, plus some really good entertainment on site. They run plenty of sports, so if you fancy trying something like rowing they run that from Chiswick which isn't too far away. I never tried it before but i absolutely love it.

Yeah - you'll need to send details of access course (and probably take any certificates along to interview)
Reply 1050
Professional opinions on THIS would be appreciated :yep:

Congrats on all your respective offers :smile:
iainmacn
George's has a very good rep, and I think one of the highest rates of employment among graduates.

Tooting isn't exactly a great place in itself, but it's on the tube so easy to get into Central London so if you're not too snooty about Tooting there's loads of studenty pubs, cheap curry houses etc,

Thanks again, nope I'm not snooty about Tooty:cool:
Hi, erm sorry if its been asked and i no you asked to try keep these questions to other forums but cant find anything on it...
Just wandering what Leeds Met is like for physio, i havent honestly heard anything too good about it, but havent asked any actual students.
Thanks
Reply 1053
Dukey im a 2nd year physio at LMU, i dont know what you've heard but theres nothing wrong with it at all. Obviously i've not done the course at any other unis, so i cant make a comparison, but then neither can anyone else. Its pretty well organised, facilities are good, some of the lecturers are great, not all (i'd imagine its like this at most unis) but most are competent. lots of good placement links (leeds is full of hospitals). leeds is an awesome city to be a student as well
Yer, well im kinda changing my mind... so far two people have replied to me and you and the other who is a 1st year both sound Happy :smile:, so thats 100% lol.
Just wandering though is the course more theory or practical based??? heard it varies Uni to Uni so... And yer ive heard Leeds is one of the best student area's :biggrin:.
Thanks
No blog from a Kings student? . . . does that mean the course is difficult and busy?! Would love to hear about how it is to study physio at Kings, just got a conditional offer :smile: x

PS. Georges is awesome, and the blogs are great!
Any news on an offer Activeroo? George's is usually pretty quick with them - my offer was on UCAS and the mail telling me about it from UCAS came the day after, so check track!

Wish we did have a King's blog - would be interesting to compare. One of my mates at George's has a friend from his access course at King's - general feeling is that it's theory biased. George's does theory but mixes it well with practical. I'm sure it's still a good course though :smile:
Nothing yet iainmacn. I obviously baffled them and they can't decide whether I'm worth it or not! It could go either way, if I do get an offer I'll be thrilled tho... (and very confused, because I'm a terrible decision maker). Aren't you on placement at the mo? x
Reply 1058
First year Physio student requires help due to long absence in clinical physiotherapy module.

Any help from post grad would be greatly appreciated. Willing to pay, but not massive amount.

Hope to here from someone soon.

Regards,
Naredy :smile: .
Reply 1059

First year Physio student requires help due to long absence in clinical physiotherapy module.

Any help from post grad would be greatly appreciated. Willing to pay but not massive amount.

Regards,
Naredy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending