The Student Room Group

Can you eat tinned food without heating it up?

I just wunderd if you could eat stuff out of the tin without heating it e.g soup, beans,spagetti, ricepudding. Im going camping and don't want the hassle of having to heat stuff up, and any suggestions on cheap food good for camping is welcome :biggrin:
Reply 1
Yeah they're all fine without being heated up. Problem is they don't taste as good!
Yeah, there's the obvious tinned fruit which doesn't need heating up to taste good.
I know friends who eat Baked-Beans, sans heating, not to my taste really.
heinz beans straight out the tin taste quite nice :yep:
Reply 4
Yep, lots of people do this when camping if they don't have access to a heat source :smile: One thing I would say though, is that if you're not staying in the same place (i.e. you'll probably be walking a bit), then tins are probably not the best idea as they can be a little heavy; packets of dried food etc. might be better, or at least a mix of the two.
Reply 5
Yes. It's how I survived Reading festival last year. :yep:
Reply 6
don't heat my anchovies
Reply 7
Thing I eat from the can without being heated up:

Beans
Spaghetti
Rice Pudding
Vegetable curry
Cheese Ravioli (niiiice)
Fruit
Custard

I've heard you can also get a 'breakfast in a tin' deal :smile:

x:yep:
Reply 8
Yes generally, almost all food in a can is precooked or processed so it is edible raw.
Reply 9
THANKS GUYS!! Im not like backpacking, just going camping near this beach tonight, so I think I'll take some tins down :biggrin:
grape:)
Thing I eat from the can without being heated up:

Beans
Spaghetti
Rice Pudding
Vegetable curry
Cheese Ravioli (niiiice)
Fruit
Custard

I've heard you can also get a 'breakfast in a tin' deal :smile:

x:yep:

You can indeed, and they are so nice; sausages, beans, mushrooms, scotch eggs all in a tomato sauce :cool:
Reply 11
soph_surfs
THANKS GUYS!! Im not like backpacking, just going camping near this beach tonight, so I think I'll take some tins down :biggrin:

Hot dog sausages skewered on a stick over a roaring fire are loverly. Stick in some beans and you're sorted.
Reply 12
POT NOODLES (BOMBAY BADBOY) FTW!

ok yes i know they are not tinned and require hot water but still...
Urm... raw spaghetti tastes bomb on its own I am literally sitting here eating it rn
Pilchards would taste weird if you heated them up :s-smilie:
So am I
Breakfast!?
Can you eat tinned macaroni cheese raw from the tin

Quick Reply

Latest