The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

which greater?;

πeeπ \displaystyle \pi^{e^{e^{\pi}}} or eπee \displaystyle e^{\pi^{e^e}}
Is there a concise way of referring to "the set of numbers in which are complex but not real" (i.e. the often used erroneous meaning of "complex") in... y'know, words. Unreal?
"not real"?
Hmm, but are there numbers outside of the complex set? (I should know but I, err, don't.)
Depends on context. In writing, C\R\mathbb{C} \backslash \mathbb{R} would probably be the way to go to avoid ambiguity. Verbally you'd probally do the same: "C minus R".
Reply 1745
Glutamic Acid
Hmm, but are there numbers outside of the complex set? (I should know but I, err, don't.)

Yes and no. There are other number systems: Quaternions, Octonians... but that's slightly different

You would really need to start by telling me what you mean by "numbers"
SimonM
Yes and no. There are other number systems: Quaternions, Octonians... but that's slightly different

You would really need to start by telling me what you mean by "numbers"

Quaternions was the system I was thinking about, but neglected to mention them as I don't really know what they're about. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I'd define a "number".
Reply 1747
Glutamic Acid
Quaternions was the system I was thinking about, but neglected to mention them as I don't really know what they're about. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I'd define a "number".

Well, there are plenty of "types" of numbers, and since "numbers" are a useless concept without at least some kind of function defined on them. (Even if that function is something as simple as a "successor" function which gives our numbers the purpose to tell us how many cows we have)

That said, you can't ask if there are any numbers outside the complex set, if you wont tell me what counts!
It seems to me that anything which admits a ring structure which can be extended to a division algebra would cover everything up to quaternions, but also would omit certain types of modular arithmetic. On the other hand, if we say anything constructed by extending or modifying the natural numbers is a "number system", we'd be forced to accept things like vectors and matrices as numbers. Hmmm. This is an interesting problem.
I was just about to say how you really need to define what is meant by a number i.e why would we call a complex number a "number" but not the spiral matrices which are equivalent to them.
Original post by Erd&#337
H \mathbb{H} ? (I have no experience of Quaternions).

Yep. (Which I discovered from Wikipedia earlier.)
Reply 1751
toasted-lion
You do maths while out for a meal?

He's picking up my bad (?) habits. :h:
This is a hard problem.

Solve

x+2=3x+2=3

My method

x+2=3x+2=3

(x+2)×0=3×0(x+2)\times0= 3\times 0

x×0+2×0=0x\times 0 + 2 \times 0= 0

x×0=0x\times 0 = 0

x=00x=\frac{0}{0}

x=00x=0^0

x=1x=1 using the fact that a0=1a^0=1 for all a.

Check
1+2=3=31+2=3=3
if you were infront of me now I would probably pull my pants down and dickslap you Simplicity

Spoiler

simplicity :love: - you coming to the maths meet?
Simplicity
This is a hard problem.

Solve

x+2=3x+2=3

My method

x+2=3x+2=3

(x+2)×0=3×0(x+2)\times0= 3\times 0

x×0+2×0=0x\times 0 + 2 \times 0= 0

x×0=0x\times 0 = 0

x=00x=\frac{0}{0}

x=00x=0^0

x=1x=1 using the fact that a0=1a^0=1 for all a.

Check
1+2=3=31+2=3=3

Alternative:

Spoiler

Edit: I should have postmultiplied my inverse matrix, so my method is invalid.
How would you actually solve the equation using a matrix?

Also, how you solve a equation like
x2y2=dx^2-y^2=d
and
x+y=ex+y=e
lets say e=1 and d=2

As I got a similar question in FP4 and couldn't anwser it as it was not in the books or the other pasts papers, I really don't want to read the uni book I got on matrices to find out.
they have a tinge of simulataneous equations
Hathlan
He's picking up my bad (?) habits. :h:

I don't know about bad, I was thinking more unusual. "I'll have the soup of the day, but will you give me a minute to solve this cubic first?" I just can't imagine it.

"Anything else with your meal madam, salt and vinegar perhaps?"
"No thank you, just a protractor"

No no, definitely can't imagine it.
Reply 1759
toasted-lion
I don't know about bad, I was thinking more unusual. "I'll have the soup of the day, but will you give me a minute to solve this cubic first?" I just can't imagine it.

"Anything else with your meal madam, salt and vinegar perhaps?"
"No thank you, just a protractor"

No no, definitely can't imagine it.

I usually have my own protractor if I suspect I'm going to need one. (Heehee).

Quick Reply

Latest