The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yes. it's an immense calculator.
Reply 2
Yes used it last year, it is only useful to check, as you have to show your working to get all the marks , but really is an immense calculator =]
But at the front of exam papers is says: "Candidates may use any calculator EXCEPT those with the facility for symbolic algebra, differentiation and/or integration."
Like anyone really goes round and checks what calculator you are using!
+ it looks the same as all the other ordinary calculators.
It's the calculator I'm using. It's awesome. Means I don't have to work out actual values and stuff because it all comes up like that =)
I'm sure it's fine though =)
Reply 5
That has got to be an unfair advantage, even if it 'only' lets you know if you're answer was right or not. You couldn't ask a teacher to look at your work and tell you if it's ok during an exam.

And if examiners are supposed to give no credit without working, they probably will give credit.
Reply 6
Waterstorm
But at the front of exam papers is says: "Candidates may use any calculator EXCEPT those with the facility for symbolic algebra, differentiation and/or integration."

It can't do symbolic differentiation or integration.

It can say that d/dx(ln(3)) is a 1/3 but it wont show you that d/dx(ln(x)) is 1/x
I ******* love this calculator :coma:. It can do complex numbers and matrices ffs.
yes you are. i have a casio 9850gc plus - and the stuff it can do is extremely helpful - definately gives you an unfair advantage in my eyes.

But yes they are allowed
Reply 9
eulerwaswrong
yes you are. i have a casio 9850gc plus - and the stuff it can do is extremely helpful - definately gives you an unfair advantage in my eyes.

But yes they are allowed

How would you compare it to the 991, is it worth getting for further maths (and uni)?
Yes, and its fantastic. Vectors, matrices, solving quadratics. This calculator is your best friend.
Reply 11
I liked that calculator, I bought it two years ago just before I started college, and then discovered that I needed the TI82 graphical calculator, which I did not like. I am used to it now, but I miss the calculator like hell, I gave it to my brother who will probably abuse it...
illy123
How would you compare it to the 991, is it worth getting for further maths (and uni)?

having never used a 991 - i can onyl assume that it is very similar with just more functions, and it can draw graphs and do quite a bit with graphs, conics dynamic graphs, and can do more cool stuff, can connect it to motion sensors etc/computers/download programs and stuff for it.

Be careful buying a calculator for uni as some unis only let you use certain models in exams - like i know the one im using is not allowes in cambridge exams ( i think so - i remember reading this a while back - might be wrong) - but the point is it is worth checking with the uni.

and there are probably newer and better ones out there - mines like 3 years old
Reply 13
eulerwaswrong
having never used a 991 - i can onyl assume that it is very similar with just more functions, and it can draw graphs and do quite a bit with graphs, conics dynamic graphs, and can do more cool stuff, can connect it to motion sensors etc/computers/download programs and stuff for it.

Be careful buying a calculator for uni as some unis only let you use certain models in exams - like i know the one im using is not allowes in cambridge exams ( i think so - i remember reading this a while back - might be wrong) - but the point is it is worth checking with the uni.

and there are probably newer and better ones out there - mines like 3 years old

So I guess you should chose Imperial to suit your calculator? :p:

Thanks, that's good advice. I will need to check what LSE will allow. I don't think its worth me spending £50 on further maths as I already have the E ... and the FX991 is very good (differentiation, intergration, solve polynomials, matricies, etc)
I just had a look at it, it say's 'equation solver', so you can type in a complicated function and find the value for something like x? And you if dy/dx = some function, the calculator can instantly find values for x, y etc? - and you're allowed that? If so, I need to get this! :yep:

Latest