The Student Room Group

Low BMI - How Dangerous?

Well, I'm 5"10 and weight 124 pounds, which puts my BMI at about 17.8.

I've had problems with my stomach for years, and my mother is identical for me - we have small waists and the most fat appear around our stomachs. Not a huge amount, but still existant. But now I'm finally toned and flat (not after any effort on my part, but I have lost weight recently) but accordin to the BMI I am officially underweight. But I'm finally happy with my stomach, so how danerous is a low BMI?

I'd only have to gain another 5 pounds to be classed as healthy, but I don't want to lose my flat stomach with it, although I don't want to risk my health obviously...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am 15.6
I am healthy and I feel great :smile:
Reply 2
Mine is 15.1 which sounds worrying - but as far as I can tell I have no adverse health issues?
So who cares!?

EDIT:Actually, 15.3 ... makes all the difference!
Reply 3
Not that bad I don't think?
Mine's slightly lower than 16 and I'm fine.
17.8 isn't too bad, it's only just below the healthy limit (i think), whereas 15.3 is really really skinny, and you won't have adverse health conditions now, they'll start to come out when your older, what kind of stuff do you eat?
Reply 5
Mine has been 16.5 for years and I am still alive and well :smile: Nothing to worry about.
Reply 6
Ok. I just thought I'd check, cuz my friends have noticed "i've lost weight" and keep bugging me to put it back on. But I'm happier as I am, so I don't see why I should...

And 18.5-25.0 is considered a healthy BMI amonst women.
Reply 7
Louise_x
Well, I'm 5"10 and weight 124 pounds, which puts my BMI at about 17.8.

I've had problems with my stomach for years, and my mother is identical for me - we have small waists and the most fat appear around our stomachs. Not a huge amount, but still existant. But now I'm finally toned and flat (not after any effort on my part, but I have lost weight recently) but accordin to the BMI I am officially underweight. But I'm finally happy with my stomach, so how danerous is a low BMI?

I'd only have to gain another 5 pounds to be classed as healthy, but I don't want to lose my flat stomach with it, although I don't want to risk my health obviously...

Similar to my BMI. I plan to fix it through exercise and putting on muscle mass. If you think you have room to improve your fitness, then perhaps this would be a good way of going about it? It might be possible to put on a bit of muscle mass which wouldn't detract from your figure and move you into a healthier weight range.
As long as you know you're eating enough then you shouldn't worry too much. I'm about 17 and I know I eat the right amount. I see you're only 16 years, so you'll still be growing and your weight fluctuates.
Reply 9
Kyle_S-C
Similar to my BMI. I plan to fix it through exercise and putting on muscle mass. If you think you have room to improve your fitness, then perhaps this would be a good way of going about it? It might be possible to put on a bit of muscle mass which wouldn't detract from your figure and move you into a healthier weight range.

Yeah, I've thouht about this option before, but truth is I'm too lazy. Sure, my fitness could be improved - I'm not the healthiest of people.
But what types of excersizes are you planning to do? Just sit ups and the like at home, or a proper routine at the gym or something?
Reply 10
Louise_x
Yeah, I've thouht about this option before, but truth is I'm too lazy. Sure, my fitness could be improved - I'm not the healthiest of people.
But what types of excersizes are you planning to do? Just sit ups and the like at home, or a proper routine at the gym or something?

Well, I had access to a free gym at work a couple of years ago so I got into it. Once you get into things it becomes addictive and much easier to overcome laziness (I have a similar problem). Is there a gym at school/college you could join up to?
Reply 11
jessiainscough
17.8 isn't too bad, it's only just below the healthy limit (i think), whereas 15.3 is really really skinny, and you won't have adverse health conditions now, they'll start to come out when your older, what kind of stuff do you eat?

Just normal food
I don't over-indulge but I certainly don't diet - my Mum would never allow it!

I think a general indication is if your still having periods - if you are then that's your bodies way of saying your healthy. And I'm all good on that front so not to worry
Reply 12
Kyle_S-C
Well, I had access to a free gym at work a couple of years ago so I got into it. Once you get into things it becomes addictive and much easier to overcome laziness (I have a similar problem). Is there a gym at school/college you could join up to?

No, nor are there any local gyms I could get to until I can drive, as buses are unreliable in my area. I'd have to be reliant upon other people driving me there. But I don't know, maybe just starting running around my village would do me some good, build up some muscle, but still keep me toned. And not just around my stomach, too!
Reply 13
don't worry about it... BMI has a lot of flaws. It's not entirely accurate.

As long as you don't look anorexic, you generally feel energetic and people can't clearly see your bones, you should be ok.
Reply 14
Louise_x
No, nor are there any local gyms I could get to until I can drive, as buses are unreliable in my area. I'd have to be reliant upon other people driving me there. But I don't know, maybe just starting running around my village would do me some good, build up some muscle, but still keep me toned. And not just around my stomach, too!

Sounds good, make sure you eat enough to allow for muscle growth too.
Reply 15
It won't affect you now, i think the growth spurt is between the ages of 20 - 25 so your bound to put some weight on then. However, if your still really slim then this can possibly affect your health in future.
Reply 16
If your BMI index is too low, you'll eventually start to float in the atmosphere. This is not good for health, since if you pass the ozone layer dangerous skin complications can occur.

You've been warned.
Reply 17
SunderX
If your BMI index is too low, you'll eventually start to float in the atmosphere. This is not good for health, since if you pass the ozone layer dangerous skin complications can occur.

You've been warned.

I lol'd at this.
Reply 18
BMI under 17.5 is connected to very serious health issues, and is considered the cut off point for anorexia nervosa. Low BMIs can lead to problems with skin, hair, osteoporosis, amenhorrea (in women), reduced fertility, heart complications, renal complications, and the list goes on.

On the other hand, if you're under 21, you need to use a BMI scale adjusted for children, because the adult one will be inaccurate.
^^ that.
some of the damage from being significantly underweight is cumulative, so no offence but those people who said 'I'm at x and I'm fine'...doesn't really mean anything. in my experience acute complications don't set in until extremely low bmis, but long term complications can occur over time.

Latest