The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Liquidus Zeromus
********, really. It only requires an attention span and a brain to understand. And it's alot more serious and consistent. Well, Stargate at least.
Technobabble? Minimal. You're left to speculate on the supposed science behind gadgets, and marvel at all sorts of creative concepts behind it, and yet there's a possibility of at least some of it working in the future.
Doctor Who, on the other hand, has bizarre episodes with a simple format and a mix of science and fantasy. There is no thought or science involved. Mind numbing, anti-intellectual, and boring.

Couldn't care less for any pretentious nerdy hard science, just prefer all out action and escapism with a dash of surrealism, too. That's what makes Who so special be it episodes from the 60s, 70s, 80s or recent.
And besides there were a few Doctor Who episodes in seasons 18 and 19 that many reckon involved a lot of serious science, and I still enjoyed them.
robocop1andahalf
Couldn't care less for any pretentious nerdy hard science, just prefer all out action and escapism with a dash of surrealism, too. That's what makes Who so special be it episodes from the 60s, 70s, 80s or recent.
And besides there were a few Doctor Who episodes in seasons 18 and 19 that many reckon involved a lot of serious science, and I still enjoyed them.

There's your problem, dismissing it all as "nerdy" hard science. I prefer something that makes some sort of sense to the random stuff in Doctor Who. Completely random, and I don't like unrealistic or nonsensical action. It's a total mystery, which you can't figure out or reason with. And that's why I don't like it. A few Dr Who episodes, not the majority...
Put it this way, Stargate is not farfetched like Dr Who but the scientific concepts don't kill enjoyment one bit. It has a great atmosphere which is properly built. And it has alot of space travel :yep:
Reply 62
The old Doctor Who (up until the late 1980s) was brilliant; they really put effort into writing good stories for it, and my favourite Doctor has to be a toss-up between William Hartnell (the first) and Tom Baker (the fourth). But the news series is a compete disgrace: they look like they've just been knocked together to keep the fangirls happy.

So yeah, Doctor Who is more than a bit crap, these days.
Tootles
The old Doctor Who (up until the late 1980s) was brilliant; they really put effort into writing good stories for it, and my favourite Doctor has to be a toss-up between William Hartnell (the first) and Tom Baker (the fourth). But the news series is a compete disgrace: they look like they've just been knocked together to keep the fangirls happy.

So yeah, Doctor Who is more than a bit crap, these days.

:ditto:

It seems like they're cashing in on the old brand rather than producing quality stuff, really.
Liquidus Zeromus
:ditto:

It seems like they're cashing in on the old brand rather than producing quality stuff, really.

As long as you're not dissing vintage Who, that's fine then. :wink:
Liquidus Zeromus

I have to agree, I just don't think the Sonic Screwdriver and Daleks really appeal to as wide an audience these days as it did decades ago.
I Love Doctor Who!

Love It. Love It. Love It.
I thought I was the only one! I feel no attachment to any of the characters (the Doctor is always fine and the assistants are annoying and they come and go anyway). It's not really sci-fi, and each episode is just so predictable. I end up just waiting for an episode to end and not caring what happens. Seems like it's trying to cater to too many audiences.
I have sat through quite a few Doctor Who episodes, none have grabbed me, only a couple have been fairly entertaining, i have no idea why. Like, the Doctors have always been really good actors who i don't mind at all, the show as a whole just doesn't keep me interested enough.