The Student Room Group

UMS Calculator - Work Out What Grades You Need!

Scroll to see replies

OP, i have a question about ums..is it on a sliding scale or a fixed award

if i got a mark, that was for example, 40/60 and it was a C grade, yet 41/60 was a B grade...

will the UMS mark still stay at the standerd 72/120...?? How proportionate is it

does that make sense? lol
michaelyus
They have to be the UMS marks.

It's actually

ENA1 - 105
EA2C/EA2W - 90
ENA3 - 105
EA4C/EA4W - 90
ENA5 - 90
ENA6 - 120

The marks you put in are NOT the marks on the paper you're sitting. They are the ones scaled up and converted, averaged out by the exam board statistically etc. etc. until they get back to you on your results slip.

Is there a way of converting the marks in the exam to UMS points yourself?
Reply 42
anna_spanner89
OP, i have a question about ums..is it on a sliding scale or a fixed award

if i got a mark, that was for example, 40/60 and it was a C grade, yet 41/60 was a B grade...

will the UMS mark still stay at the standerd 72/120...?? How proportionate is it

does that make sense? lol

Not too sure what you mean. Are you saying 40/60 after standardization?
Reply 43
kingofgods
Is there a way of converting the marks in the exam to UMS points yourself?

Quite simply, no. Lol. Would be great if we could though!
pcok
Not too sure what you mean. Are you saying 40/60 after standardization?

for example i got a raw mark of 40...yet the boundaries for a b was 41...

would my UMS STILL be 63 (B)...even one mark higher it could be 72(a)...
Reply 45
anna_spanner89
for example i got a raw mark of 40...yet the boundaries for a b was 41...

would my UMS STILL be 63 (B)...even one mark higher it could be 72(a)...

Oh right. Well the difference wouldn't be that much. For example take a look at this. I know it's for maths, and just for June 07, but it's just an example to see how they do it. Page 4 is the most useful. But it's worth remembering that grade boundaries in maths do not fluctuate as much as essay subjects, which are in general a lot lower.
Reply 46
Just bumping this cos I keep seeing people ask what grades they need!
Reply 47
Thank you very much ^_^!!!
thanks so much
pcok

Hey, thanks for the UMS calculator.
Just one question.
With many of the new A levels using two units, is there a UMS calculator that will do that?
Because the UMS calc you have assumes three units - which is fine for maths and other sciences; but not for the new spec history, economics...etc
Reply 50
Stricof
Hey, thanks for the UMS calculator.
Just one question.
With many of the new A levels using two units, is there a UMS calculator that will do that?
Because the UMS calc you have assumes three units - which is fine for maths and other sciences; but not for the new spec history, economics...etc

Yeah just change it around a bit; get rid of the third column and recalculate the other bits.
Reply 51
THANK YOU so much for posting...its been a great motivator and allows me not to waste time trying to work them out (my maths is kinda bad lol) =)
Reply 52
Sorry if this is a slight necro, but this calculator is immense. Seriously, I feel so much better about my A2's next month now.
I don't get it! so like I got 252 in AS for Sociology which is an A...So does that mean I need an E this year? huh? Dnt make sense...I wish....please help!! lol .... how do i get A's when i'm actually not that smart lol!
OKKK...I think i'm getting it... so:

last year in sociology i got:
AS: U1: 79/105
U2: 105/105
U3: 68/90
Total: 252 = A

I am not sure but i think that this year it is

U4: out of 90
U5: out of 90
U6: out of 120

Correct me if this is wrong please :s-smilie:

So basically my 252 is and E at A2...so i need anoth 228 to get an A overall?

So when it says A2 is out of 600...really the two years are 300 each not like how i thought where i only needed 228 which was an E at A2...this completely bewildered me.

So have i corrected myself?
Reply 55
pcok
I got this from somebody last year on TSR I think, but people keep asking for it so I thought it would be helpful to post it! ...

Hi sorry to bother, I'm doing the new AS Specifications at the minute and I only have two units a year, so only two exams. Does this not work for the new spec as it requires three unit marks to work correctly? Sorry again! :woo:
Lady_Barrister
OKKK...I think i'm getting it... so:

last year in sociology i got:
AS: U1: 79/105
U2: 105/105
U3: 68/90
Total: 252 = A

I am not sure but i think that this year it is

U4: out of 90
U5: out of 90
U6: out of 120

Correct me if this is wrong please :s-smilie:

So basically my 252 is and E at A2...so i need anoth 228 to get an A overall?

So when it says A2 is out of 600...really the two years are 300 each not like how i thought where i only needed 228 which was an E at A2...this completely bewildered me.

So have i corrected myself?

Wohay! I got 105/105 in Education too. :wink:

Anyway, Yeh you got it. You only need 228/300 in A2 to get an A grade overall. 228/300 is a mid B. So basically you need a mid B overall in A2 to get an A grade in sociology.
Woo! We rule at education! Haha...:smile:

Mid B? Ooo not bad not bad! Thanks so much for your help! x

Getting 52/60 on an exam one year does not equate to the same UMS another year if the grade boundries are different.
do i need to post to use this tool?

Quick Reply

Latest