Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Re-sitting EC102

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
whats_its_face
S
LSE exams are a bitch, the work isnt too bad, but the exams, you need to know your stuff pretty damn well...

...and that's the difference between A levels and LSE- you pretty much got all A candidates here, so you need to differentiate between the students who 1) know their stuff 2) can be flexible in applying it.

In EC210 for example, questions are based on bizarre modifications to the taught models. :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
2late
...and that's the difference between A levels and LSE- you pretty much got all A candidates here, so you need to differentiate between the students who 1) know their stuff 2) can be flexible in applying it.

In EC210 for example, questions are based on bizarre modifications to the taught models. :smile:

I think that is the problem Im having. Being able to do economics not study economics.
Has anyone got any tips for EC102 in terms of what to do throughput the year as I will be doing this next year and I have no previous knowledge of Economics whatsoever!
Reply 23
i hear alwyn young's leaving lse for harvard tbh. lots of talk though, don't really know what's going on.

he's amazing, all the econs teacher want to bum him up, but i'll be glad (kinda) that he'll be gone next year because it means resits will be easier. i hope it doesn't come to that of course..

:frown: i half laughed and died when i saw the scrooges being haunted by ghost part of the section C question. we're dying in anxiety and you try to make a joke?? wtff cruelness.
Nissay
i hear alwyn young's leaving lse for harvard tbh. lots of talk though, don't really know what's going on.

he's amazing, all the econs teacher want to bum him up, but i'll be glad (kinda) that he'll be gone next year because it means resits will be easier. i hope it doesn't come to that of course..

:frown: i half laughed and died when i saw the scrooges being haunted by ghost part of the section C question. we're dying in anxiety and you try to make a joke?? wtff cruelness.

I know I thought that question was weird. Maybe the scrooges represents us being haunted by an EC102 exam :p:

Probably Professor Young might consider leaving due to pay. Maybe Havard can offer him more money due to the amount of funding they get. Plus Im sure all the Econ teachers will be sad he's gone as they all admire him
Chrisateen
I know I thought that question was weird. Maybe the scrooges represents us being haunted by an EC102 exam :p:

Probably Professor Young might consider leaving due to pay. Maybe Havard can offer him more money due to the amount of funding they get. Plus Im sure all the Econ teachers will be sad he's gone as they all admire him

i personally think that Chicago are offering hima wage 1.25 his LSE salary so he can buy biscuits and Ice cream..
Abercrombie&Fitch
i personally think that Chicago are offering hima wage 1.25 his LSE salary so he can buy biscuits and Ice cream..

Maybe he added the question as a hint to the LSE to give him more money lol
Reply 27
j-b
I think you gotta resit econb even if you pass/do well in others. But it wont count towards you're degree, however ec102 is a module that is a prerequisite to perform advanced economics courses in 2nd/3rd years, so if thats you're type then you must retake and it will count-
I think some people retake whole year cos they failed this module. That said, its hard but it not that hard to get 40%, which is a pretty pathetic way of lookin at it- but yeah

what?? some people re-take the WHOLE year if they failed only EC102??? you must be kidding me. they are insane.
Reply 28
AirWave
what?? some people re-take the WHOLE year if they failed only EC102??? you must be kidding me. they are insane.

Nah, you've got to fail at least two to have to retake the whole year.
AirWave

If you fail one course you can still move on till the second year but you just have to resit it along with all the other courses you do in second year. Otherwise if you just fail one and have to resit soo many students will be resiting first year
Reply 30
Chrisateen

Im also disappointed with the revision lectures as it doesn't seem to have a proper reflection of what is going to be on the exam and it is a shame as had they have asked more of the stuff that is similar to the revision lecture questions I might have a bit more confidence that I have passed

as far as i know ian didn change the revision lecture too much from last years. so prof young will know what he covers. so obviously he is not gonna have questions which are the same but just different numbers.

that said, section B and C sucked majorly.
danny111
as far as i know ian didn change the revision lecture too much from last years. so prof young will know what he covers. so obviously he is not gonna have questions which are the same but just different numbers.

that said, section B and C sucked majorly.

I know he won't but still Ian could have changed it up a bit more otherwise there is no point and we would end up revising stuff that is not on the exam
Reply 32
Chrisateen
I know he won't but still Ian could have changed it up a bit more otherwise there is no point and we would end up revising stuff that is not on the exam

thats my point. prof young doesnt want us to do that. i remember him saying sometime during the year about his son and revising for a level just by looking at past papers. he wants us to get the questions right by just by using our knowledge of economics. not applying some sort of method learned through practice.

obviously makes the exam so much harder :frown:
danny111
thats my point. prof young doesnt want us to do that. i remember him saying sometime during the year about his son and revising for a level just by looking at past papers. he wants us to get the questions right by just by using our knowledge of economics. not applying some sort of method learned through practice.

obviously makes the exam so much harder :frown:

Oh yeah I remember when he told us that at the beginning of the school year and yes he has suceeded in making economics unpredictable. It also shows that some people may know economics but have no clue how to apply economics to senarios which is why lots of people fail the course.

I also slightly made that mistake when revising for my exams which has cost me a little bit when it came to my exams
Well Ian had not seen the paper therefore could not have changed the revision lectures. Also why would he? This is suppose to be a tough course, it would lower the standards set if he went over the answers to the exam.
Abercrombie&Fitch

i wish you could like posts on student room.
Reply 36
Oh dear this thread has scared me...
Reply 37
Swayum
Oh dear this thread has scared me...

EC102 scares me!
hiya! so just wondering, do we have to retake the whole year if we fail econ b please?

and how, in the name of all that's holy, should i revise for it? a friend from the year above said he spent most time on revising econ b yet got the lowest grade in it...

thanks a lot!
Reply 39

Original post by ohforgodssake
hiya! so just wondering, do we have to retake the whole year if we fail econ b please?

and how, in the name of all that's holy, should i revise for it? a friend from the year above said he spent most time on revising econ b yet got the lowest grade in it...

thanks a lot!

Try scrolling up.....

Quick Reply

Latest