The Student Room Group

Just spilt drink on my laptop!

Yep, just spilt a drink on my laptop, had to shut it down cuz everytime I clicked something or pressed a key it typed loads of keys at once, so I turned it off to try and dry the keys a bit, turned it back on again, and when I did, the screen didn't come on and loads of smoke came out bettween the WASD keys on the keyboard and smelt like something got fried!! Now when I turn it on nothing happens except the light at the bottom comes on, but then it goes off again!

HElp¬!¬
Reply 1
Errr...this should be in the Technology sub-forum...

...There will be people there who will be able to help you :-)
Reply 2
woa!
awesome dude!

(you got guarantee on it?)
Reply 3
I hope so, but even then won't I lose all the files on my hard-drive?? Can't fkin believe this has happened!
Reply 4
imasillynarb
Yep, just spilt a drink on my laptop, had to shut it down cuz everytime I clicked something or pressed a key it typed loads of keys at once, so I turned it off to try and dry the keys a bit, turned it back on again, and when I did, the screen didn't come on and loads of smoke came out bettween the WASD keys on the keyboard and smelt like something got fried!! Now when I turn it on nothing happens except the light at the bottom comes on, but then it goes off again!

HElp¬!¬

Smoke is usually a bad sign.

It won't be anything you can fix - you will have to take it to the shop or send it back for repair.
Reply 5
oooops
To rub it in, if you'd left it to dry ( and cleaned it properly ) before trying to turn it on again, it would have probably been alright.

oops :rolleyes:
Reply 7
sorry, go get it checked. Or let it dry off.
Reply 8
If I was you, the first thing I would do is remove the hard drive, and use another PC/laptop to backup all your files. Hopefully your hard drive will be fine, you probably just short circuited the main board. Assuming it was water(not something sticky like coke), I would just let it dry completely, and then RMA it with the manufacturer. If you tell them you split something on it, your screwed. They wont want to know you.

If all else fails claim on your house content insurance, and pay for someone to back up your files.
Reply 9
So that's why they tell us never to eat or drink in the ICT rooms...
why are you on it now?
Reply 11
Is it under guarantee !
gossip_girl
why are you on it now?

I think he's on a different computer.

Sorry about your laptop. :frown:
Reply 13
I'm almost positive the hard drive will be fine. After all, they are called "hard" because they are difficult to break and information is not usually lost.

However, the rest of your laptop is a different matter.
Reply 14
lol i dont think spilling a drink comes under a guarantee so u probley wont get it repaired. u shud of turned it straight off and let it dry for 4 weeks. seriously thats the actual time recommended 2 leave it dry.