The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Failing >1 module.

No idea if anyone will know this but w/e.

Obviously you're allowed to carry one fail to your second year; two and you have to retake. However, my friend told me that this could be negotiable, that there is a chance they'll let you after you've had the meeting to discuss w/e. Seems unlikely to me, anyone know if there's any truth in that?
Reply 1
If you do fail two modules you can always go and discuss it with your undergraduate tutor or something. However, you would certainly need a very very good reason to have failed two modules. I've never heard of anyone failing two and not having to retake the year but I doubt the LSE are completely inflexible.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
alisama
If you do fail two modules you can always go and discuss it with your undergraduate tutor or something. However, you would certainly need a very very good reason to have failed two modules. I've never heard of anyone failing two and not having to retake the year but I doubt the LSE are completely inflexible.

Do people fail because they doss around and don't do any work or because the work is actually very hard and can be difficult to pass?
Reply 3
Mr Kipling
Do people fail because they doss around and don't do any work or because the work is actually very hard and can be difficult to pass?

You can find the work very difficult but still pass if you actually do some work. People who fail just doss more than is sustainable.
Reply 4
alisama
You can find the work very difficult but still pass if you actually do some work. People who fail just doss more than is sustainable.

oh ok...What outside option did you take?
Reply 5
even EC102 is not too hard to fail. section A is so easy you should get 20/24 marks, thats already half way to not failing. as an example.

the uni doesnt want you to fail, they just want you to work. so yes if you fail, then in my opinion you should either not be at LSE or should have worked harder, again if you arent prepared to do the latter and arent so gifted that you can manage with a little work (i hate those people, lol) then the former applies to you.
Reply 6
Mr Kipling
oh ok...What outside option did you take?

ac100, i quite liked it!
Mr Kipling

If you have the grades to get to LSE you can manage the work. The number one reason for failing is dossing around (as I may find out to my cost in July!).
Reply 8
DannyBoy123
If you have the grades to get to LSE you can manage the work. The number one reason for failing is dossing around (as I may find out to my cost in July!).

You must have done some work though?

Or did you doss around all year?
Mr Kipling

Or did you doss around all year?

Pretty much :s

I am one of those people who can do very little work and still pull it off in the exam though. :tongue:
Reply 10
lol oh you're one of those people are you
DannyBoy123

I am one of those people who can do very little work and still pull it off in the exam though. :tongue:

If you're studying an Economics-related degree then I'd be very jealous.
DannyBoy123

I bet you do a doss essay-based subject. Nothing special - almost impossible to fail.
Easywellyes
I bet you do a doss essay-based subject. Nothing special - almost impossible to fail.

In the wise words of Dizzee Rascal...suk my dick. :yep:
Reply 14
For those of you interested, I took maths as an outside option (I do anthropology) as a contrast to an essay subject, and it's always been my strongest subject. I started it late however, there was no point going to the lectures until I'd caught up and would be able to understand what the hell they were talking about. Unfortunately that never happened and consequently I was left with two weeks before the exam to learn the entire course. Yep.

Then the introductory course to anthropology (the easiest module) I was lazy with and didn't turn up to a lot of the lectures...I still could have passed decently but I choked in the exam (mentally, that is), had a mini panic attack and had to leave early.

Quite simply: if you're smart enough to get in to LSE you're smart enough to pass. That's all you need to know.

Latest