The Student Room Group

How can I preserve my sketches?

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows how I can preserve my pencil drawings and sketches? I once read that you should use hairspray, but Google informs me that it damages the drawing rather than preserving it. :confused: I can't frame them as they're in a book. Are there any sprays or anything (cheap) which I can buy? Can anyone recommend anything?

P.S. I thought this forum would get more replies and wouldn't disappear, compared to the art forum (if there is an art forum), hence posting this in here.

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Absinth
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone knows how I can preserve my pencil drawings and sketches? I once read that you should use hairspray, but Google informs me that it damages the drawing rather than preserving it. :confused: I can't frame them as they're in a book. Are there any sprays or anything (cheap) which I can buy? Can anyone recommend anything?

P.S. I thought this forum would get more replies and wouldn't disappear, compared to the art forum (if there is an art forum), hence posting this in here.

Try fixative spray, but it usually costs more than normal hairspray. :smile:
Reply 2
Absinth

I'm not too sure but my brother often uses hairspray or some other kind of spray.
Reply 3
Yeah there is a fixative spray as mentioned above for pencil drawings. In my GCSE journals however, I used to stick a large piece of tracing paper on top of my drawings etc. And they have been fine since then :smile:
Absinth

Hair spray, any make. Seriously.
In Art, we used fixative.
It makes the sketch a wee bit darker, but it does the job. :smile:
Hairspray's always worked fine with me :dontknow: If you do it from a good distance, and only do it lightly, it shouldnt darken the sketch, or leave patches.

Otherwise for better quality there are plenty of spray fixatives available at art shops but the're obviously more pricey. And they smell bad.

And also, plastic sheets for small sketches can do the job, like in a portfolio type thing. But Id spray them too.
In my sketchbook I keep a layer of tissue over some sketches to stop them being buggered when I close it - works a treat, but I'll also throw in a recommendation for fixative like the others. I go for a biro mostly nowadays though, so there's not much of a problem.
Reply 8
laminate?
also take a photo as a backup
Reply 9
Thanks for your replies. I'm considering hairspray since all the fixative sprays seem to be really expensive. :eek: But I'm concerned because my sketch book paper is quite thin and not very good quality. Will it really matter? I can't put tissue between the pages as I would prefer to go around without the fear that they'll fall out etc.! I shall check this thread tomorrow. :sleep:
Reply 10
I use hairspray or fixative without noticeable differences between the two; both are better than a few hours spent carefully cross-hatching for a structural feel to place it in a pile and find the detail has been smudged.
Reply 11
Absinth

fixative and put tracing paper on topof them, i had this issue with some of my sketches, but i think there really should be a better method to do this,
Absinth
Thanks for your replies. I'm considering hairspray since all the fixative sprays seem to be really expensive. :eek: But I'm concerned because my sketch book paper is quite thin and not very good quality. Will it really matter? I can't put tissue between the pages as I would prefer to go around without the fear that they'll fall out etc.! I shall check this thread tomorrow. :sleep:

I'm positive if you spray 1 or 2 coats, your art work should still be fine. :smile: Just make sure you wait till the page is dry though, and don't move your sketchbook underwise it can leave trace marks. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Absinth

Tissue paper works well with fixative. It depends on what you want but investing in paper.
Reply 14
Absinth

Can't you create a sample to see if a method works?
Absinth

Just sellotape the tissue in so you can fold it away to see the sketch. Amazon is always worth a look for prices, just make sure you're not buying crap.
Try going over the lines with an eraser.

Aside from that, my art teacher used to spray some sort of fixing spray on my work. Didn't stop me from failing though.
Reply 17
Cheers everybody. I will try hairspray before using fixative, luckily I found some lurking in a drawer. :biggrin:
Reply 18
Copy them onto the inside walls of a cave system in France.
Reply 19
Why don't you scan them on to the internet . That way if your house gets burnt down or blown up by a nuclear you still have them online.

Latest