The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Athena
******* Jowett Walk, they've ****** up our hot water, turn on the shower and you get aerated explosions, turn on the hot tap and you get aerated explosions and dirty, rusty water :bawling:

At least you had some warning :tongue:
dinkymints
We'll be getting them too (alcohol gel) if it goes to pandemic. And yeah it's late enough in the term for them to close the uni down - and yes, that means exams would be cancelled...

*edit* update http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8094655.stm

Up to the VC now...

Would they actually close the uni down? I don't really know what institutional responses to pandemics tend to be...
Reply 2042
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Was this alcohol-induced, by any chance? :ninja:

It's always amusing to see how tutors act when given a drink or two (or more!). Others claim that my tutor morphs into Bacchus when in the bar :yep:

At least partially :tongue:
Deipnosophist123
Would they actually close the uni down? I don't really know what institutional responses to pandemics tend to be...

Apparently so - they had a meeting about it at the beginning of term and apparently if it was 7th week or later they would consider closing... although now I'm thinking I might be confused and if it was 7th or later they'd just hold out... doh.

Why have we not received one of those ridiculously accurately time-labelled email updates?
Reply 2044
The uni appears to have stepped up from Level 2 to Level 3 (orange flag to red flag: http://www.ox.ac.uk/flu/) at some point this afternoon, so an email is probably imminent.
Hooray for TERMLY RACISM SCANDAL
We nearly closed school this week - there was a boy in the junior school who had one of the Eton boys over for a sleepover... who then got swine flu. Whole family's been tested though and no signs of it, so school is open... just
argh, i hope they don't close the university down. my boyfriend just pointed out how inconvenient sitting mods in september would be.

is it actually likely? i can't see how the WHO changing the status directly affects us / its severity in oxford/shire
Reply 2048
tigrrmilk
argh, i hope they don't close the university down. my boyfriend just pointed out how inconvenient sitting mods in september would be.

is it actually likely? i can't see how the WHO changing the status directly affects us / its severity in oxford/shire

Surely it's just some stupid, arbitrary line in the sand?
cpchem
Surely it's just some stupid, arbitrary line in the sand?

yeah, exactly. it's just the label - it's not like it's suddenly really dangerous for us or something.
Athena
Cherwell or OxStu?

Cherwell online (not seen any printed papers yet), Mail, Telegraph
Reply 2051
2 5 +
Cherwell online (not seen any printed papers yet), Mail, Telegraph

Also the Indie.
cpchem
At least partially :tongue:

:biggrin:

Should be interesting to see what happens at my subject dinner on Weds. Last time I went for dinner with my tutors, lots of wine was involved and my hair was drunkenly molested :ninja:

:p:
I've officially cracked! At lunchtime I spent an hour staring at the ceiling and then had a suitably incoherent conversation with someone about how "It was raining....but it wasn't!" (In my defence - I'd been standing under the arch between a quad and the gardens....it was raining on the garden side but not in the quad so I was REALLY confused.)
Wheeeeee......so I'm going to bed early. Yay.
tarnishedpenny
I've officially cracked! At lunchtime I spent an hour staring at the ceiling and then had a suitably incoherent conversation with someone about how "It was raining....but it wasn't!" (In my defence - I'd been standing under the arch between a quad and the gardens....it was raining on the garden side but not in the quad so I was REALLY confused.)
Wheeeeee......so I'm going to bed early. Yay.

:frown:

Hopefully a good night's sleep will do you some good :hugs:
Reply 2055
dinkymints
Go to Aziz Pandesia down by Folly Bridge - it does both! Although the Thai is definitely better than the Indian...

I went there for lunch today, it was yummy. Didn't see any mention of Thai on the menu though.

I've completely had my head in the sand about this swine flu thing. Why did I assume it had gone away?
tigrrmilk

Three or four months of extra revision? Horrific.

(Note: I don't really consider a fancy gown more important than hundreds of people's lives.)
OMG finishing is weeeeird.
Reply 2058
Feefifofum
OMG finishing is weeeeird.

:yep:

It only began to sink in last night... it's scary!
I'm going to Cadbury World and the Sea Life Centre!!! :woo: It's no Kew Gardens, but I guess I'll live. But I forgot the batteries for my camera *sob*

Latest