The Student Room Group

Shia and Sunni Islam's major sins

Major Sins in Shi'a Islam
Shirk (Polytheism)
Yās (Deaspair)
Qunut (Despondence)
Al Amno Min Makrillah (Disregard of Allah (S.w.T.)’s punishment)
Murder
Āq al-Walidayn (Disobedience to parents)
Qat’a ar-Rahm (Abandoning relatives)
Usurping the Property of the Orphans
Usury
Fornication
Sodomy
Qa‍af (Wrongfully doubt the chastity of a Muslim)
Drinking Liquor
Gambling
Music
Singing

Lying
False Oath
False Testimony
Concealing Evidence

Major 70 Sins in Sunni Islam
Shirk
Murder
Practicing magic
Abandonment of prayer
Abandonment of Zakat
Breaking fast on a Day of Ramadan without excuse
Not performing Hajj, while capable of it
Ingratitude to parents
Abandonment of relatives
Fornication and Adultery
Sodomy
Taking interest
Wrongfully consuming the property of an orphan
Lying about Allah and His Messenger
Running away from the battlefield
A leader deceiving his people and being unjust to them
Pride and arrogance
Bearing false witness
Drinking wine
Gambling
Slandering chaste women
Stealing from the spoils of war
Stealing
Highway Robbery
Taking false oath
Oppression
Illegal gain
Consuming wealth acquired unlawfully
Committing suicide
Frequent lying
Judging unjustly
Giving and accepting bribes
Women imitating men and men imitating women
Being cuckolded
Marrying a divorced woman in order to make her lawful for the husband
Not cleaning oneself from urine
Showing off
Learning knowledge of the religion for the sake of this world and concealing that knowledge
Betrayal of trust
Recounting favors
Denying Allah's Decree
Spying on people's privacies
Carrying tales
Cursing
Breaking contracts
Believing in fortune-tellers and astrologers
A woman's bad conduct towards her husband
Begging
Lamenting, wailing, tearing the clothing, and doing other things of this sort when an affliction befalls
Treating others unjustly
Overbearing conduct toward the wife, the servant, the weak, and animals
Offending one's neighbor
Offending and abusing other Muslims
Offending people and having an arrogant attitude toward them
Trailing one's garment in pride
Men wearing silk or gold
Be in a business that deals with drugs, alcohol or swine flesh
Slaughtering an animal which has been dedicated to anyone other than Allah
To knowingly ascribe one's paternity to a father other than one's own
Arguing and disputing violently
Withholding excess water
Giving short weight or measure
Feeling secure from Allah's Plan
Offending Allah's righteous friends
Not praying in congregation but praying alone without an excuse
Persistently missing Friday Prayers without any excuse
Usurping the rights of the heir through bequests
Deceiving and plotting evil
Spying for the enemy of the Muslims
Cursing or insulting any of the Companions of Allah's Messenger

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_views_of_sin - Islamic views of sin Wikipedia
---------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what's your view on this?? Which one of these sins you find it unbelievable? Please highlight it..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sunnis know how to party eh ?
Reply 2
The point of this is?...
Oh by the way, question for someone, I am muslim but I have studied the history behind the sunnia-shia split and I just think the whole notion is so hypocritical considering the religion itself promotes equality of all followers and that they're united as one...yet there are two seperate groups who have slightly different beliefs and in many regions around the world it's caused war between the two :confused: how stupid, I hate when people make themselves out to be so religious yet in trying to be they manage to go against the core virtues of the religion itself.
Reply 3
I think most of them make sense though. Stuf you generally, morally, shouldnt do.

Biznatch
Oh by the way, question for someone, I am muslim but I have studied the history behind the sunnia-shia split and I just think the whole notion is so hypocritical considering the religion itself promotes equality of all followers and that they're united as one...yet there are two seperate groups who have slightly different beliefs and in many regions around the world it's caused war between the two :confused: how stupid, I hate when people make themselves out to be so religious yet in trying to be they manage to go against the core virtues of the religion itself.

Yes it is hypocritical, but the split came after the Prophet and the Qu'ran was written, distributed etc. So technically the split shouldn't really exist, it isn't what was really instructed of the muslims to do. Its almost impossible to be a perfect muslim nowadays.
Reply 4
sabka7
Its almost impossible to be a perfect muslim nowadays.

True:yep:
The idea of sin is pretty stupid, especially the Christian conception. The Islamic one makes more sense logically, but I think religion is pretty wacky anyway.
Reply 6
How do muslims define sin? just a question i was thinking about, not only for muslims but for all religions
Reply 7
Thanks for the reminder brother.
roots
Thanks for the reminder brother.

This...
Reply 9
yea, being a true muslim these days can get realy hard in general, am a sunni, n ive heard scholars say islam is a simple, less complicated relegion with easy rules and stuff, but when i actly see whats right and wrong the "wrongs" just keep goin on!....
Reply 10
Isn't Shirk like the onlyyy major sin? I know the rest are or can be considered really bad, but compared to Shirk? Because that's the only one that can't be forgiven?

I'm guessing the Sunni one has loads more sins because they have been derived from the Hadiths? Whereas the Shia sect don't place much as much emphasis on the last Prophet (pbuh)
Reply 11
Looks like I'm going to hell then or whatever the Islamic version of Hell is.
Reply 12
ajp100688
Looks like I'm going to hell then or whatever the Islamic version of Hell is.

its hell even in the islamic version, lol
Reply 13
U3S
yea, being a true muslim these days can get realy hard in general, am a sunni, n ive heard scholars say islam is a simple, less complicated relegion with easy rules and stuff, but when i actly see whats right and wrong the "wrongs" just keep goin on!....

I se what you mean bro but you need to look deeper.

Lets say that you pray 5 times a day and you are a good muslim. You would avoid these things without any effort. For example you wouldnt practise magic, murder, abandon zakat, you would want to perform Hajj, you wont drink wine or gamble or steal. And many of the other sins. These are things that you just wouldnt do .

Practising Islam protects you from these sins. We go wrong when we look at the sins one by one. Pray 5 times a day and be a good Muslim and you won't commit any of these sins. There is a reason why they are major sins.

Brother. Look at what you already dont do. Most of these sins, you wont go near anyway or be doing now.
Reply 14
roots

Lets say that you pray 5 times a day and you are a good muslim. You would avoid these things without any effort. For example you wouldnt practise magic, murder, abandon zakat, you would want to perform Hajj, you wont drink wine or gamble or steal. And many of the other sins. These are things that you just wouldnt do .

Practising Islam protects you from these sins. We go wrong when we look at the sins one by one. Pray 5 times a day and be a good Muslim and you won't commit any of these sins. There is a reason why they are major sins.

Brother. Look at what you already dont do. Most of these sins, you wont go near anyway or be doing now.

um am a sister by the way...n yea what you say is true, i pray five times a day, do majority of the stuff a muslim does, but there are so many other tiny things that arent realy explained well and is just not allowed, thers obviosly a reason behind everythn, but somtimes.... i just cant come up with anything. few days ago a gud friend of mine asked me why sceneries or plants are allowed to be kept to display, but not humans (photographs)? .. and he continued by saying that just like humans, plants are also living... he also asked me why we were allowed to display pics or ornaments of figures without eyes......i couldnt really answer these questions so i said i would study further and let him know....i could just go on with the different, little stuff that islam doesnt allow where in the present it may be neglected, and by neglecting, doing wrong and making us a "not so good" muslim.......:s
May Allah protect us and guide us.

One thing im not sure about is the 'giving short measure'. What exactly is that?. Has it got something to with business? i.e. giving the wrong amount in trading etc..
That's a high standard they have to meet, there
Reply 17
roots

You got good point there! [+ rep] from me :wink:
U3S
um am a sister by the way...n yea what you say is true, i pray five times a day, do majority of the stuff a muslim does, but there are so many other tiny things that arent realy explained well and is just not allowed, thers obviosly a reason behind everythn, but somtimes.... i just cant come up with anything. few days ago a gud friend of mine asked me why sceneries or plants are allowed to be kept to display, but not humans (photographs)? .. and he continued by saying that just like humans, plants are also living... he also asked me why we were allowed to display pics or ornaments of figures without eyes......i couldnt really answer these questions so i said i would study further and let him know....i could just go on with the different, little stuff that islam doesnt allow where in the present it may be neglected, and by neglecting, doing wrong and making us a "not so good" muslim.......:s

There is so much to Islam, and so many reasons behind everything and many a times it is unfortunately us who do not understand, but if we research doubts/questions as they arise, the answers are all there!
Taking the example of photos, have a read of this: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/26841
Plants are inanimate, thus the way I understand it, people are unlikely to idolise them etc. I hope that helps even if in a little way.
menaa-x
I'm guessing the Sunni one has loads more sins because they have been derived from the Hadiths? Whereas the Shia sect don't place much as much emphasis on the last Prophet (pbuh)

False.

Latest

Trending

Trending