The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pretty easy imo.

Although the 1st question was phrased in a really backwards manner.
Reply 2
frost3dbutts

Although the 1st question was phrased in a really backwards manner.

Yeh I totally agree, I didn't really know what they wanted! I just talked about all the threats and bad stuff that was happening in the Cairngorms, second homes and climate change etc. What did you talk about?
And which strategic objective did you do for the last question?
Reply 3
Thought it was great, pretty obvious questions :smile:
Yasmin14
Yeh I totally agree, I didn't really know what they wanted! I just talked about all the threats and bad stuff that was happening in the Cairngorms, second homes and climate change etc. What did you talk about?
And which strategic objective did you do for the last question?

Same things really, it was just asking what the threats were and why it was a national park, which I expected

I chose strategic objective 1 (talked about green tourism and participatory forestry programmes and all sorts then sand dunes fieldwork) and proposal 1
I thought it was really straightforward - couldnt have really asked for it any better!

First question (issues CNPA faced in managing the park) I made points on how theres a conflict of interests, like the Deer are destroying native forest, but can't simply be culled because they are a key part of tourism in the Cairngorms, thus if they were removed income would reduce and so would QOL.

Second question - brilliant, loved it - the big Cairngorms thread really helped with this.

Third question was strange, I did part 2 and did carrying capacity, transport links and suchlike with fieldwork techniques such as Environmental Quality, Attraction Potential, traffic counts etc.

Overall here's hoping I did ok!

@Expo - thats because its not the top thing on people's minds, especially if they have other exams!
I didn't really get what Question 1 required of us tbh, so I just blabbed on about the percentages of people enjoying certain features etc. and how these were being threatened, as well as the general incompatibility between environmental and economic development. I think I chose proposal 2 for question 2 but I can't remember why. :p: And question 3 was annoying.
I didn't find the questions that straight forward, but judging how everyone seems to have found it pretty easy.. I'm dreading the grade boundaries!!
Timing for me is a real issue, I just hope I've done okay!
Reply 8
Do you want me to write the actual questions on here? I have a copy of the paper. I thought it was a pretty reasonable paper - although, as ever, it would have been the timing, selection of relevant points and structure of your answers that will tell in the end.
Reply 9
Geogger
Do you want me to write the actual questions on here? I have a copy of the paper. I thought it was a pretty reasonable paper - although, as ever, it would have been the timing, selection of relevant points and structure of your answers that will tell in the end.

That would be great. I did the Galapagos exam in January, but I have the resource booklet for this one and would like to see if the questions were worse or better. :smile:
Reply 10
I'm not typing out the whole letter :eek: but the 3 questions were as follows (verbatim)

1. Assess the key issues facing the Park Authorities in managing both the environment and the quality of life for people living in the Cairngorms National Park. (20)

2. Evaluate the three proposals for the Glenshee Ski Resort are (page 17, Resource Booklet), justifying which would be your preferred choice (20 marks)

3. Choose one of the following National Park Strategic Objectives for 2007-12 (page 20, Resource Booklet) 1. Conserving and Enhancing the Park's Natural Environment 2. Meeting the Needs of those Living and Working in the Park 3. Helping Visitors to Enjoy and Understand the Park

Explain the strategies that you would use to achieve you chosen objective.

Outline a programme of fieldwork to monitor the impacts of your proposed strategies (Total 20 marks)

Reply 11
I think it was easier to score big marks on the Galapagos paper. The questions were more friendly, and the resources less complicated.

Glad I didn't have to resit :redface:
Reply 12
Geogger
I'm not typing out the whole letter :eek: but the 3 questions were as follows (verbatim)

1. Assess the key issues facing the Park Authorities in managing both the environment and the quality of life for people living in the Cairngorms National Park. (20)

2. Evaluate the three proposals for the Glenshee Ski Resort are (page 17, Resource Booklet), justifying which would be your preferred choice (20 marks)

3. Choose one of the following National Park Strategic Objectives for 2007-12 (page 20, Resource Booklet) 1. Conserving and Enhancing the Park's Natural Environment 2. Meeting the Needs of those Living and Working in the Park 3. Helping Visitors to Enjoy and Understand the Park

Explain the strategies that you would use to achieve you chosen objective.

Outline a programme of fieldwork to monitor the impacts of your proposed strategies (Total 20 marks)

Thanks for this Geogger :smile:
What did the first question really want? cos i just blabbed on about threats but i'm worried as i don't think I answered the question properly. and the last question I found really difficult, i did strategic objective 3 but ran out of things to say after 2 pages :frown:
What is the general mark for an A in this paper?
On question one I put Social, Environmental and economic problems that the CNPA faces and about how there are ways of managing them but by solving say, a social issue, they may negatively impact the environment - thus, making the CNP hard to manage.

I dunno if I answered it, but nevermind. No point in worrying until results day. I did proposal 1 for question 2, although I nearly fluttered to proposal 2. And I did strategic objective 2... just talked about locally run schemes, bottom-up development to create sustainable communities and sustainable environments (or something to that affect)..

Baaaaaaaaaah.
Reply 14
(Flavity)
Ah its over! So so so so glad, wheeeeeeeeerreees TOM! I expected him to be starting this thread - but he appears to have vanished! Get your arse in here mate!

I thought it was alright, loved the fact that it was just 3 questions! I chose proposal 1 and the third objective. Thought it went alright

Wooooo, no more geography for life!

Someone likes TOM!!!! :yes: :wink: :wink: :wink: :p: :biggrin:
Flavity
And also, Toms passionate about his geography, whats not to like haha! :p: :yes: :cool:

:lolwut: Does Not Compute!!!!! :p:
Reply 16
probably still in the pub.....
Flavity
Haha.. as long as he's passionate about something, its all good :p:

Edit: I wonder if Tom actually knows theres a mini-discussion going on about him haha..!

Edit 2: Where the hell are all the other contributors to the previous thread?!

I know, lol. I couldn't contribute because I was banned in the week leading up to the exam. But I was still lurking; peering over the posts like an inquisitive pidgeon. :ninja:
Some of us still have exams :p:

As for the paper, I thought it was ok. Question 2 was a gift, I wasn't quite sure what the focus of question 1 should have been, originally I thought it would just be the difficulties in managing particular issues but I then thought it was looking more for a something along the lines of balancing environmental needs with those of people.

I was also surprised about question 3 asking you to propose strategies. I didn't want to repeat what I'd written in question 2 about Glenshee and I didn't think there was enough time to delve in to other strategies when the focus of the question was on fieldwork. Tbh, I think it was a pretty poor question. They clearly decided they wanted a question on fieldwork, but not a full 20 mark question on fieldwork so they adapted it to include strategies, much of which you could already have covered in question 2. Wouldn't it have just been easier to have had a question based on structuring a fieldwork exercise on the impacts of your chosen proposal on Glenshee and the surrounding area? Plenty of stuff to discuss and minimal overlap.
Reply 19
I can't say that I was a fan to be honest :frown:

I thought question 1 was a bit awkward in what it required, but I put in everything I could think of to answer it, so I just hope that it was right. The second question was ok, but I just struggled for time with this one. I could have spent the whole two hours writing an answer to that one, but instead I felt I'd rushed a bit! And I really just didn't like the third question, because I couldn't decide how to write enough for 20 marks.

I just hope that I have done better than I think I have :|

But it's over with now, and I'm extremely thankful! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending