The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

shakerbaby
i've heard the line that Sheffield Uni is for clever people who can't be bothered to do work - how true is this? :rolleyes:
and what other stereotypes are there of the uni? just interested

Haha, yeah i stayed at an accomadation hall for Sheffield Uni students for a week a couple of years ago. Geeks by day, party animals throwing up in the halls by night :woo:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Battenberg
Haha, yeah i stayed at an accomadation hall for Sheffield Uni students for a week a couple of years ago. Geeks by day, party animals throwing up in the halls by night :woo:

I wouldnt say geeks by day though really, people do the work but they don't always take it dead seriously. It can be quite laidback here. I agree though lots of drinking etc - apparently shef union sells the largest quantities of alcohol way before any other in the country!
Definately says something I think...
Looks like I'll enjoy it, I'm a prime example of geek by day, party animal by night! I don't think I'm the regular stereotype though, I'm just a working class boy from a suburb of Manchester, I may be wrong though. :smile:
Reply 43
Sounds good to me! :biggrin:
Reply 44
Sheffield sterotypes do seem to be built around the music scene. Yes very much like Jarvis Cocker. :biggrin:

Also they're pretty cool people:smile: I'm hopefully going this year, although my open day seemed full of oxford and cambridge rejects! It seems to be for people who didn't quite make the cut into the real top universities. Having said that it does look pretty damn awesome.
rawshark
Sheffield sterotypes do seem to be built around the music scene. Yes very much like Jarvis Cocker. :biggrin:

Also they're pretty cool people:smile: I'm hopefully going this year, although my open day seemed full of oxford and cambridge rejects! It seems to be for people who didn't quite make the cut into the real top universities. Having said that it does look pretty damn awesome.

There are a few Oxbridge rejects, but often alot of the people here couldnt be bothered to apply to Oxford or Cambridge and chose Sheffs as the more laidback option.
Reply 46
rawshark

Sheffield is a 'real top' university in certain departments. Bit of a sweeping statement...
Reply 47
mollymustard
There are a few Oxbridge rejects, but often alot of the people here couldnt be bothered to apply to Oxford or Cambridge and chose Sheffs as the more laidback option.

That's pretty much why I applied here. Just looking at the course content, I felt that the pace of learning would be manageable. Turns out it was! I've had no trouble handing in work on time. First year provided a nice confidence boost.

I'd rather go to a laid back university, enjoy myself and leave with a 2.1/ 1st than go to a top 5 uni, kill myself for three years and leave with a 2.2/ 3rd.
Essence™
That's pretty much why I applied here. Just looking at the course content, I felt that the pace of learning would be manageable. Turns out it was! I've had no trouble handing in work on time. First year provided a nice confidence boost.

I'd rather go to a laid back university, enjoy myself and leave with a 2.1/ 1st than go to a top 5 uni, kill myself for three years and leave with a 2.2/ 3rd.

To be honest I know the workload for my course is quite high compared to quite alot of other Unis, definately wouldn't say its been easier than the experiences my mates describe having or anything.
Reply 49
Essence™

It may be a "laid back" university and you almost certainly will enjoy yourself, but you won't end up with a good degree with that attitude. You'll have to put just as much hard work in here as you would at any university in the country.
Reply 50
Well I've just about finished uni for good now so I think my opinion is pretty valid. I know for a fact that the workload at other unis can be much higher than here.

E.g. at oxford, some students are expected to hand in an essay every week. I could never do that. I've only had to write 5 essays here, but on the flipside, I've had about 30 exams. Another example, for maths, at some unis, they only spend about 2 weeks covering A-level material, whereas here they spent the entire first semester of first year covering A-level knowledge. I'm very grateful for that.
Reply 51
Yeah I've got a friend at Oxford. He has to do an essay a week, so it's pretty intensive in that respect, not necessarily more difficult though. He also has far fewer lectures and far fewer exams. Also their semesters are like 8 weeks long. It all evens out in the end.
Reply 52
Yeah, I mean at the end of the day, if you put the hours in, you'll get a decent grade. I just think it's more about working smart, not hard.
Essence™
Well I've just about finished uni for good now so I think my opinion is pretty valid. I know for a fact that the workload at other unis can be much higher than here.

E.g. at oxford, some students are expected to hand in an essay every week. I could never do that. I've only had to write 5 essays here, but on the flipside, I've had about 30 exams. Another example, for maths, at some unis, they only spend about 2 weeks covering A-level material, whereas here they spent the entire first semester of first year covering A-level knowledge. I'm very grateful for that.

Actually in alot of departments here the work load is higher than many Unis of a similar standard, its just that there are less contact hours so its more independant.
I certainly think Sheffield can be quite traditional in its ways.

I've handed in approx 15 essays already this year, where as I know people dont similar courses at other Unis who have done just 5 or 6 and have had less exams too...
Haha i fit the stereotype :smile: Good grades but applying to a stuffy academic uni didnt cross my mind
Chris12002
Haha i fit the stereotype :smile: Good grades but applying to a stuffy academic uni didnt cross my mind

My views exactly.

And hey, we're both from Manchester too. Must be something in the water! :biggrin:
Reply 56
Chris12002

I put Sheffield 1st, Manchester 2nd too.
Well, Sheffield and Leeds for me but effectively the same thing. :smile:
Reply 58
Obviously I'm not at Sheffield uni, so I can't really say, but I do live there. The nightlife's pretty good so I suppose that could be 'distracting' haha. It's a lovely place though; you should come here (Y)
Reply 59
Like with anywhere, you get your slackers and your very studious. I do find that there is a laid back atmosphere at Sheffield, which is a good thing as it takes the pressure off.

Most of the people I know work hard and party harder :smile:

Latest