The Student Room Group

number of typed pages = how many handwritten pages?

we've just changed history teacher for our A2 course, and he's abit erm old fashioned. He's asked for 6 pages (handwritten). How many is that typed? Is there a font and size I could use to translate?

Thanks in advance,
Ed
Reply 1
Depends how big your writing is, I suppose.
Reply 2
probably the easiest way to find out for your handwriting is to get a piece of your normal handwritten work on the paper you'd be using and count how many words there are on like the first five (non indented) lines so say you have an average of 12 words per line. Times that by the number of lines, probaby about 20-25 and you have how many words you write on a page.

Then highlight one page of text on any MSword piece of work (I'm guessing you have some saved) and see how many words it is, and compare. (word count in bottom left of screen on 2007, will be "highlighted/total")

Or you can change the font on screen to a size where you have those 12 words per line, then change the line spacing to get the same number of lines on a page as there are on a piece of paper.
Generally for me its one page of normal spaced size 11/12 to two pages written.
Reply 3
bubbles50
probably the easiest way to find out for your handwriting is to get a piece of your normal handwritten work on the paper you'd be using and count how many words there are on like the first five (non indented) lines so say you have an average of 12 words per line. Times that by the number of lines, probaby about 20-25 and you have how many words you write on a page.

Then highlight one page of text on any MSword piece of work (I'm guessing you have some saved) and see how many words it is, and compare. (word count in bottom left of screen on 2007, will be "highlighted/total")

Or you can change the font on screen to a size where you have those 12 words per line, then change the line spacing to get the same number of lines on a page as there are on a piece of paper.
Generally for me its one page of normal spaced size 11/12 to two pages written.

nice. why didnt i think of that? :eek3: rep added.
Reply 4
Why does it even matter when you have to write it out anyway?
Reply 5
Hylean
Why does it even matter when you have to write it out anyway?

I worked it out so I knew what to roughly aim for when handwriting.
I know you 'should' aim to just answer the question and not worry about length, but knowing how much you have written in comparison to what you intend to write is quite good for stopping you waffling and encourages me to keep it concise. also if you have a word limit it may help,

And edmhaslem, no problem lol :smile:
Reply 6
i'm typing it out and he can have a typed copy. i'm not doing it by hand aswell. i'll aim for 3/4 pages
Reply 7
bubbles50
I worked it out so I knew what to roughly aim for when handwriting.
I know you 'should' aim to just answer the question and not worry about length, but knowing how much you have written in comparison to what you intend to write is quite good for stopping you waffling and encourages me to keep it concise. also if you have a word limit it may help,

And edmhaslem, no problem lol :smile:

I wasn't getting at you, but the OP as the teacher has asked for 6 handwritten pages, so clearly knowing how much that is typed doesn't matter as it has no relevance to the question.

edmhaslam
i'm typing it out and he can have a typed copy. i'm not doing it by hand aswell. i'll aim for 3/4 pages

You also realise that besides losing points, at GCSE and A-level, those pieces of coursework that are required by your examination board have to be handwritten? So, not only do you lose potential marks by being lazy, as it's never a good sign if you can't answer the question in the format asked for, but you also run the risk of having to hand-write it anyway.
Reply 8
edmhaslam
we've just changed history teacher for our A2 course, and he's abit erm old fashioned. He's asked for 6 pages (handwritten). How many is that typed? Is there a font and size I could use to translate?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

writing times new roman size 12 is about 1 typed to 2 handwritted pages
Reply 9
Hylean
I wasn't getting at you, but the OP as the teacher has asked for 6 handwritten pages, so clearly knowing how much that is typed doesn't matter as it has no relevance to the question.

I didn't think you were getting at me, I just answered cos thought it was a general question lol =]
But fair enough you make a good point, it is a bit irrelevant lol.
Although I suppose they wanted to see if they were expected to write more or less than they usually would, but that's all... and with a plan and draft I suppose even that shouldn't be too difficult :smile:
edmhaslam

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Uh, if he asks for handwritten you give him handwritten, don't be a lazy ass. In some GCSEs it's a requirement for a percentage of the coursework to be handwritten in order to reduce plagiarism.
Reply 11
no one i know is doing it handwritten (apart from the one person who will do it at lunch before the lesson). its about time he got into the 21st century...
Reply 12
btw, its only an essay for homework - not coursework! calm down people! i can use a pen aswell!
I'd say about 3 for my handwriting vs font size. But as others have said, it will depend.
Reply 14
RightSaidJames
Uh, if he asks for handwritten you give him handwritten, don't be a lazy ass. In some GCSEs it's a requirement for a percentage of the coursework to be handwritten in order to reduce plagiarism.

Not that that second part works ofc. :frown:
Yes 14 or 12

Quick Reply

Latest