The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
tbh i'm not sure but surley it'll be worth it for all the extra money you'll get coming from a single parent household
Reply 2
Depends on the solicitor...
My parents are seperated and I never needed a letter from a solicitor.

In any case, as a solicitor has never been contacted by my pearents, it would mean that one or other of them would have to visit a solictor, who is probably a stranger to them, tell him they are seperated and then he writes a letter to tell the Student finance people that they are seperated, which is stupid.

Get your parent to write a letter saying that they are seperated but that they haven't begun divorce proceedings and don't have an official seperation agreement.
Reply 4
they won't accept that, it is too easy to do to blag more money!
Reply 5
Surely a copy of the Decree Nisi (if they're not properly divorced yet) should suffice?!
Alasdair
Surely a copy of the Decree Nisi (if they're not properly divorced yet) should suffice?!

So what do you suggest if, as in my case, my parents have been seperated for over 8 years, have no separation agreement and are not involved in any divorce proceedings?

In order to get a solicitor's letter my parent would have to go to the solicitor and say, I'm separated from my husband. He would then, without making any further investigations, have his secretary type out a letter saying that my parents are separated.

In what way is that a legal document? He has simply accepted my parent's version, even without any evidence. If the solicitor can accept it from my parent then why the hell can't the Student Finance company?

And for the record. I've spent the last five years at university and have never had to produce a solicitor's letter. The OP needs to ask to speak to someone else and explain the situation.
Reply 7
jinglepupskye
So what do you suggest if, as in my case, my parents have been seperated for over 8 years, have no separation agreement and are not involved in any divorce proceedings?

In order to get a solicitor's letter my parent would have to go to the solicitor and say, I'm separated from my husband. He would then, without making any further investigations, have his secretary type out a letter saying that my parents are separated.

In what way is that a legal document? He has simply accepted my parent's version, even without any evidence. If the solicitor can accept it from my parent then why the hell can't the Student Finance company?

And for the record. I've spent the last five years at university and have never had to produce a solicitor's letter. The OP needs to ask to speak to someone else and explain the situation.

did you apply for income assessed loans and what if any evidence did your parents produce?
My letter was free. Took a while to come though :frown:
Reply 9
jinglepupskye

God knows. Although to be fair, if your parents are seperated but not divorced or legally seperated, then I imagine Student Finance would be within their rights to assess you on both their incomes in the same way they do for parents who aren't seperated...
roubiliac
did you apply for income assessed loans and what if any evidence did your parents produce?

Yes.

My dad wasn't involved as I don't spend any time with him and he lives 80 miles away. My mum simply wrote a letter explaining the circumstances.

I have to say that Student Finance were completely happy with the explanation and letter and couldn't have been more helpful.
Alasdair
God knows. Although to be fair, if your parents are seperated but not divorced or legally seperated, then I imagine Student Finance would be within their rights to assess you on both their incomes in the same way they do for parents who aren't seperated...

What?

Even though for the past 6 or 7 years the only contact that I have had with my dad is a short, (2hours!), visit once a year at Christmas. And he usually comes on a Sunday when I am at work, so it is a conversation as I'm serving customers, or if I haven't had my break then I spend about half an hour with him before he goes to see my gran.
Alasdair

:confused: Hardly! Only in the same way as they would be 'within their rights' to assess a student on their parents income, when the student is estranged from their parents.
Reply 13
jinglepupskye
What?

Even though for the past 6 or 7 years the only contact that I have had with my dad is a short, (2hours!), visit once a year at Christmas. And he usually comes on a Sunday when I am at work, so it is a conversation as I'm serving customers, or if I haven't had my break then I spend about half an hour with him before he goes to see my gran.

So why don't your parents get divorced?!

I didn't say it was neccesarily right, but they would be reasonably within their rights...
Reply 14
PrincessRose5
:confused: Hardly! Only in the same way as they would be 'within their rights' to assess a student on their parents income, when the student is estranged from their parents.

That's slightly different, as there's no normal legal way of estranging yourself from your parents. Whereas if your parents split up, there's a normal, accepted way of denominating that - by getting divorced!
Reply 15
Alasdair has a point.
Alasdair
That's slightly different, as there's no normal legal way of estranging yourself from your parents. Whereas if your parents split up, there's a normal, accepted way of denominating that - by getting divorced!

There is clear evidence though, and it may not be a legal procedure but it is necessary of anyone in such a situation - living at a different address/having no contact with them/everyone in your life (teachers etc) knowing that you no longer have contact with them/their not receiving benefits for you (which is a legality).

Both these things are easily proven, and would be hard to fake with a little investigation on the SLC's part.
Alasdair
So why don't your parents get divorced?!

I didn't say it was neccesarily right, but they would be reasonably within their rights...

My dad won't pay for one! And my mum reckons she isn't going to make it easy for him to marry the *** by paying for one herself!
jinglepupskye
My dad won't pay for one! And my mum reckons she isn't going to make it easy for him to marry the *** by paying for one herself!

There's no reason they should have to get divorced!!!
Reply 19
PrincessRose5
There's no reason they should have to get divorced!!!

Well, marriage is essentially a financial contract between two people that incurs certain consequences (student finance implication, for one). If you don't want those consequences to occur any more, they should end the contract - ie, get divorced. Until they do, the implications of that contract continue...

Latest

Trending

Trending