The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

How good is Royal Holloway (RHUL)?

Ideally I'd like to get to UCL or KCL and am quite sure as far as grades go I'll be good enough (for physics course) but in case I don't get in I am looking at Royal Holloway as the alternative. I've heard it's really strong in Physics deparment but I do not know much about the univesity itself.
It seems like the only UoL university that has a massive campus with very free space, green fields around etc. which makes me think it would have a good unified student community. Most importantly, I'd really like to get involved in sports clubs/outdoor activities at university and those in London have their facilities all over various parts of London which are quite distant from the universities themselves but I've read that RHUL has many football/rugby/cricket grounds surrounding the main campus areas.

So I'd like to know if this really is the case with RHUL? Also, how respected is it both in the UK and internationally?
Basically what I'm trying to do is convince myself that RHUL is a good enough university to be the alternative to my dream unis UCL/KCL :unsure: so that if the time does come where I don't get in then I won't feel totally devestated and worthless that I'm going to a 'low' university so to speak. Unfortunately all my years I've spent so much time and focus on getting to know the top 10 universities that I've totally neglected the possibility of me not being able to get in and thus look for some good alternatives.
Appreciate all feedback, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone? :confused:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
whilst league tables arent everything, they can sometimes be useful.
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php
its definatly respectable 30th.
but if you want to stay in london its definatly the next best thing
Reply 3
Vegas Fever
Ideally I'd like to get to UCL or KCL and am quite sure as far as grades go I'll be good enough (for physics course) but in case I don't get in I am looking at Royal Holloway as the alternative. I've heard it's really strong in Physics deparment but I do not know much about the univesity itself.
It seems like the only UoL university that has a massive campus with very free space, green fields around etc. which makes me think it would have a good unified student community. Most importantly, I'd really like to get involved in sports clubs/outdoor activities at university and those in London have their facilities all over various parts of London which are quite distant from the universities themselves but I've read that RHUL has many football/rugby/cricket grounds surrounding the main campus areas.

So I'd like to know if this really is the case with RHUL? Also, how respected is it both in the UK and internationally?
Basically what I'm trying to do is convince myself that RHUL is a good enough university to be the alternative to my dream unis UCL/KCL :unsure: so that if the time does come where I don't get in then I won't feel totally devestated and worthless that I'm going to a 'low' university so to speak. Unfortunately all my years I've spent so much time and focus on getting to know the top 10 universities that I've totally neglected the possibility of me not being able to get in and thus look for some good alternatives.
Appreciate all feedback, thanks!

apparently RHUL is better than KCL and i got into both but i'd rather go to kings because it's more well known so might have a better chance at getting a job
i think definitly go for UCL and KCL, but when you fill out your UCAS form you have 5 chocies anyways so why not apply to all of them?
Reply 4
RHUL has nothing on UCL and KCL for resources, facilities and location.

Reputation wise - London holds up Royal Holloway; once the collegiate goes, it'll be a different story
It won't hold you back from 90% of the graduate jobs, so don't worry.
Reply 6
At the end of the day, you come out with a University of London degree - which will put you in a strong position the world over. And although it's not as well known as kings etc, it's actually very highly respected amongst academics. Most people would feel fortunate to go there, not 'devastated and worthless at going to a 'low' university' - although the entrance requirements are lower, the majority of people will have A's at A level. Sportswise, it's one of the best sporting colleges of the university of london. But at the end of the day, uni is what you make of it, and your chances of getting a job are dependent on what you do with your time there rather than where you go.
Reply 7
VL86
Most people would feel fortunate to go there

Speak to the non RHUL graduates who are currently postgrads there. I can guarantee you there is a high number of people feeling far from 'fortunate' to be there! :woo:
Reply 8
apotoftea
Speak to the non RHUL graduates who are currently postgrads there. I can guarantee you there is a high number of people feeling far from 'fortunate' to be there! :woo:

I know a good many non-RHUL grads there! If you feel unfortunate to have been accepted somewhere then perhaps the place isn't for you... Like I said, uni is what you make of it, undergrad or postgrad. My advice to OP for RH as with any uni would be to visit, get a feel for the place, and see what you think. If you're not 100% sure then use the visit to work out what you like and don't like and go from there. RH is not for everyone, but nowhere is. :smile:
Reply 9
VL86
I know a good many non-RHUL grads there! If you feel unfortunate to have been accepted somewhere then perhaps the place isn't for you...

It isn't about feeling fortunate to have been accepted; it's about feeling fortunate to study at a uni that treats its' students properly, provides decent resources, facilities, teaching and academic attitudes - which myself and a lot of my current friends do not believe we're getting.

That is the job of any university and RHUL is failings its Arts students (they're the ones with the biggest gripes) big time at the moment. When you're forking out £12 000 of your own money for a one year course, accommodation and expenses, you've got every right to be peeved when the service is crap.
Reply 10
apotoftea
It isn't about feeling fortunate to have been accepted; it's about feeling fortunate to study at a uni that treats its' students properly, provides decent resources, facilities, teaching and academic attitudes - which myself and a lot of my current friends do not believe we're getting.

That is the job of any university and RHUL is failings its Arts students (they're the ones with the biggest gripes) big time at the moment. When you're forking out £12 000 of your own money for a one year course, accommodation and expenses, you've got every right to be peeved when the service is crap.

Do they actually treat the science students differently?
Reply 11
I know it's an awful thing to judge by, but the grounds are gorgeous and airy. I would be very happy to spend 3 years there.
Reply 12
try QMUL similar requirements to RH and much better for physics.
RH is pretty sht TBH
Reply 13
Wow! I'm in that situation too! Cept I applied to do physics+ maths, and wanted to get into KCL/UCL for it. Got an offer ABB for straight physics at UCL bt I rejected that and my offer for kings is AAA with A in all 4 core maths modules :eek: chances of getting that? mmm...slim, but I still put King's as my first choice. Holloways my second and I'm still trying to console myself that it's not a 'low' uni. But it's pretty good for physics you know! I'm also stuck with no definite accomodation for RHUL now...damn :s-smilie:
I got in to UCL and still firmed RHUL, though that was for a number of reasons and your situation is probably different. UCL has a great reputation academically. However the gap between the two isn't the same as, say, UCL and London Met.

KCL definitely isn't in the same tier as UCL though. My friend was a fresher there this year and dropped out at the end of the year because he disliked the university so much. It sounds like there's a real attitude of "we're KCL so you should feel priviliged to be here, if you don't like it then tough ****."

Though bear in mind all three universities have pretty much the same student satisfaction rating. Remember that it's human nature for people to always bitch about where they're from, whether it's school, work, where they live or what country they grew up in. The grass is always greener, etc.

Also the UoL isn't going anywhere fast.
~style
Do they actually treat the science students differently?

Not treating students as such, but far more money is being plowed into the Sciences for resources and facilities. The merger with St. George's is only increasing this as well.

The Laughing Man
Remember that it's human nature for people to always bitch about where they're from, whether it's school, work, where they live or what country they grew up in. The grass is always greener

This is my point - non-RHUL grads have been on the other side and yes the grass can actually be greener!
Reply 16
They probably get BA research funding from the art subjects compared to the science ones. It's all about the almighty dollar/pound/etc...
Its no. 22 this year in The Independent Complete Guide. In the last few years it has been as high as no.12 in The Times, beating KCL.

It looks set for a return to the top 15 at least, as it is about to merge with St George's, University of London (a prestigous medical school in Tooting).

Consider also that it is in the 1994 group, along with Bath and St. Andrews. I dont think there are international recognition issues either as UoL is so sought after.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/small-but-perfectly-formed-to-compete-1676111.html
I think it depends on what you want to study. It's worth checking out league tables by subject rather than generally. I chose RHUL because it was #6 for French when I was applying (I am studying French and Italian) and its student satisfaction was higher for RHUL than for UCL.

Choosing a university just because it "sounds prestigious" sounds a bit silly in my opinion, as you should be looking at the facilities it provides, its research rating, the environment in which it's set, and other factors. I got into UCL but decided on RHUL because living in a greener, more peaceful environment would help reduce the stress (and cost) of university for me.
One of the main reasons I picked RH too was because it was #6 for French, I'm doing French and Spanish there this September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending