The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OMG i just served this woman in Primark today moaning about how slow and rubbish my service is and that she could do a better job.

Errm...can you see it's near closing time, i'm the only one on the damned till, the queue is huge, the managers don't want anyone else on there and everyone is spening over £80!

I felt like dragging her on the till and telling her to do it.
just_tha_bboy
OMG i just served this woman in Primark today moaning about how slow and rubbish my service is and that she could do a better job.

Errm...can you see it's near closing time, i'm the only one on the damned till, the queue is huge, the managers don't want anyone else on there and everyone is spening over £80!

I felt like dragging her on the till and telling her to do it.

OMG every time I go to Primark there's a massive queue... for a shop that cheap you got to expect it! Couldn't you call anyone to help you or were they all closing up? I always get embaressed doing that cause I think I look stressy, but our longest queues are like 5 people :eek: :wink:
manx1991
OMG every time I go to Primark there's a massive queue... for a shop that cheap you got to expect it! Couldn't you call anyone to help you or were they all closing up? I always get embaressed doing that cause I think I look stressy, but our longest queues are like 5 people :eek: :wink:

OMG you have it so easy! :eek:

I do, but what the managers say goes really. They tend to want more staff on the floor cleaning up than serving people for some stupid reason. Getting the customers the hell out of the shop for me is always the priority.

It ain't easy serving the worst of South Yorks, but I just get on with my job and work as fast as i can.
I don't get too many annoying customers where I am now but there's one guy who comes in every day and gets the same stuff. And every time, he says to me "bag please" when I am quite clearly already putting his stuff in the goddamn bag!? It's just a little thing but it pisses me off. Oh, and when people ask for directions and I explain them in very clear detail and then they say, "Ok. Well, thanks anyway!". Wtf?! I just told you everything you wanted to know! :mad:

I used to work in a garage though and was the only one there. This disabled lady used to come in to get petrol and ring the buzzer thing to get someone to come out and help her. Fair enough. But when she used to see it was me who'd come out to helpher, she'd look embarrassed and say, "Um... no, that's ok dear, you go back inside" said in THE most patronising voice ever! I hate people thinking I'm pathetic cos I'm small lol And another few guys used to come in every few days and give me a look, then say, "Is there a man about, love?". Omg, I dunno how I never screamed at them!!!!!
Teao the Cat
I haven't even had the traditional 'would if be possible to see some ID please?' followed by 'OMG, you must be joking! Can't you see that i'm like, nineteen!!!!!' But i'm sure I'll get plenty before the summer's out....

You've just jinxed yourself there. Just hope that's all you get, not someone throwing bottles at you.
Teao the Cat
I haven't had any annoying customers this summer, but then again, I have just finished my second day. I haven't even had the traditional 'would if be possible to see some ID please?' followed by 'OMG, you must be joking! Can't you see that i'm like, nineteen!!!!!' But i'm sure I'll get plenty before the summer's out....

The worst ones are the kids who are clearly 15/16, and try to convince you they're much older despite not having any ID.
I also used to get quite a few people asking if a debit card would be enough to prove their age...
emmie19
I'm still going there sometime =P Is it better then Primark?

alot of people say its more quality stuff at a cheap price

"marks and spencers at half the price"
hobo06
I'm back again, today hasn't been too bad. Besides the odd customer saying how hot and nice it is outside. I noticed how annoying customers can be to each other though. At the tills there is just enough room to get by with a trolley past someone standing at a till, yet those standing at the till pay no attention to this. Just leave their own trolley in the middle behind them so no one else can get past, and then give people dirty looks when they push their trolley out the way to get past. Then there's those that just walk off and leave the trolley, it really isn't that difficult to push it that little bit further back out into the foyer. And baskets. They just seem to get left everywhere in the store. Empty or full. Especially annoying at the tills, again, not a huge amount of space, do you see a pile of baskets on the floor? No. Pass it over to me, is it that difficult? Or they'll do quite the opposite, I'll have a bag ready to start packing into, and they just dump the basket on top of the bag. Or unload their trolley all the way across the top. I do need some space to pack.
Just remembered some guy the other day. I packed about 5 bags of his shopping, then he tells me he doesn't want the hangers. So I say 'right shall I just take the rest off then?' 'Yeh'. So I continue taking the rest of the hangers off as I pack, him just standing there watching. Then we come to the end, I pass the bags over to him. 'So are you going to take those ones off for me?' And continued watching as I unpack the rest of the bags, looking impatient. This made me make a point of taking my time. I couldn't help but say something as I handed the last bag over: 'You know you wouldn't be standing there waiting if you had asked at the beginning or even maybe helped'. All I got was dirty look as he walked away.

if they say take the hangers off in the middle I just take the hangers of what i havnt done, unless they specifically tell me.

another thing is the looks you get off the people waiting in the cue, its like they want to murder you :woo: epsecially when you wlk off to get a matalan number from the computer.

there are lots of times when problems happen, never a transaction goes by where something goes wrong, they are running the tills and everything into the ground. I dont know when theyre gunna replace the stuff.

we have a prblem with the air con, today was one of the hottest days ever and it would be twice as hot inside the store, good job I wasnt working there today at matalan...
TheSophist
if they say take the hangers off in the middle I just take the hangers of what i havnt done, unless they specifically tell me.

another thing is the looks you get off the people waiting in the cue, its like they want to murder you :woo:

we have a prblem with the air con, today was one of the hottest days ever and it would be twice as hot inside the store, good job I wasnt working there today at matalan...

I work in ladies upstairs and out air con doesn't work which isn't helped by the fact that heat rises. It's a bloody joke having to wear all black uniform - what I would give to be able to wear formal, black shorts! I thought I was going to die of heatstroke on Saturday.
Reply 169
I work on the seafront in Cleethorpes and oh dear the amount of awful tourists we get, so rude its unbelievable! We have feelings too people!
satza900
I work on the seafront in Cleethorpes and oh dear the amount of awful tourists we get, so rude its unbelievable! We have feelings too people!

My god how i feel sorry for you! The tourists that you get in Cleethorpes are absolutely awful! A lot of chavs from Doncaster go on holiday there.

Also Grimsby is one of the most grim places i have ever visited (no pun intended folks :p:)
I work in IT and you always get a pleb who decides they don't want to use a computer, so call IT Services and Go... "I want to print, but it's not letting me" No dear, you need to tell it what you want it to do, it can't read your mind.

So yes annoying customers/clients are very annoying... I'm quite lucky though and get First Class travel... Which has it's benefits if all you get is "It's Broke" "I Hate You" "Is it working yet" or you go to leave... "Oh could you just look at..." and your still there 4 hours later...! In a day :smile:
Reply 172
scaryhair
I work in ladies upstairs and out air con doesn't work which isn't helped by the fact that heat rises. It's a bloody joke having to wear all black uniform - what I would give to be able to wear formal, black shorts! I thought I was going to die of heatstroke on Saturday.

TheSophist

another thing is the looks you get off the people waiting in the cue, its like they want to murder you :woo: epsecially when you wlk off to get a matalan number from the computer.

there are lots of times when problems happen, never a transaction goes by where something goes wrong, they are running the tills and everything into the ground. I dont know when theyre gunna replace the stuff.

Air con? Pfft what's that? All we have is big fans on the roof blowing warm air into the building. Actually I lie, there is an air con unit in the staff room and in the Admin office. Of course, only the one in the Admin office works :rolleyes:
Do either of you have the new uniform? Is it a bit better in the heat because of the material? I was given the new one months ago, wore it once and it's now in the back of my wardrobe. Got away with it for so long but the admin manager made me order a new one again the other week. Yey soon I can look even more of a tit in my stripey t-shirt.

Chip and Pin machines are our main problem at the moment, keeps asking us to call up the BMS thing to authorise card payments. Keep having to reset something or other, which fixes them for a day or so, then it does it again. Though we have discovered the same authorisation code will work more than once, so we have one code written on every till to use.
We had a tech guy in the other day fixing whatever other problems we have with the tills, and he mentioned something about new chip and pin systems, and a rumour within the company about whole new till systems. If it's true, then about bloody time!
Reply 173
LouLou815
The worst ones are the kids who are clearly 15/16, and try to convince you they're much older despite not having any ID.
I also used to get quite a few people asking if a debit card would be enough to prove their age...

My friend tried that once (the debit card thing), it was a music festival and we were dying for it. Can't blame us for trying, can you? It was only a corner shop
Reply 174
hobo06
I'm back again, today hasn't been too bad. Besides the odd customer saying how hot and nice it is outside. I noticed how annoying customers can be to each other though. At the tills there is just enough room to get by with a trolley past someone standing at a till, yet those standing at the till pay no attention to this. Just leave their own trolley in the middle behind them so no one else can get past, and then give people dirty looks when they push their trolley out the way to get past. Then there's those that just walk off and leave the trolley, it really isn't that difficult to push it that little bit further back out into the foyer. And baskets. They just seem to get left everywhere in the store. Empty or full. Especially annoying at the tills, again, not a huge amount of space, do you see a pile of baskets on the floor? No. Pass it over to me, is it that difficult? Or they'll do quite the opposite, I'll have a bag ready to start packing into, and they just dump the basket on top of the bag. Or unload their trolley all the way across the top. I do need some space to pack.
Just remembered some guy the other day. I packed about 5 bags of his shopping, then he tells me he doesn't want the hangers. So I say 'right shall I just take the rest off then?' 'Yeh'. So I continue taking the rest of the hangers off as I pack, him just standing there watching. Then we come to the end, I pass the bags over to him. 'So are you going to take those ones off for me?' And continued watching as I unpack the rest of the bags, looking impatient. This made me make a point of taking my time. I couldn't help but say something as I handed the last bag over: 'You know you wouldn't be standing there waiting if you had asked at the beginning or even maybe helped'. All I got was dirty look as he walked away.

You must reaaaallllllyyy hate all customers, you've posted on this thread like 50 gazillion times. Nice stories though.
hobo06
Air con? Pfft what's that? All we have is big fans on the roof blowing warm air into the building. Actually I lie, there is an air con unit in the staff room and in the Admin office. Of course, only the one in the Admin office works :rolleyes:
Do either of you have the new uniform? Is it a bit better in the heat because of the material? I was given the new one months ago, wore it once and it's now in the back of my wardrobe. Got away with it for so long but the admin manager made me order a new one again the other week. Yey soon I can look even more of a tit in my stripey t-shirt.

Chip and Pin machines are our main problem at the moment, keeps asking us to call up the BMS thing to authorise card payments. Keep having to reset something or other, which fixes them for a day or so, then it does it again. Though we have discovered the same authorisation code will work more than once, so we have one code written on every till to use.
We had a tech guy in the other day fixing whatever other problems we have with the tills, and he mentioned something about new chip and pin systems, and a rumour within the company about whole new till systems. If it's true, then about bloody time!

Well air con doesn't work upstairs and we don't have fans either :frown: I don't have the new uniform, and I'm not going to start asking for it because it looks disgusting. Other people have got it in my store, but then again I've been working there two years and they still haven't managed to get me a name badge with my name on it (I just have a blank one) but they get new staff badges within weeks!
Yeah we had that chip and pin problem a few weeks back, and we did the same with the authorisation code :p:
Reply 176
J_Hunter
You must reaaaallllllyyy hate all customers, you've posted on this thread like 50 gazillion times. Nice stories though.

Yes, customers are the scum of the Earth! Haha no, I just work a lot of hours, and have worked there for nearly 4 years so I have experienced many annoying customers.There are many nice customers though, those that are understanding when there's queue, and you can have a chat and a laugh with whilst serving them. And it's great when people appreciate what you do, like going to look for something in the stockroom (it's surprising how many people look down on us and think they have some sort of authority over us, and expect us to know everything that's in the stockroom off the top of our head).

scaryhair
Well air con doesn't work upstairs and we don't have fans either :frown: I don't have the new uniform, and I'm not going to start asking for it because it looks disgusting. Other people have got it in my store, but then again I've been working there two years and they still haven't managed to get me a name badge with my name on it (I just have a blank one) but they get new staff badges within weeks!
Yeah we had that chip and pin problem a few weeks back, and we did the same with the authorisation code :p:

My brother started working there a few weeks ago, I really wouldn't be surprised if his uniform shows up long before mine, despite me ordering it several weeks before. Of course, I won't be complaining though. They'll probably just end up making me fill out another form in a few months.
J_Hunter
My friend tried that once (the debit card thing), it was a music festival and we were dying for it. Can't blame us for trying, can you? It was only a corner shop

It's annoying, because there's no way i'm going to accept it as ID. If I did and was caught, it'd be me who had to pay for it. It's even more annoying when you get a torrent of abuse for not accepting it either...
Reply 178
LouLou815
It's annoying, because there's no way i'm going to accept it as ID. If I did and was caught, it'd be me who had to pay for it. It's even more annoying when you get a torrent of abuse for not accepting it either...

We were cool about it, weren't really expecting to get any. It was worth a try though. This shop is renowned to selling alcohol to people underage too.
"Do I need to pay by card to have cashback?"
"Do I need to buy something to have cashback?"

I still don't understand this obsession people have with cashback. Perhaps it's some kind of safety fear. There is such thing as a cash machine that operates all hours of the day and night, but either they haven't met it yet or they just prefer to queue for the opportunity to patronise a cashier.

Latest