The Student Room Group

The Harry Potter Society III

Scroll to see replies

Magickal_Faerie
I need a solution to some quick air conditioning please! Anyone? Charm or potion will do. Heck, I'll even go dark magic, I am that hot :frown:

Lure a dementor into your room with promise of your soul - then keep him in the corner with a patronus whip (don't make it a corporeal patronus as that would make the dementor bugger off and you'd be hot again).

Done. :cute:
:rofl: :biggrin:

Vicky - I'll add you this evening when I'm back from school and quite so sleepy (hopefully....)
Reply 262
Gryffindor all zee waay :woo:

Who's ready for the 6th movie? It promises to be the best one! I didn't really like the 5th one. The 3rd was exciting what with all its darkness, Sirius, dementors, time-turners and what-not. The half-blood prince shall be thrilling, yet sad. At least, near the end. :sad:
NCIShippo
Hey, new soc member, but very old HP fan!

And just to contribute to discussion/soc:

Before LV commited any murders, he had one complete soul. So, when he killed for the first time, how did his soul know in what proportion to split? It would have split in half, because it (the soul) would not have know that LV was to create more murders, thus spliting the soul even more.There would now be half of the soul in the diary, and half in LV's body.

So when LV killed a secound time, he would have had to have split the half piece of soul that was in his body in half leaving the second horcrux with a quarter piece of soul, and LV's body with a quater. This would keep going for all the horcruxes that he made, and with each one, LV would have less and less soul remaining in his body. This would explain why he looked less and less like a human over the years - as was said in one of the earlier books.

Therefore, the first horcrux was more powerful than the second, the second more so than the third, and so on, until you get down to the piece that was in his body - which would now be the smallest part. So was his soul really different strengths?

Therefore when the diary possessed Ginny in CoS, she was being possessed by the strongest piece of LV's soul that was alive. And the second horocrux the ring (I think) would be the next strongest, and so on.

I think it went: Tom Riddle's Diary, Ring (aka The Resurection Stone), Slytherin's Locket, Huffelpuff's Cup, Ravenclaw's Diadem, Harry Potter, Nagini the snake, then LV himself.

This means that as the horcruxes are varing in strength, then some will be harder to kill than others. Is this why DD went after the ring first, then the locket? Because these would be the hardest to destroy as they had the highest proportion of soul left in them. Presuming they were created in that order. I think they must have been.

If you have read this and understood what I'm getting at, then well done - you are probably in the minority.

Does this mean the books have a huge flaw in them? :eek:

totally understand :biggrin:
coming up with that was clever....
Magickal_Faerie
oooooooooooooo new members!!! :teeth:

But no hufflepuffians :sad:

Everyone wants gryffindor, hufflepuff is very under-represented :puppyeyes:

i'm a hufflepuff...

:smile:
Hunnii
Gryffindor all zee waay :woo:

Who's ready for the 6th movie? It promises to be the best one! I didn't really like the 5th one. The 3rd was exciting what with all its darkness, Sirius, dementors, time-turners and what-not. The half-blood prince shall be thrilling, yet sad. At least, near the end. :sad:

Favourite film so far: Order of the phoenix

Favourite Book: Goblet of Fire.

I'm definitely watching the 6th movie.
Kagutsuchi
Favourite film so far: Order of the phoenix

Favourite Book: Goblet of Fire.

I'm definitely watching the 6th movie.

Did you really like OotP? That film had some good bits but it was so chopped of and the good scenes were either missing or ruined :hmmm:
frederizia
Did you really like OotP? That film had some good bits but it was so chopped of and the good scenes were either missing or ruined :hmmm:

The battle at the ministry really clinched it for me. :drool:

it was quite well done imo.
Kagutsuchi
The battle at the ministry really clinched it for me. :drool:

it was quite well done imo.

I liked some Umbridge bits the most, I thought they did a good job at including the different Educational Decrees while not making it too long. Dunno about the Ministry tbh, I haven't watched it in a while. I just absolutely hate Dumbledore in that film and the way they showed Harry's and Dumbledore's big talk at the end. Awful. That really ruins it for me.

I just watched the trailer again though, and I'll admit the trailer was really good. It's just the beginnning and the ending of the film that I don't like. I'll watch it again some time soon...
Hehe, the films coming out on my birthday...Guess what I'm going to be doing xD
Sephrenia
Hehe, the films coming out on my birthday...Guess what I'm going to be doing xD

You should go dressed as Hermione. :yes: You'd be uber coolish. ^.^

frederizia
I liked some Umbridge bits the most, I thought they did a good job at including the different Educational Decrees while not making it too long. Dunno about the Ministry tbh, I haven't watched it in a while. I just absolutely hate Dumbledore in that film and the way they showed Harry's and Dumbledore's big talk at the end. Awful. That really ruins it for me.

I just watched the trailer again though, and I'll admit the trailer was really good. It's just the beginnning and the ending of the film that I don't like. I'll watch it again some time soon...

There's almost always a big talk at the end with Dumbledore. :dontknow:

I thought it was nice they included that. :yep:
Kagutsuchi

There's almost always a big talk at the end with Dumbledore. :dontknow:

I thought it was nice they included that. :yep:

No, what I mean is that in the book, that scene is filled with so much emotion and it's so important and powerful. In the film, that does not come across at all :no:
I'm watching OotP right now and oh my, I hate the opening scene :hmmm: And Mrs. Figg wasn't nearly angry enough. So unsatisfying to start the film off that way...
Reply 273
frederizia
No, what I mean is that in the book, that scene is filled with so much emotion and it's so important and powerful. In the film, that does not come across at all
In the film, it's not there at all. It's just Harry saying "so, one of us is going to have to kill the other, right," and Dumbledore saying "yep."
Reply 274
NCIShippo
Hey, new soc member, but very old HP fan!

I'd like to go in:

... as I have been sorted into this house by lots of quizzes (yes I used to have free time! )!

To Study (can I do this many? Time Turner may be required - lol):

DADA - would be amazing
Transfiguration - ummm interesting
Herbology - enjoy science based subjects
Arithmancy - enjoys maths
Potions - yay
Astronomy
Charms
Ancient Runes - since I am rubbish at normal languages, I'd like to hope I would be able to at least get an A (acceptable)!
Care of Magical Creatures - I love dragons

And just to contribute to discussion/soc:

Before LV commited any murders, he had one complete soul. So, when he killed for the first time, how did his soul know in what proportion to split? It would have split in half, because it (the soul) would not have know that LV was to create more murders, thus spliting the soul even more.There would now be half of the soul in the diary, and half in LV's body.

So when LV killed a secound time, he would have had to have split the half piece of soul that was in his body in half leaving the second horcrux with a quarter piece of soul, and LV's body with a quater. This would keep going for all the horcruxes that he made, and with each one, LV would have less and less soul remaining in his body. This would explain why he looked less and less like a human over the years - as was said in one of the earlier books.

Therefore, the first horcrux was more powerful than the second, the second more so than the third, and so on, until you get down to the piece that was in his body - which would now be the smallest part. So was his soul really different strengths?

Therefore when the diary possessed Ginny in CoS, she was being possessed by the strongest piece of LV's soul that was alive. And the second horocrux the ring (I think) would be the next strongest, and so on.

I think it went: Tom Riddle's Diary, Ring (aka The Resurection Stone), Slytherin's Locket, Huffelpuff's Cup, Ravenclaw's Diadem, Harry Potter, Nagini the snake, then LV himself.

This means that as the horcruxes are varing in strength, then some will be harder to kill than others. Is this why DD went after the ring first, then the locket? Because these would be the hardest to destroy as they had the highest proportion of soul left in them. Presuming they were created in that order. I think they must have been.

If you have read this and understood what I'm getting at, then well done - you are probably in the minority.

Does this mean the books have a huge flaw in them?
Welcome! I see you're doing a couple of the same subjects as me.

About what you said of Horcruxes: a Horcrux does not contain a diluted strength of soul, a measurable quantity - the soul is broken, and that is why the person's soul is weaker than if it wasn't broken. When the soul is broken repeatedly, like Tom Riddle's, it will be almost nothing. It's hard to describe what I mean... the soul is immaterial, meaning that a person cannot have a larger segment of it in them than is in his Horcrux (or each of his Horcruxes).

And NCIS... well...

Spoiler

Tootles
Welcome! I see you're doing a couple of the same subjects as me.

About what you said of Horcruxes: a Horcrux does not contain a diluted strength of soul, a measurable quantity - the soul is broken, and that is why the person's soul is weaker than if it wasn't broken. When the soul is broken repeatedly, like Tom Riddle's, it will be almost nothing. It's hard to describe what I mean... the soul is immaterial, meaning that a person cannot have a larger segment of it in them than is in his Horcrux (or each of his Horcruxes).

And NCIS... well...

Spoiler

:woo: NCIS (*will not boycott thread*)

Did people laugh at how wet the red carpet was on Tuesday? Mini flood.

Can't wait for the film, though am annoyed that DD funeral is going to be missed out :mad:
Tootles
In the film, it's not there at all. It's just Harry saying "so, one of us is going to have to kill the other, right," and Dumbledore saying "yep."

Exactly. Such a let down.

I'm (hopefully) seeing the film next Friday :woo: And I'll see it in English, too because my sister agreed to come with me.
Reply 277
frederizia
Exactly. Such a let down.

I'm (hopefully) seeing the film next Friday And I'll see it in English, too because my sister agreed to come with me.
Cool.

I don't even know when I'm going to see it....
Tootles
Cool.

I don't even know when I'm going to see it....

I dont either. I think I'll just have to wait until the hype dies down. It isn't like they can ruin the plot or anything, because I've already read it! I'll only end up picking holes in it, like i did for all of the others! :p:

I want to see My Sisters' Keeper first though. Amazing book, I hope the film does it justice!
Reply 279
Magickal_Faerie
I dont either. I think I'll just have to wait until the hype dies down. It isn't like they can ruin the plot or anything, because I've already read it! I'll only end up picking holes in it, like i did for all of the others!

I want to see My Sisters' Keeper first though. Amazing book, I hope the film does it justice!
Yeah, mum and I normally spend a week doing a post mortem on it after we see it. Dad and Piers (little brother) hate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending