The Student Room Group

The Official "Oh NOES MY UKCAT SCORE SUCKS" the end is nigh Thread

Mod edit: Please note that this post was written in 2009 and hence some of the information is likely to be out of date. For the most up to date information about the UKCAT please see here.

First up, don't worry. If you have a below average UKCAT score, there are still institutions that will take you. Yes, even the ones that use the UKCAT.

EDIT: By bad I mean anything between 599 - 500.

So your options are:

1) Non-UKCAT Universities:

- Which include BMAT Uni's:

UCL

Imperial

Oxbridge

-Non-Aptitude Test Unis:

Birmingham (7A* Min needed)

Liverpool

Apparently Bristol (if this is wrong, hang Degauser for me)

2) UKCAT Unis:

Now, with this one, you have to search for uni's that don't put an emphasis on the UKCAT.

Keele (Need 4 A's in GCSE)

Aberdeen (8% weighting)

St. Andrews

St. Georges (Interview stage is tough, loads of competition)

Dundee

Southampton (SOTON)

UEA

Cardiff [Used to differentiate between similar candidates]

Some other ones. Hopefully the others will fill me in.

Apparently, Hull & York

!MEna
Add Leicester to the list. A subset score in the 500's scores 3/5 in their UKCAT criteria when they shortlist applicants for an interview. Scoring an overall of 16/20 in the UKCAT, personal statement, reference and academia categories will get you an interview.

Unis to Avoid:

Kings (Unless you have 10A*)

Brighton and Sussex Medical School [Read Exerpt Below regarding BSMS]

Barts and London

Sheffield (Need about 660 to possibly 670 to pass the cut-off)

Manchester

Some other ones.

Note Regarding Brighton and Sussex Medical School

Spoiler

Notable Mentions: I know Newcastle seems to be a popular choice for a lot of you. I think I should mention that Newcastle scores the UKCAT as part of their criteria for an interview. The score is given after ranking your UKCAT score compared to their other candidates.

This year a candidate got an offer with 610 in the UKCAT at Newcastle.

So all in all, if you get poor UKCAT grades its not the end of the world. It just means you might have to change your plans around a bit.

EDIT 3: Love you guys/gals who repped me. :love:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
-Non-Aptitude Test Unis:
Liverpool
Bristol :p:
Reply 2
Degausser
-Non-Aptitude Test Unis:
Liverpool
Bristol :p:

you sure its Bristol?
Reply 3
So if I have a GOOD UKCAT then I should go for the ones you said to avoid with the poor UKCAT?

Brighton and Sussex Medical School
Barts and London
Newcastle
Some other ones.

I find that quite good...:smile:

I would love to get into King's or Barts.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Baki
you sure its Bristol?

Yes,

Brum, Liv and Bristol do not require the UKCAT!

Edit: This does not mean they will be easier to get in! If anything it will be harder...
Reply 5
St Andrews use UKCAT as 10% of decision, which isn't that much really.
Reply 6
*Examboy*
So if I have a GOOD UKCAT then I should go for the ones you said to avoid with the poor UKCAT?

Brighton and Sussex Medical School
Barts and London
Newcastle
Some other ones.

I find that quite good...:smile:

I would love to get into King's or Barts.

Spoiler

:rofl: Dentistry :rofl:

Ahem..Yeah. Apply to those ones. But be warned, Kings uses A* + UKCAT to shortlist for interview. Newcastle ranks people using UKCAT score.

You might want to apply to SOTON as well.

Leceister takes your lowest UKCAT section and ranks individuals that way (thats how you get a score for UKCAT(out of 5). But to get an interview you need a certain value out of 20, so this includes PS etc..)
Reply 7
Baki
:rofl: Dentistry :rofl:

Ahem..Yeah. Apply to those ones. But be warned, Kings uses A* + UKCAT to shortlist for interview. Newcastle ranks people using UKCAT score.

You might want to apply to SOTON as well.

Leceister takes your lowest UKCAT section and ranks individuals that way (thats how you get a score for UKCAT(out of 5). But to get an interview you need a certain value out of 20, so this includes PS etc..)

What exactly is wrong with Dentistry?...:confused:

And does King's specify how many A*'s they want or what ever or have some kind of points system?
Reply 8
*Examboy*
What exactly is wrong with Dentistry?...:confused:

And does King's specify how many A*'s they want or what ever or have some kind of points system?

Nothing. I was just playing on the cliche of how dentist aren't real doctors blah blah...I guess you didn't get the joke.

Umm back to Kings, no they don't specify anything. To be honest, this is just based on this years application experience.
Is the 10A* thing for King's just an arbitary figure, or is there some sort of cut-off for interview selection?
Reply 10
dersire3
LOL dont think i didnt read what you wrote before editing your post you nasty

Get your trollin' ass out of here.

Kthnx Bye.

Ignoramus
Is the 10A* thing for King's just an arbitary figure, or is there some sort of cut-off for interview selection?

Not from Kings, but from my experience.

If you get a bad UKCAT score (Like 540) don't apply unless you have 10A*. This is because I know someone who got an interview with about those grades.
*Examboy*

Not necessarily, it just means that you have more options available to you.
Reply 12
jonnyofengland
Not necessarily, it just means that you have more options available to you.

Don't listen to Johnny :awesome:

Apply to the ones with a strong emphasis since there will be less people to compete with at the interview stage. <3
Baki you are super cool for making this thread.

Now i have somewhere to moan and whinge in a months time.

<3 :biggrin:
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.

Woot I shall do the same; let's form a club of people who are just bad at the UKCAT!
Reply 15
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.

Show this appreciation through presents and rep pleae.

Kthnx.

cruciform
748 would be cool

Yes it would be, and the guy who posted that score probably doesn't even have that.
Baki

Apply to the ones with a strong emphasis since there will be less people to compete with at the interview stage. <3

Well thats a load of ********. That just means everyone with a strong UKCAT will apply there meaning increased competition (theoretically).

Apply where you fit the profile AND where you really want to go. Just base your choice because of flawed logic in getting an offer.
Baki

Nonsense. If someone really likes the course structures of, say, Oxford or Keele, then they shouldn't not apply there simply because they got a good UKCAT score.

Similarly, you shouldn't apply to Barts if you hate the course just because you might get in.
Reply 18
Degausser
Well thats a load of ********. That just means everyone with a strong UKCAT will apply there meaning increased competition (theoretically).

Apply where you fit the profile AND where you really want to go. Just base your choice because of flawed logic in getting an offer.

Don't listen to Degausser because he agrees with Johhnny. :awesome: <3

The strong UKCAT ones like Kings, Barts, Newcastle always get a load of people who aren't informed/want to go there badly applying to them with low UKCAT scores. Because of this you end up with less people at the interview stage.

Although don't take my word for it, do some damn research. Thats lesson number 2 for your kids, don't take peoples word for it.

jonnyofengland
Nonsense. If someone really likes the course structures of, say, Oxford or Keele, then they shouldn't not apply there simply because they got a good UKCAT score.

Similarly, you shouldn't apply to Barts if you hate the course just because you might get in.

Well if they want to go there badly, why not apply. All I'm saying is you've got a better chance playing to your strengths.

And Barts gave like 60% offers at the interview stage this year, so that just goes to show, playing to your strengths help sometimes.

In regards to course structure, you can't really make any decisions on that yet, especially since no ones actually experienced what PBL is actually like.
Its like hating porridge before actually trying it.
Baki
Don't listen to Degausser because he agrees with Johhnny. :awesome: <3

The strong UKCAT ones like Kings, Barts, Newcastle always get a load of people who aren't informed/want to go there badly applying to them with low UKCAT scores. Because of this you end up with less people at the interview stage.

Although don't take my word for it, do some damn research. Thats lesson number 2 for your kids, don't take peoples word for it.

Thats completely illogical. You're ignoring the idea that lots of people with good CAT scores will apply there because they think its an automatic path to interview, thus increasing the competition regardless.

The second point is very true though.

Latest