The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Even if it did, so what?

Also people still use the word "gentlemen". "Chivalry" is about as relevant as knighthoods to modern society though.
Reply 2
I think men are more afraid to hold a door for girl, for fear she'll rant at them for thinking she's weak. Same goes for giving up their seats on buses etc etc...

It's a shame. I don't want to push my own doors, I want an etiquettely-demanded slave!
Reply 3
assmaster
I think men are more afraid to hold a door for girl, for fear she'll rant at them for thinking she's weak. Same goes for giving up their seats on buses etc etc...

When have you actually seen that happen?
I hold doors for people regardless of their gender, it's called being polite, and has nothing to do with 'chivalry' or being a gentleman.
Reply 4
As others have said, so what if it has killed it off?
Reply 5
Chivalry never existed outside of Medieval and Victorian literature. On the battle field a knight was just trying to survive, towards women men were always just trying to get laid.
Meus
These two terms seem prevalent only in Jane Austen novels and black & white films. So, did feminism kill them off in modern society?

Sexism is also prevalent in Jane Austen novels and black & white films.

While chivalry is irrelevant these days, courtesy and kindness are still pretty important and require no gender distinction.
Reply 7
Blátönn
Chivalry never existed outside of Medieval and Victorian literature. On the battle field a knight was just trying to survive, towards women men were always just trying to get laid.

I suppose "do you wanna have a drink later" has just replaced the fight to the deaths, then
Modernity killed it off. There's nothing wrong with being a gentlemen towards others (so long as people are gentlemen to all humans, not just women; the latter is so cringingly patronising).
Why couldn't the poll have just had "yes" and "no"?
Reply 10
imomo16
When have you actually seen that happen?
I hold doors for people regardless of their gender, it's called being polite, and has nothing to do with 'chivalry' or being a gentleman.

Oh, I saw it happen. Some young grungy "typical feminist" who was probably about 23 or something - bloke gave up his seat for her on the bus and she just caused a MASSIVELY awkward scene, saying "do you think women need MEN'S help? DO YOU?!"
Poor bloke, I really felt for him...

With the doors, I meant letting girls walk through in front of them, not just holding them open.
Reply 11
assmaster
I think men are more afraid to hold a door for girl, for fear she'll rant at them for thinking she's weak.

I think its more fear of seeming creepy.

A lot of people nowadays seem to hold the door open for hot ladies then stand suspiciously close so the person can't help but brush past.

It then makes others feel like they're doing something wrong, even if they are innocently opening the door and keeping out the way :rolleyes:

assmaster

With the doors, I meant letting girls walk through in front of them, not just holding them open.

I'm sure there's a more cynical view to why that happens too :p:
Reply 12
I rather like chivalry. Long live on.
Reply 13
Blátönn

Apparently, the chivalric code thingy said that if you saw a rival knight with a woman, you could kill him and then rape her.

Two birds with one stone.
Reply 14
assmaster
Oh, I saw it happen. Some young grungy "typical feminist" who was probably about 23 or something - bloke gave up his seat for her on the bus and she just caused a MASSIVELY awkward scene, saying "do you think women need MEN'S help? DO YOU?!"
Poor bloke, I really felt for him...

Lets hear three cheers for generalisation!

assmaster

As someone has already astutely pointed out, I think there's a slightly more sordid reason for that :yes:
Reply 15
What I find amusing are those over the top men who say things like:
"I have the rights to punch a woman!!"
"I'm not gonna open doors for women - those damn feminists only want equality when it suits them!"
"I'm not gonna buy my girl an engagement ring cos they want feminism init!"
"Why should I give up my seat for women when they want feminism?!"

:rofl:

There's a difference between chivalry and common courtesy.

Edit: but to answer the question, I don't think it has killed it off, but I do think some men have the attitude that they want to "get back" at feminism by being rude to women and claiming that "you asked for it when you became a feminist". :facepalm:
Absinth
What I find amusing are those over the top men who say things like:
"I have the rights to punch a woman!!"
"I'm not gonna open doors for women - those damn feminists only want equality when it suits them!"
"I'm not gonna buy my girl an engagement ring cos they want feminism init!"
"Why should I give up my seat for women when they want feminism?!"

:rofl:

There's a difference between chivalry and common courtesy.

Edit: but to answer the question, I don't think it has killed it off, but I do think some men have the attitude that they want to "get back" at feminism by being rude to women and claiming that "you asked for it when you became a feminist". :facepalm:

Is giving seats up on a bus solely for women common courtesy though, and is it also common courtesy for a man to buy their potential fiancé an engagement ring?
Reply 17
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Is giving seats up on a bus solely for women common courtesy though, and is it also common courtesy for a man to buy their potential fiancé an engagement ring?

I guess the last two aren't really related, but that was just a list few amusing things I've heard in these forums.
imomo16

As someone has already astutely pointed out, I think there's a slightly more sordid reason for that :yes:

Lets hear three cheers for generalisation!
Reply 19
no, feminism didn't kill of manly decency. extreme hyper-feminism may, but that's not even a powerful force in society. i still try to open doors and stuff....but i also do that to non-women :smile: