The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

There aren't any current post graduate students on here (that I know of) meaning all of our experiences of post graduate accommodation is somewhat limited, at the very best.

You can either go for accommodation owned by the university, or in the private sector. If you go for the university owned ones you get a room contract for the academic year only, so September to June. If you get a room in a private flat it is a one year lease, unless you move into an existing flat. University accommodation includes bills whereas private obviously does not.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/new-prospective/postgraduate/pg-self-catered

is the list of accommodation available to post graduate students.
There will not be any undergrad students there so its not really a proportional figure or anything as Edinburgh has totally seperate residences. Holland Annex is in the Pollock Halls area so therefore is in very close proximity to first year undergraduates although I don't know whether you would have a seperate corridor/entrance hall or what the specifics are there. West Mains Road is next to Kings Buildings which is the Science and Engineering college so I would only opt to stay here if your programme will be at KB as it is a fair way out from the centre and the rest of the university buildings.

You can find private accommodation advertised in various places - the EUSA (Edinburgh University Students Association) has a forum where people advertise available rooms in the accommodation section, here http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/forum/
Private accommodation tends to be cheaper as the lease is for one year but it is still more expensive than in other cities in the UK. A lot of the buildings here are old, Georgian or similar style tennement blocks meaning you get huge rooms, high ceilings and big windows.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
oxymoronic
There aren't any current post graduate students on here (that I know of) meaning all of our experiences of post graduate accommodation is somewhat limited, at the very best.

Thanks, that was very helpful! I'm glad to know that the rooms are generally big...I've been out of school for a year and was dreading going back to an undergrad-sized closet of a room. I'm going to do an MSc in English, so I guess I'd want to be closer to George Square than the King's buildings?

Is it worth splurging for an ensuite? And do you or anyone know if Mylne Court is too far out of the way to walk to campus? It seems like a lot of people bike, since many of the flats advertise secure storage...
Meagan
I'm going to do an MSc in English, so I guess I'd want to be closer to George Square than the King's buildings?

Is it worth splurging for an ensuite? And do you or anyone know if Mylne Court is too far out of the way to walk to campus? It seems like a lot of people bike, since many of the flats advertise secure storage...

KB is sciences, so yes, you'll be centred in George Square. English Lit (assuming you mean Lit when you say "English") is centralised in the David Hume Tower.

Mylne Court is about 10 minutes from George Square, possibly 15 if you're stuck behind some slow wandering tourists. Biking is fairly unnecessary from there (or pretty much anywhere that the university offers) as you're never going to get out of the crowds of people and traffic enough to actually make the most of cycling.
Reply 4
Does anyone else have any other suggestions for which are the best postgraduate accommodations? I found the website to be quite vague and I really want the inside scoop so I don't end up somewhere that is really bad!!!

thanks!
Reply 5
I organised my flat for next year through Edinburgh University's Student Homes service (http://www.studenthomes.accom.ed.ac.uk/Student/Search.aspx). I don't know how many flats are left now but the flats would definately be suitable for a post-grad student. My boyfriend and I are getting a brilliant 2-bedroom flat about 1 minute from the George Square campus. If you were looking for a flat just for yourself I think they do have some 1-bedroom flats available.
Reply 6
Thanks, that was very helpful! I'm glad to know that the rooms are generally big...I've been out of school for a year and was dreading going back to an undergrad-sized closet of a room. I'm going to do an MSc in English, so I guess I'd want to be closer to George Square than the King's buildings?

Hey Meagan, I'm going to be doing an MSc in Literature too - which one are you taking?

With regard to accommodation, Richmond and Mylne's Court were my top two choices, does anyone know anything about them?
Reply 7
ashwitha
Hey Meagan, I'm going to be doing an MSc in Literature too - which one are you taking?

With regard to accommodation, Richmond and Mylne's Court were my top two choices, does anyone know anything about them?

I've a friend who's lived in Mylne's Court for at least a year, and she quite liked it, I think.
Reply 8
ashwitha
I'm going to be doing an MSc in Literature too - which one are you taking?

I'm also doing the MSc in Literature -- Literature and Modernity: 1900 to the present. I also put Richmond and Mylne's as my top two choices. I don't know much about them. I based my decision on which ones offered en suite rooms.
Reply 9
I'm also doing the MSc in Literature -- Literature and Modernity: 1900 to the present. I also put Richmond and Mylne's as my top two choices. I don't know much about them. I based my decision on which ones offered en suite rooms.

Haha, same here - except I'm doing the MSc in Literature and Society 1688-1900 :smile:
Reply 10
I am curious, has anyone received an offer for postgraduate accommodation yet?
Reply 11
Not yet. I keep checking my online student account.
Reply 12
Just got my offer today - Fleming House, Richmond Place

Anyone else? :smile:
Churchill House, Richmond Place.

and I'm MSc Social Anthropology BTW :biggrin:

and is it just me or is every post grad. who's getting their offers at this time are all getting Richmond place?
Reply 14
AHHHH I haven't heard anything yet. Did they email you? or did you find out on MyEd?
Reply 15
zuzzys
AHHHH I haven't heard anything yet. Did they email you? or did you find out on MyEd?

I got an automated email from Accommodation Services telling me to check MyEd.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll hear back soon!
Reply 16
Mr.Bigglesworth
Churchill House, Richmond Place.

and I'm MSc Social Anthropology BTW :biggrin:

and is it just me or is every post grad. who's getting their offers at this time are all getting Richmond place?

I'm Churchill House, Richmond Place, too.

MSc Literature and Modernity
Reply 17
hey anyone got mylnes court? specifically Patrick Geddes Hall?
I had actually applied for the studio option but i believe i have been allocated the one where 5 people share the flat...
Reply 18
kartrak
hey anyone got mylnes court? specifically Patrick Geddes Hall?
I had actually applied for the studio option but i believe i have been allocated the one where 5 people share the flat...

OMG. me too but I'm in Edward Salvesen Hall. I asked for a studio aswell but got put in a standard single, but it doesnt mention how many roommates I wil have.
Reply 19
zuzzys
OMG. me too but I'm in Edward Salvesen Hall. I asked for a studio aswell but got put in a standard single, but it doesnt mention how many roommates I wil have.

u can figure it out by checking the weekly room tarrif...mine is 102 gbp per week i believe...which is the same as the 5 room share , so there u go...